Which Octavia should I go for

Hi, I hope someone can advise as need to change my car soon. I have had a Renault Clio from new and it has served me well but I really like the Octavia. I used enjoy driving my mate’s 2004 1.9tdi Octavia Mk2 taxi until it gave up at 383 thousand miles. I want an Octavia for my private use, not for a taxi and I only do about ten thousand gentle miles a year. I cannot afford a brand new one but was thinking maybe a 08 1.6 fsi petrol would be a good choice. Could I ask if there are any issues with this engine and are there any known expensive maintenance surprises likely to crop up over time? Or maybe someone could recommend a different one. I am open to suggestions but I have my mind set on an Octavia. Thanks in advance.

You would be better off with a 1.4 TSI if you can get one for a decent price. The 1.6 is a bit gutless due to lack of turbo.

since you are aware of the miles you could get from a TDi why not got diesel? :thumbup: always a mileage to suit most budgets! If well maintained and documented to that effect it wouldn't put me off but then again thats me

+ 1 for TSI

Just had a quick look on A/Trader web site, £9000 will get you a 10 plate 1.4tsi FL (new front) hatch with 11,000miles on it, drive a hard bargain, who knows.

Hi, I hope someone can advise as need to change my car soon. I have had a Renault Clio from new and it has served me well but I really like the Octavia. I used enjoy driving my mate’s 2004 1.9tdi Octavia Mk2 taxi until it gave up at 383 thousand miles. I want an Octavia for my private use, not for a taxi and I only do about ten thousand gentle miles a year. I cannot afford a brand new one but was thinking maybe a 08 1.6 fsi petrol would be a good choice. Could I ask if there are any issues with this engine and are there any known expensive maintenance surprises likely to crop up over time? Or maybe someone could recommend a different one. I am open to suggestions but I have my mind set on an Octavia. Thanks in advance.

its a solid car, i think its a cam chain not belt too on the 1.6 so shouldnt be any expensive belt changes in 2012. The turbo petrols are better drives I am sure, but youre getting the same car - my missus has a 1.4fsi petrol golf - basically the same car as octaiva and it drives really well compared to anything- bit sluggish if you want to get a move on but right enough just going with the flow .

If youre doing low miles, and short runs would definately say NO to diesel.

Most people here usually say go & test drive your choice, I would say, get the best you can afford, as it will last longer,

I would agree with jrw, the 1.4Tsi, would be a good starting point.

I had 1 on loan for a day the only thing i will say, is that it really surprised me how well it shifted, specially as my local garage is on a busy main road, & it takes a bit of quick throttle response to get out into the traffic. ( I accidentally got wheelspin getting out into traffic, even though i was very aware I only had a 1.4, & had been driving a 170 BHP diesel, so was a bit cautious)

Go & test drive one - I think you may be surprised.

i drove the Octy 1.6 for a few months while i was waiting for my VRS to arrive. It was a really nice drive to be honest. Pretty punchy at low revs which tapered off higher up the rev's as you would expect without a turbo. Only thing is i was lucky if i got 36mpg(depending on where you drive ofc) plus the road tax for a petrol is nearly double what i pay for my Diesel VRS.

The 1.4 TSi i would expect to be a tad better than the 1.6 but i'd have to say i'd always go for a diesel, its not just because im tight...honest, i like the torque from the diesel

Edited by ooosh!

Thanks for your help Guys. I'll do some research on the 1.4Tsi Might be a better option if I can afford one. The 36 MPG quoted above for the 1.6 is a bit of a concern as I do mainly short urban runs. The diesels I know are very good but I also know from the taxi guys how big the repair bills can be if they go wrong and I think that my low mileage would not justify the extra cost of a diesel. If economy was my only

criteria I would look at the Fabia but I don't really like the look of the new shape ones. Let you know what I end up with. Thanks.

If youre doing low miles, and short runs would definately say NO to diesel.

Most people here usually say go & test drive your choice, I would say, get the best you can afford, as it will last longer,

I would agree with jrw, the 1.4Tsi, would be a good starting point.

I had 1 on loan for a day the only thing i will say, is that it really surprised me how well it shifted, specially as my local garage is on a busy main road, & it takes a bit of quick throttle response to get out into the traffic. ( I accidentally got wheelspin getting out into traffic, even though i was very aware I only had a 1.4, & had been driving a 170 BHP diesel, so was a bit cautious)

Go & test drive one - I think you may be surprised.

I have the 1.4 TSI in the VW Golf and it is very smooth and I have been very surprised by the really spritely performance for a 1.4. I say test drive this engine I think you will be pleasantly surprised I am very impressed, my previous car was a civic 1.8 (new shape) and the performance of the 1.4 is comparable.

If you can't stretch to a TSI then you may find a 2.0 FSI which is cheaper. They won't be as good on economy, but they have a similar amount of umph and are certainly cheaper.

I went for the 2.0 fsi, as I couldn't run to a 1.8 TSi, and didn't want a diseasal.

Downsides are it has a cambelt, but it has been more economical than my previous Focus 1.8, and when you plant the loud pedal things happen, rather than just noise...

Just make sure the clutch is good - they are bit dear to replace, as I know to my cost.