Public Sector Pensions

slider

Desperate response LOL. I don't know how you missed the expenses (fraud is more accurate) bandwagon. The public sector perks are many. Relocation, sports and social (discounted 'pubs') career development/training, travel, expenses. Public servants have shorter working hours. They have far greater annual leave. The majority have a pension v. the majority don't - I underestimated the worth of this, ONS think it could be worth as much as 30% of salary. The attitude of public servants stinks, and their strike position is indefensible. Why on earth should taxpayers pay for a gold-plated scheme for public servants when the majority of private sector workers can’t even afford basic provision for themselves?

Where are you getting this tripe from? Someone has a very large chip on their shoulder, i can only assume you have never worked for the public sector.

Expenses? What Expenses? I can claim business mileage if i use my car for business miles the same as everyone else in the UK can

Relocation - No

Sports and Social - WTF!! We don't even get discount to use the council leisure facilities

Career Development - I went on more training when i was in the private sector (they paid for a Uni Degree)

Annual Leave - I get 23 Days and have been there 5 years so No

Pension - their contribute 12% which is granted better than private but no final salary or 80year rule anymore

Shorter Hours - Again WTF? I have to do 37hours like most 'office' jobs

Your attitude stinks to be honest and you seemingly have no idea what goes on in the public sector as proved above.

As for the Pay gap of 7% or whatever it was i think that that is explained by the fact that there are a lot of older people working in the public sector who have worked their way up to the top of their pay scales under the old 'job for life scheme'. They are generally never got rid of either in a restructure as their years of service makes it expensive to pay off. Also having managers for managers sake also pushes up the average pay too.

Actually try working in a public sector job and soon see which side of the fence you would actually like to be on, i have said before and i will say again, i can't wait to get out and back into the private sector.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expenses? What Expenses? I can claim business mileage if i use my car for business miles the same as everyone else in the UK can

Annual Leave - I get 23 Days and have been there 5 years

Pension - their contribute 12% which is granted better than private but no final salary or 80year rule anymore

1. Some in the private sector can't claim milage

2. Annual leave....does that include all the Public bank holidays?????......I never got more than 21days or the legal minimum in the private sector......now I work for myself I don't get "annual leave"...can't afford to due the economic climate and all that!!!

3. Quite allot in the private sector don't even get an "employer" contribution pension, so have none unless they fully pay out of their own pockets for their own "pension fund".

4. Shorter hours EH???? I did "office" work and was starting at 8AM in the Morning and finishing at 6PM in the evening Monday to Friday.......ontop of a 1hrs drive each way!.......P.S. also try working in retail!!! I currently do 9:30am to 5:30pm including Saturday, Christmas Eve, Every Bank holiday Monday,....yeah nice short hours....my foot!!!! B)

1. Some in the private sector can't claim milage

2. Annual leave....does that include all the Public bank holidays?????......I never got more than 21days or the legal minimum in the private sector......now I work for myself I don't get "annual leave"...can't afford to due the economic climate and all that!!!

3. Quite allot in the private sector don't even get an "employer" contribution pension, so have none unless they fully pay out of their own pockets for their own "pension fund".

4. Shorter hours EH???? I did "office" work and was starting at 8AM in the Morning and finishing at 6PM in the evening Monday to Friday.......ontop of a 1hrs drive each way!.......P.S. also try working in retail!!! I currently do 9:30am to 5:30pm including Saturday, Christmas Eve, Every Bank holiday Monday,....yeah nice short hours....my foot!!!! B)

1. If they can't they can claim the tax back - My link

2. Doesn't include public holidays. My previous 2 private employers were both 23 days increasing to 25 or 28 after 5 years.

3. I know they don't but equally a lot do, again my previous 2 employers had a pension scheme

4. Average Office week contract is 35-40 hours so don't quite see what you are getting at? Again my previous 2 employers were 35hours weeks.... You sign a contract when you start work for a specified amount of hours at a specified salary...don't like it, don't sign it!

1. If they can't they can claim the tax back

2. Doesn't include public holidays. My previous 2 private employers were both 23 days increasing to 25 or 28 after 5 years.

3. I know they don't but equally a lot do, again my previous 2 employers had a pension scheme

4. Average Office week contract is 35-40 hours so don't quite see what you are getting at? Again my previous 2 employers were 35hours weeks....

You sign a contract when you start work for a specified amount of hours at a specified salary...don't like it, don't sign it!

1. I said not everyone......as not everyone knows about that tax rebate either!!!

2. So you get 23days PLUS ALL the public holidays.........and you say you're hard done by, being in the Public sector????

3. Employeers with under 20 total staff don't have to provide this it has been pointed out by others! Alot of small firms in the UK are under 20 people!!

4. Maybee you didn't read my post correctly when I did "office" work 8am to 6pm Mon to Fri = 50hrs less 5x1hr lunch breaks = 45hrs!!!....And currently I do around the 40hr mark in the shop then another 8hrs plus in the evening at home.

5. Your last remark....hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm........that can apply to you to eh??? Dosn't everyone do that???........Also isn't it well known in the small print of the contract that you sign that hours/perks/etc can be cut if the company/employeer is not making money/economic downturn etc......... that's the attitude I take when I sign a contract!!!!

1. I said not everyone......as not everyone knows about that tax rebate either!!!

2. So you get 23days PLUS ALL the public holidays.........and you say you're hard done by, being in the Public sector????

3. Employeers with under 20 total staff don't have to provide this it has been pointed out by others! Alot of small firms in the UK are under 20 people!!

4. Maybee you didn't read my post correctly when I did "office" work 8am to 6pm Mon to Fri = 50hrs less 5x1hr lunch breaks = 45hrs!!!....And currently I do around the 40hr mark in the shop then another 8hrs plus in the evening at home.

5. Your last remark....hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm........that can apply to you to eh??? Dosn't everyone do that???........Also isn't it well known in the small print of the contract that you sign that hours/perks/etc can be cut if the company/employeer is not making money/economic downturn etc......... that's the attitude I take when I sign a contract!!!!

1. is that my fault people don't know what they are entitled to?

2. Did i say i was hard done by? As i said i can't wait to get out.....and also as i said both my previous employers had better annual leave

3. again is this my fault? Public or private over 20employees i can still get a pension

4. again how is this my fault - most office work is less than 40hours

5. yes applies to everyone - your point being? you know the hours etc when you apply for the job/have an interview for the job. Don't see what relevance whatsoever this has to do with the public sector.

This is my last reply to this thread now as it has just turned into a public sector hating slanging match instead of being relevant to the OP. I am sure if the boot was on the other foot you wouldn't all be on here slating the private sector.

/unsubscribed B)

This is my last reply to this thread now as it has just turned into a public sector hating slanging match instead of being relevant to the OP. I am sure if the boot was on the other foot you wouldn't all be on here slating the private sector.

/unsubscribed B)

Please go back and re-read my earlier posts...........you might have to go back a couple of pages.....then you will see it from my perspective.........we all make our own beds and sleep in them..........but please understand, considering my private sector work circumstances........Why I get P155ED OFF with the Public sector!!! B)

Where are you getting this tripe from? Someone has a very large chip on their shoulder, i can only assume you have never worked for the public sector.

Relocation - No

Sports and Social - WTF!! We don't even get discount to use the council leisure facilities

Career Development - I went on more training when i was in the private sector (they paid for a Uni Degree)

Annual Leave - I get 23 Days and have been there 5 years so No

Your attitude stinks to be honest and you seemingly have no idea what goes on in the public sector as proved above.

As for the Pay gap of 7% or whatever it was i think that that is explained by the fact that there are a lot of older people working in the public sector who have worked their way up to the top of their pay scales under the old 'job for life scheme'. They are generally never got rid of either in a restructure as their years of service makes it expensive to pay off. Also having managers for managers sake also pushes up the average pay too.

Actually try working in a public sector job and soon see which side of the fence you would actually like to be on, i have said before and i will say again, i can't wait to get out and back into the private sector.

Expenses - my Brother works in the public sector and travels a fair bit - If he has an appointment at 9.00 in the morning 60 miles from home he stays overnight in a decent hotel and claims that!!!

I used to work in the public sector too, unfortunatly it was a 2 year contarct with not chance of extension - - worked my 35 hours week and was TOLD to go home is I was still at my desk at 4.30 of a Friday. I got discounts for all sorts of local facilities. Employer paid 12% into my pension - which also included considerable "death in srvice " benifits. I am now supposed to work a 37.5 hour week but am expected to cover a certain workload that is impossible within that - 40 hours+ is normal 50-60 not unusual at peak pressure points and no overtime paid. If I have a meeting 3 hrs drive away I am expected to get my @rse out of bed early to get there- why do I do it - because I need to keep my job!

I have no doubt that many in the public serrvice do sh@tty jobs and earn their keep but the same is true in the private sector - the debate is that when the country is in a hole why should the private sector workers suffer so that the public sector worker can keep there better pay and conditions

and before LOL chips in therte is no point argueing who put us in this mess - we are here now and all need to pay for the spades to dig ourselves out.