Yeti AC Tripping in 2nd Gear

sameerdass

Hi everyone,

Recently I have noticed some odd behaviour from the AC of my Yeti (140 TDI) 4x4. What happens in 2nd gear is that at low speeds (10-15 Kmph), engine rpm is around 800rpm and the Ac compressor trips and the cooling cuts out for around 30-40 seconds. This causes the cabin to heat up as the outside temperatures here are around 40 Deg Celsius in the day.

Would appreciate feedback from other members who would have faced any similar issues and any solutions which you can recommend!

I think 800 rpm, tickover, is too low to expect the engine to pull the vehicle. I would not expect to use less than 1000 rpm when moving.

Just to give you an idea, the diesel DSG won't let you drive at less than 1000rpm, maybe very slightly higher - 1050rpm maybe. I can trickle around town around the 1050/1000rpm mark if it is safe to do so and the auto lets me do it. But not any lower.

Yeah, okay, I do have more torque than normal, but even before the remap, it would select 5th just above 30mph.

Mike

Thanks Everyone..

My Yeti is a Nov-2010 production and the idling rpm is around 775 when the engine is warm. I heard that post Apr-2011, they have increased the idling rpm a bit.

Any post-Apr 2011 Yeti owners who can confirm the idling rpm..?

Thanks!

Thanks Everyone..

My Yeti is a Nov-2010 production and the idling rpm is around 775 when the engine is warm. I heard that post Apr-2011, they have increased the idling rpm a bit.

Any post-Apr 2011 Yeti owners who can confirm the idling rpm..?

Thanks!

Your Yeti is still under warranty, so ask the dealer to sort it out.

I think 800 rpm, tickover, is too low to expect the engine to pull the vehicle. I would not expect to use less than 1000 rpm when moving.

+1

At these low revs you are putting extra vibration through the dual mass flywheel. This is thought to be a contributing factor to DMF failure. Keep the revs up.

tom