HELP Injector Cylinder 1 Open

Hi all, have just bought a 2005 Fabia vRS, and i've got a bit of a problem. Just been out in the car, and the engine light has come on as well as the traction control light. The car wouldn't drive properly (it was all juddery) and was acting as if the traction control kept cutting the power.

I've just taken the car to a local garage and they plugged in their diagnostic machine, and it came up with a fault saying Injector Cylinder 1 Open. The guy did say that VWs have a had a similar problem before, so just wondering if Fabias have had this problem too? He deleted the error/fault which meant the engine light went back to normal, and driving home again the light didn't come on and the car drove fine.

Any help/tips or previous problems with Fabia's regarding this issue please?

Off to Ireland Thursday, so could do with it being sorted before then if possible.

Could be the wiring in the head to the injectors, but not a common problem with skoda fabia's

It is across the PD range lol.

But if it was an electrical problem it would always be there and not intermittent.

Just took the car out again as needed to check tyre pressures. 5 mins down the road, car starts going all juddery again, engine light and traction control light came on again. It's even lumpy when just idling. Can it really just be an electrical fault, or is it the injector itself?

This has happened to me twice now, my Furby is on 106k now but mainly motorway miles and is well looked after - It is far more common to be the injector loom in my experience. My symptoms were exactly the same as yours, first time round I had the injector replaced and a year later (this month) it happened again showing a misfire on the second cylinder (same one as before). I have just had the injector replaced and for the sake of £50 the wiring loom replaced. You can read my earlier post below:

My injector woes post

You will find there are two part numbers for the injectors and both will fit, Moggytech emoticon-0148-yes.gif confirmed this for me as I had a spare one that was different to the ones I currently had fitted from my previous injector failure.

You can easily pick up an injector from a breakers for anything from £60 to £150.00, prices seem to vary massively. I used breakeryard.com to find the injector and paid £65.00 delivered. Bargain given it's a £550.00 stealer part!

When my mechanic Matt @ Autohaus Dolby removed the loom he told me it was so brittle it just broke into pieces and a couple of the plugs had snapped. Chances are the injector didn't need replacing but I didn't want to take the risk and have to pay another load of labour charges, All in all it cost me about £240 to have the injectors, loom and seals replaced inc. head gasket.

Best of luck getting it sorted bud.

John

Is there anywhere I can find out the part numbers for the car?

Part numbers for the 2 injectors are noted in my previous post that I inked earlier. They only differ by the last letter.

John

Hi all, have just bought a 2005 Fabia vRS, and i've got a bit of a problem. Just been out in the car, and the engine light has come on as well as the traction control light. The car wouldn't drive properly (it was all juddery) and was acting as if the traction control kept cutting the power.

I've just taken the car to a local garage and they plugged in their diagnostic machine, and it came up with a fault saying Injector Cylinder 1 Open. The guy did say that VWs have a had a similar problem before, so just wondering if Fabias have had this problem too? He deleted the error/fault which meant the engine light went back to normal, and driving home again the light didn't come on and the car drove fine.

Any help/tips or previous problems with Fabia's regarding this issue please?

Off to Ireland Thursday, so could do with it being sorted before then if possible.

Just had exactly the same fault with our Audi A6 1.9TDI PD 130. VAGCOM showed fault with Number 1 injector. Car fine when cold but as soon as up to temp we got a lumpy idle, traction light on, and a misfire so bad I thought the motor was going to shear off its mounts. Changed the injector loom in the head (and that is a barsteward of a job on a longitudinal engine cos there is only about 2 inches of clearance to the firewall) and all is fine again. I too thought if its electrical it'll do it all the time but I guess what happens is basically the wiring is OK when cold but as it gets hot it breaks down and you get the issues. My local ex-VAG tech put it down to the car being run on 'non-PD' oil. Should be a doddle of a job on a transverse engine, took me 40 minutes start to finish and I'm not exactly a first class spanner twirler.

Edited by cooliospoolio

Just had exactly the same fault with our Audi A6 1.9TDI PD 130. VAGCOM showed fault with Number 1 injector. Car fine when cold but as soon as up to temp we got a lumpy idle, traction light on, and a misfire so bad I thought the motor was going to shear off its mounts. Changed the injector loom in the head (and that is a barsteward of a job on a longitudinal engine cos there is only about 2 inches of clearance to the firewall) and all is fine again. I too thought if its electrical it'll do it all the time but I guess what happens is basically the wiring is OK when cold but as it gets hot it breaks down and you get the issues. My local ex-VAG tech put it down to the car being run on 'non-PD' oil. Should be a doddle of a job on a transverse engine, took me 40 minutes start to finish and I'm not exactly a first class spanner twirler.

Thanks for the help mate. I'm not a first class spanner twirler either so i'm probably best off get a mechanic to do it. The symptoms you've described about it being fine when cold and then go funny when hot is exactly the same as mine.