Emissions - what emissions?

Well, first MOT well and truly passed this morning. One thing I did notice was just how low the emissions are. What comes out of the exhaust is practically fresh air! You are allowed 0.2% vol CO emissions on the fast idle - my car was producing just 0.003% Similar story with hydro carbons - the limit is 200ppm vol - my car - 0 - nothing. I think it's fair to say that modern engines are pretty efficient! :thumbup:

Well, first MOT well and truly passed this morning. One thing I did notice was just how low the emissions are. What comes out of the exhaust is practically fresh air! You are allowed 0.2% vol CO2 emissions on the fast idle - my car was producing just 0.003% Similar story with hydro carbons - the limit is 200ppm vol - my car - 0 - nothing. I think it's fair to say that modern engines are pretty efficient! :thumbup:

That is 0.2% CO not CO2. You notice how clean modern engines are when you drive behind a 70's motor and smell the petrol in the exhaust :(

Good to see you are keeping the local air fresh :)

Just up Hollins Hill in Guiseley

I'll keep my eyes open for you when I'm out and about - although that isn't very often! And you are correct - it is CO not CO2 I just typed it without thinking. I'll be editing that. lol

Didn't one of the manufacturers (Saab?) used to advertise that the air comming out of the exhaust pipe was actualy cleaner than the air going in the intake?

Maybe but advertising standards have come on a long way since, for example, Craven A cigarettes were advertised as being "kind to your throat"

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/hommedia.ashx?id=10176&size=Large