Squeek at idle? 1.9 tdi

Hi all, Ive just noticed sometimes at idle there is a squeeking sound from the engine bay down around the alternator area. When the car is started from cold there is no squeek. Has anyone experienced similar and been able to fix please?

Thanks, Lee

Obvious points here are usually worn or slack drive belt. The engine will be running at a slightly higher idle when cold and the problem will be less apparent.

Try a little bit of silicon spray to see if it stops it (don't go overboard!!!!!)

Edited by demonufo

Thanks for the replies guys. Ive checked out the link Lumac sent and that is exactly the noise i am talking about. Brilliant mate ! Thanks again.

Your welcome

Hope you get it sorted one way or another

The description sounds like what my car was doing (not listened to the videos)... eventually the pulley on the alternator broke off :-( I changed the pulley, and also put in a new tensioner (180k). Getting the alternator out was a bit time consuming, but nothing too complicated.

I have a similar noise,only much quiter.I checked the belt and it was a bit dusty,so I clened it by droppind some mixture of water and liquid soap.No noise at all after that.

Your welcome

Hope you get it sorted one way or another

Ive dripped water on the power steering belt at idle and instantly the noise disappeared so it looks like the culprit, read that tip on another thread. .......... oh what fun ! :giggle:

Something to check is the alternator pulley. It is a clutched one way pulley, if they seize up the belt jumps about more than normal, this can damage the belt tensioner. Quite often the tensioner is changed but the reason of its failure is overlooked.

The easiest way to check if it's free is very carefully insert a small screwdriver into the alternator (engine off of course) and see if you can rotate the cooling fan inside, you should be able to move it one way and not the other. If it's seized the pulley can be changed on it's own but will probably need the alternator removing to do it and requires a special tool to remove.