FSI TFSI ARRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I have an 06 vrs am I right on understanding that mine is the FSI Engine ?

TFSI is the newer model with a cam chain and the oil filter on top .

FSI is mine with a cam belt and oil filter on the bottom ??

your vrs is a tfsi! i think your getting mixed up with the newer tsi, as having the cam chain which is the latest model vrs's

damm beaten to it i must learn to type faster!

Edited by furn

If you lift the bonnet the engine cover usually says what it is.

http://s946.photobuc...02.jpg&newest=1

Yep, separate airbox and the TSI marking on the engine cover are the give aways on the new unit:

26-09-2009002.jpg

Previous unit has the air filter integrated into the engine cover, and is denoted as 'FSI Turbo' on the engine cover itself. This isn't a great picture, so ignore the non-standard carbon-type air intake! But you get the idea:

stefanat12.jpg

Yep, separate airbox and the TSI marking on the engine cover are the give aways on the new unit:

26-09-2009002.jpg

Previous unit has the air filter integrated into the engine cover, and is denoted as 'FSI Turbo' on the engine cover itself. This isn't a great picture, so ignore the non-standard carbon-type air intake! But you get the idea:

stefanat12.jpg

how accessible is the air filter after gettin what the stealers said was a bitch to get off engine cover ?

+1 - just the one I was going to post emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Allow an hour for the task though! And the first time it comes off it can be a right pain, because often the rubber grommits used to mount it have stuck in position. A bit of grease spray helps when these go back on.

Overall - a bloody pain in the neck and it's no wonder that they re-designed it for the TSI. It should never have been signed off like that in the first place...

+1 - just the one I was going to post emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Aye, somewhat coincidentally I'd been searching older threads trying to find an answer to this question and I saw you'd mentioned it a while ago!

The Search function works!

Yes, the EA888 unit is chain driven.

And if you'd like a bit more info and comparison against the previous EA113 'TFSI' unit, it has new pistons, piston rings, a regulated oil pump, a new vacuum pump, a new high-pressure fuel pump and a new mass airflow sensor. Emissions are 170g/km and the fuel economy is around 10% better over the EA113. It also has a lower compression ratio of 9.6:1 compared with 10.5:1.

TFSI is the newer model with a cam chain and the oil filter on top .

??

how on earth do you change the oil filter WITHOUT oil draining out all over the engine when you lift it out???

Seems a crazy system to me.

how on earth do you change the oil filter WITHOUT oil draining out all over the engine when you lift it out???

Seems a crazy system to me.

IIRC the oil filters have a one way valve on them now to prevent this.

IIRC the oil filters have a one way valve on them now to prevent this.

You ever change an oil filter that hasn't dripped? Even with a valve on it? Of course it's going to drip. Daft!

I guess VAG didn't have enough fun with horizontal oil filters on the old 1.3 petrol blocks and decided to totally invert it. Nice one VW!