Advice on buying a used 06-08 vrs extate

Any advice on things to look out for when buying a vrs estate of 06-08 vintage with about 60,000 miles?

Things i have picked up so far from the forum:

Check for rust at the fold in the boot lid

Check for rear inner tyre wear

Timing belt changed

Thanks again

Make sure it's petrol ;)

Also try and go for 07 model year or later cos they made 18s, dual climate, rear electric windows, jumbo box, and cruise standard. They also added mp3 stream head unit, aux socket in jumbo box and change brake calipers from green to red.

Race blue ones will be cheaper too as they're ten a penny!

Ask if the ABS ecu has been replaced this is a common and expensive fault affecting the traction control.

Yes go for race blue therefore you will benefit from looking the same as every other vrs on the road :)

But we all know they are faster in blue! :rofl: cruise control is a nice feature to have,some 08's had them as standard but my 58 plate hasnt got it,maxidot is another nice option to look for too.Colour choice is a personal thing,i wanted one in blue as i really like the colour & didnt want one in white or red(dont think they look as nice on a vrs) & my last mk 1 vrs was black so didnt want another black one.

Yes, petrol it is!

So needs:

FSH

ABS ecu replaced

I see one that is registered 08 but has 17 inch wheels (I would prefer these to 18s), no jumbo box and no cruise control but it has red calipers. Does that mean it is an MY06 then?

I see one that is registered 08 but has 17 inch wheels (I would prefer these to 18s), no jumbo box and no cruise control but it has red calipers. Does that mean it is an MY06 then?

I expect that one is an import and will have normal air conditioning rather than the dual zone climate control if it doesn't have the jumbo box (no air vents in the back). I saw a few without climate control when I bought mine and later found out that the low spec newer cars tend to be imports.

The centre console with climate control looks like this (there are also heated seat controls in this photo, which I think were an option):

http://www.auto.cz/skoda-octavia-rs-2-0-tdi-1421/foto?uid=453311c3471c6

Ones without climate control just have 3 dials and no digital temperature displays.

I'd try and find one with as many extras as possible as things like parking sensors and cruise control do come in handy.

Regarding the 18" wheels, I expect you could easily swap those for 17s with someone on here with some cash your way.

Don't like the sound of that! Import would not be good i'd guess. Likely explains why it's pretty cheap :(

An import model would have a lower resale value and you'd certainly get a lower px value from a dealer. I've just looked on Autotrader and found a 2008 VRS hatch without climate control (but with 18" wheels) and a main dealer is selling that with no mention of it being an import. It's not particularily cheap either, so there do seem to be cars with strange specifications around.

I've just noticed you're in Ireland, maybe the standard specifications are different over there. I'm sure someone will be along to advise in a bit.

Edited by Gachet

My 06 has 17s and jumbo box and climate control. It's not an imPort, there are a lot like this around.

Also I have to agree petrol is the one to go for best of both worlds 200 bhp and 40+ mpg.

I have Owned a diesel and a petrol vrs so I'm qualified to say that! I tend to hear the diesels have more engine probs too. Dpf etc ....

My 06 has 17s and jumbo box and climate control. It's not an imPort, there are a lot like this around.

The OP said the 2008 model he'd seen didn't have the jumbo box (so won't have dual zone climate control), that what made me think it must be an import.

The OP said the 2008 model he'd seen didn't have the jumbo box (so won't have dual zone climate control), that what made me think it must be an import.

Or registered late perhaps

No, there are a couple of these around. Think although it was specced as standard, it was presumably possible to deselect it still for a cost-saving.

No, there are a couple of these around. Think although it was specced as standard, it was presumably possible to deselect it still for a cost-saving.

That gives hope! thanks

What is the verdict on inner rear tyre wear?

Do all VRS models have it or is it just mainly a problem with the 2009 facelift onwards models?

It is making me hesitant about the car, it's not right forking out £100's for tyres that are wearing quickly.

That gives hope! thanks

What is the verdict on inner rear tyre wear?

Do all VRS models have it or is it just mainly a problem with the 2009 facelift onwards models?

It is making me hesitant about the car, it's not right forking out £100's for tyres that are wearing quickly.

The inner tyre wear is accross all models not just the vRS :'(

would it not need to be registered 2 years late then?

theres loads around on 08 plate mate...... pretty sure 18s climate and jumbo was just an optional extra called the 'comfort pack'

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skoda-Octavia-2-0TDI-PD-170-6-Speed-vRS-Racing-Blue-/170644382663?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27bb32a3c7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-57-SKODA-OCTAVIA-2-0T-FSI-VRS-HATCHBACK-5D-1984CC-/250818699958?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a65f5a2b6

Also try and go for 07 model year or later cos they made 18s, dual climate, rear electric windows, jumbo box, and cruise standard. They also added mp3 stream head unit, aux socket in jumbo box and change brake calipers from green to red.

These extras weren't standard on that model, they were part of a pack as far as I'm aware - I have a 56 car which is MY2007 as it has the Stream MP3 HU and red calipers but no climate control, no rear electric windows, no jumbo box and 17in wheels. It's not an import either so I wouldn't assume the car will as I had thought.

John

These extras weren't standard on that model, they were part of a pack as far as I'm aware - I have a 56 car which is MY2007 as it has the Stream MP3 HU and red calipers but no climate control, no rear electric windows, no jumbo box and 17in wheels. It's not an import either so I wouldn't assume the car will as I had thought.

John

I Think you must just have to look around as from 56 - 07 plate its seems there are different options as mine is a 56 but has 18in wheels, stream mp3, rear electric windows, dual climate control but no aux it also has green calipers which of coarse where before the red ones yet has some later options fitted.