Help convincing my wife that the Yeti was the right choice

damian.r.smith

This is one of the most amusing threads I've read on here!! It's like sitting in the pub listening to mates chatting!! :) Mines a pint! :rofl:

Edited by TJK

I am a mum of two, and I won't let my husband buy too big a car, I consider myself pretty good at maneuvering and parking (because I've had lots of practice) but I wouldn't like to have to find a space for anything bigger than our yeti in a tight little car park either in our town or on hols somewhere like Cornwall! I don't need my children to stand up in the boot, and I can fit another child in the back easy.

When the kids were smaller we had a tt (which I hated driving tbh) and then an audi a4 cabriolet when their legs stuck out too far and would need to be surgically removed to get them in the back seats of the tt :yes: so I know what it's like needing to get new child car seats, dealing with a small boot, trying to fit buggies in - I just bought a mini buggy to fit the boot and found a way of reducing our luggage! I saw no need to suddenly buy an enormous great tank of a cars just for a couple of children, our parents managed just fine without them..

This time I got to help pick the car, and I'm really happy with the yeti, high driving position and easy to park. And I don't even agree that the boot is cramped.. :p

Is it just me or does anyone else think Turnedlight is a bit young to be a Mum and married? :giggle:

My Grandson is two in November and I reckon he'll only just be able to use a pedal car! :giggle::giggle:

Is it just me or does anyone else think Turnedlight is a bit young to be a Mum and married?

Young is when you see a young child, perhaps 5, calling for their gran who doesnt look far off your own age of early thirties! Yes I saw this recently, and the mum didnt look much older than 16/17.

• 2 weeks later...

Young is when you see a young child, perhaps 5, calling for their gran who doesnt look far off your own age of early thirties! Yes I saw this recently, and the mum didnt look much older than 16/17.

I had a similar experience to this. I teach the flute and still remember my first ever pupil - a young lass of 7 years old. I used to frequently see her parents for years after lessons ceased (when she was about 9 years old) and then no contact for a long time and I often wondered how they were - indeed if still alive. Last year I met them in Tesco. Still looked the same, very fit, active and looking younger then we are - 66. (they are a few years older). Naturally I asked after their daughter. I have got used to being told by parents that my past pupils are now married and with children but was taken back when they informed me that their daughter was now a grandmother !!

After many (and I mean many many months) deliberating over what car we should replace our VW Touareg with I finally bought (on its way from Germany as I type) a Yeti.

Here's the problem. Two very young children and my wife has been spoilt with a huge 4x4 diesel gussling beast of a car. I hate the Touareg, it's a sod to drive and hateful to own. Crazy road tax, awful MPG and very slow. Not My better half however loves it. I had to bribe her by saying she could have an iPhone if she agreed to selling the Touareg. She caught me out as she agreed, bough an iPhone the next day and left me to deal with he car.

Anyway, after reluctantly test driving it (I haven't even tried it myself) I decided to cut our losses with the VW and buy an already specced out Yeti that is someones cancelled order. It's a 2WD 1.2TSI (my choice over 1.4 as I feel we need to give our planet something back after owning a Co2 monster) with b.tooth, auto/come home lights, xenons, special paint, ESP, heated front screen and a few other nice things (can't remember). This forum has been a great help before I even put the deposit down.

Problems I am facing, despite the Yeti being delivered in a couple of weeks are:

- "it's too small, we won't be able to fit the buggy and everything else in"

- "I can't stand the kids up in the boot and put there shoes on"

- "I can't fit another person in the back"

Blah blah blah.

Now she wants to trade my BMW in for a Mini Clubman!!!!!! Crazy!

Anyway, I was hoping to hear from anyone out there who has kids, uses this car as a family car and could give me some ammunition to fire at my wife. I have just bought her a brand new car (first time we have ever owned from new) and was hoping she would be excited about it.

I personally cannot wait until it arrives. It looks great, everyone says its great and it will be loads cheaper to run than the VW.

Cheers everyone.

Hello Gadgetman,

I have recently taken delivery of a yeti greenline elegance.

It's brilliant!

I can stand a tall 7 year old up in the boot,in fact I can put

the rear middle seat down and my kids crawl through into the boot

and then stand up!

Yeti has loads of room,great ride,filled it up 2 weeks ago and it's still

got three quarters of a tank.

Seats are fantastic,ride is great.

Sometimes have to open the window to make sure the

engine is on as it's so quite!

Very hard convincing my other half to use the yeti as she drives an

Elise r!

Now even she is begining to warm to the charm of the yeti!

Ps the I phone works great with the built in hands free kit!

Hello Gadgetman,

I have recently taken delivery of a yeti greenline elegance.

It's brilliant!

I can stand a tall 7 year old up in the boot,in fact I can put

the rear middle seat down and my kids crawl through into the boot

and then stand up!

Yeti has loads of room,great ride,filled it up 2 weeks ago and it's still

got three quarters of a tank.

Seats are fantastic,ride is great.

Sometimes have to open the window to make sure the

engine is on as it's so quite!

Very hard convincing my other half to use the yeti as she drives an

Elise r!

Now even she is begining to warm to the charm of the yeti!

Ps the I phone works great with the built in hands free kit!

Hi Snowman, it's nice to hear about a Greenline Elegance and that your enjoying it.

Any chance of some pics and some more details as it's what we are waiting for and they are few and far between on here.

Dom.

We had 4 adults and a child in ours with luggage (no child seats though) and comfortably toured the UK. Its a 1.2 SE and returned around 40 mpg. Easily the best car I have ever owned (well on par with the MX5) super build quality and streets ahead of my MINI in reliability. Ignore the badge - anyways I have had more interest in the Yeti from people in carparks than any "snob badge" motor! Sadly I have to sell it as I'm moving to the USA and I will have to buy something else as they don't sell them there.

The closest equivalent in USA would be a Tiguan.

A VW dealer in the United Bluff might be able to service the Yeti - worth an inquiry to a local dealer if you know where you are going.

The closest equivalent in USA would be a Tiguan.

A VW dealer in the United Bluff might be able to service the Yeti - worth an inquiry to a local dealer if you know where you are going.

Thanks but I already looked into that - $4,000 to ship it and $$$ 000s to get it approved so I can use it on the road. Even then it's not guaranteed! Even my left-hand drive MX5 would have fallen foul of the same rules. Looked at a Tiguan but they come with a 2 litre engine and get very expensive once you spec them up to a Yeti SE. I could pretend I'm with Top Gear as there is an exception for temporary imports....

Okay, father of two boys (4 and 1) and married to a wife who stated we needed a bigger car than our 207. Did the research well before Yeti released (yes I am smug about that, I got in before the bandwagon rolled up :rofl: ) and she loves it. Not a lot bigger than previous car but miles more space inside.

Loads of room for the kids in the back (one from birth baby seat and one high backed booster), plenty of boot space and our 2.0 TDi is averaging around 50mpg per tank so very happy. Have also managed to fit an adult on the middle seat between the kids comfortably.

We loaded it up for a family holiday in Centre Parcs and only used the footwells for the cool bag - boot filled to the roof including a pushchair and a childs bike as well as all the sports equipment, clothes (and as the people we were holidaying with were expecting no longer required baby stuff like a bath, sterilliser etc)

We've ordered another car and the wife's first choice was another Yeti but we couldn't quite afford it :'(

Oh, and if you are particularly sporty I managed to fit 4 large cricket bags in the boot and 4 large cricketers in very comfortably for a long away game.

• 4 weeks later...