changing number plate

just bought a private number plate for the new vrs. the existing plate doesnt have screws holding it, so i assume its just stuck on, whats the best way to remove it? do i just force it off? or heat it first? be grateful for advice from anyone who has changed their plates.thanks

Hi jhe, exactly the same when I replaced my plates. Heating the plate area won't do much as the plate will be too thick, things will start to deform before the plate is off. I gently lifted my plate from one corner and whilst gently pulling I broke away the adhevise with a screwdriver as it came into sight.

After cleaning things up I bought some ABT Wolfsburg plate surrounds and screwed these onto the car, the new plates look pretty cool in their surrounds, below are the ones I bought but it's all down to personal taste, as long as you don't drill new holes in the boot-lid then there is no right or wrong way to do it. enjoy your new plates.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-AUDI-Wolfsburg-Number-Plate-Surrounds-X-2-GTI-R32-/160589027693?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2563da196d

They will be held on with double sided tape. Pull them off slowly and remove any sticky bits with you fingernails. Dont use a scraper or knife!!! I removed any excess sticky bits with a UPVC cleaner a some white roll.

When I replaced my plates I screwed them on as I found the tape that I had was useless!!

When drilling make sure to drill from the back with it firmly on a piece of flat wood or you wil split the plastic.

Good luck!! B)

thanks for replies.was a bit worried about damaging paintwork as its only a week old!! will try your suggestions.

dont really want to drill into it, but thanks for suggestion.

Edited by jhe

I'd never drill plates personally, as eventually water will get in and start separately the layers within the plate.

Either use a plate holder, or decent quality adhesive plate pads. Plenty of places sell them, including Halfords, motor factors and there's loads of decent sellers on eBay.

As for removal, I use fishing line as well, using a sawing action behind the plate to cut through the pads. Then a solvent to remove any residue - WD40 is effective.

thanks for the replies some good advice given,never thought of sticking plates to original ones, but the number plate off dealer is larger than standard where their name is aded to bottom, its irregular shape at bottom so will prob try the fishing line route, just recieved the v750 today from dvla so will have to sort out in the the next week or so.

just a little more advice needed if anyone can enlighten me,when i send paperwork to dvla do i get a set amount of time when they issue tax disc log book etc to change the plates or do the plates have to be changed immediateley?

thanks for the replies some good advice given,never thought of sticking plates to original ones, but the number plate off dealer is larger than standard where their name is aded to bottom, its irregular shape at bottom

And it would also look utterly crap.

HTH. :thumbup:

You could always stick your new plates on top of your existing ones...save a lot of hassel...just a thought.

Trouble happens when you get stopped by the law and they see you have one plate stuck on top of another, big holes tend to be dug at that point!! Better to remove, I had this on my caravan, I just pulled the old numberplate from one side and as the glue came into view carefully cut it with a stanley knife. Even left enough glue on there to stick my new plate to.

Ian

Trouble happens when you get stopped by the law and they see you have one plate stuck on top of another, big holes tend to be dug at that point!! Better to remove, I had this on my caravan, I just pulled the old numberplate from one side and as the glue came into view carefully cut it with a stanley knife. Even left enough glue on there to stick my new plate to.

Ian

Hi, found the sticky pads could not cope with holding plate on front of my Leon FR, ended up getting (for free) a surround from local Merc dealership which clips together, so far no probs after 2 months, no drilling has to be good.