"Mooing" Brakes - Whats THE Fix

Hello all,

I've recently purchased an 04 MkI Octavia vRS from a fellow member on this site. Thus far it has been absoloutley fantastic and looks like a cracking buy. Other than a faulty Lambda sensor (which is neither here nor there) there is only one issue that the car seems to have, which is the "Mooing" brakes issue when reversing. The mooing is extremely loud and irritating and im afraid that i cant just grin and bear it.

From what i understand the official Skoda fix is to replace the rear pads with chamfered pads. I've had a look at various suppliers online for rear pads, however none of them seem to say wether theyre the chamfered ones or original. As such, i was wondering if anyone knows the specific part number for the chamfered pads?

Furthermore, how likely are the new pads to actually fix the problem? I've seen some talk of needing to recondition calipers as well, is this in all cases or just in a few rare instances?

My only reason for asking is that new pads looks reasonably cheap and im quite happy to carry out the work myself - so the cost and effort would be worth it.

In contrast new calipers look rather steep and reconditioning looks a bit over my head, and with the money situation at present, i dont think i could justifying getting them done at the garage.

Thanks for the help all

Cheers

I changed mine for some bosch items because i was sick of noise, after 2000 miles am they still seem okay and no noise as yet

Was that just the pads that you have replaced?

Going to have a look at the back wheels when its up on the ramp having the sensor done on saturday, see if it is one wheel or both that is making the squeal

Cheers

Was that just the pads that you have replaced?

Going to have a look at the back wheels when its up on the ramp having the sensor done on saturday, see if it is one wheel or both that is making the squeal

Cheers

He means he changed the discs for new Bosch ones.

My mooing was caused by a dragging caliper. I fixed it for good by replacing the caliper for a new one from these guys: http://www.brakesint.co.uk/

It hasn't made a noise since I changed the caliper 2 years ago, so it's a definite fix.

Before that I changed the discs to Zimmerman items and pads to Mintex Xtreme's, which made the mooing go away for a few weeks.

I'm replacing the discs and pads again soon, as the rear discs are a crusty mess! I have Pagid pads to go in, with new pad retaining springs, but need to source the discs. Volvomeg, did you say before that the Bosch discs have the Geomet coating on them? My Brembo discs do, and it's great so want the same at the rear.

I just changed the rear pads as the discs didnt look that old, it had cheapo crap pads in and i had had them out two or three times and cleaned them up and put a chanffered edges on them, it was my drivers rear wheel that was noisy as whoever worked on brakes before i got it pulled seal out of caliper and it had seized, i managed to free it off and clean it up and refit seal but its not 100 percent and sticks a little still, with bosch pads in it doesnt squeel in reverse anymore.

I changed front discs and pads a couple of months ago and for non genuine bits am quiet impressed with there bite even when pushed hard down country roads

Well i've had a quick look around on t'internet and Mintex seem to be doing Pads for about £15 each (part number MDB1377)

At that price it seems worth a punt replacing them, however would i need to do the discs as well?

Cheers

All of the discs and pads were done about 16months ago, so the discs are still in pretty good condition.

It will be going up on the ramp on Saturday when we do the sensor, so will have a good look at the rear wheels and try and work out what exactly the issue is, if its the pads or a stuck caliper

Cheers

He means he changed the discs for new Bosch ones.

My mooing was caused by a dragging caliper. I fixed it for good by replacing the caliper for a new one from these guys: http://www.brakesint.co.uk/

It hasn't made a noise since I changed the caliper 2 years ago, so it's a definite fix.

Before that I changed the discs to Zimmerman items and pads to Mintex Xtreme's, which made the mooing go away for a few weeks.

I'm replacing the discs and pads again soon, as the rear discs are a crusty mess! I have Pagid pads to go in, with new pad retaining springs, but need to source the discs. Volvomeg, did you say before that the Bosch discs have the Geomet coating on them? My Brembo discs do, and it's great so want the same at the rear.

Yep Bodge, I have the Bosch rear discs from AVS, and they have a non corrosive coating on them, just like the Brembo HC discs have (Which I have too). Using them with OE pads, and they don't squeal at all, unless the discs have got wet and rusted, then they groan until the rust disappears.

Yep Bodge, I have the Bosch rear discs from AVS, and they have a non corrosive coating on them, just like the Brembo HC discs have (Which I have too). Using them with OE pads, and they don't squeal at all, unless the discs have got wet and rusted, then they groan until the rust disappears.

Ahhar it was you that has them then! For some reason I thought it was Volvomeg.... :doh:

Might try and find those badboys in Hudds if I can. I'll try GSF, Andrew Page and Skoda themselves to see if I can find some coated ones.

Still can't believe we haven't spotted eachother yet! My car currently has several colonies of insect bonded to the front of it, and mud all up the side from Glastonbury, so I'd be ashamed to get spotted now anyway!!

Mines the same, but I didn't go to Glastonbury tho.. The front of the car is almost furry.

Do you or your car ever go to wakefield retail park, because I keep seeing a silver one there - Usually has two lasses getting out of it.

You can get a harmonic balancer for the rear calipers that will stop the noise. But its over £100. They pop up on ebay every so often though. Its not an uncommon thing with rear discs for some reason, had it on my old megane 225.

I was just about to ask about those, as ive found one on Ebay for £55 - will they fix this issue?

I've had a look at the brakes on both rear wheels and they both looks pretty much pristine, plus the "Mooing" has been completely absent today, wheras yesterday i couldnt reverse two inches without it sounding like a herd of farm animals.

Cheers