odd behaviour of door windows/wing mirrors

Woke up yesterday morning to find all car door windows slightly open (2-3 ins). Good job no rain over night. So, unlocked driver's door and inserted key and closed all windows. Got out of car and locked door by pressing fob a couple of times (I normally press only once). Both wing mirrors folded inwards! Unlocked car door again and inserted key, wing mirrors open out to normal position. Locked car door again pressing fob a couple of times, but no repeat of wing mirrors folding inwards. Has this happened to anyone else?

I seem to recall salesman telling me that with electric seats I would be able to have wing mirrors fold upon locking driver's door. Anyway, the additional cost for powered seats was too much for my wallet so I declined.

Mystery partially solved. Discovered that wing mirrors can be folded inwards by depressing lock on keyfob twice. The second time needs to be firm and keep pressing for 2/3 seconds. The overnight opening of all windows was coincidental, but still puzzled as to what caused them to open.

No need for two pushes - IIRC, the second push will disable your volumetric alarm (same as pushing the little button on the upright below the driver's seatbelt).

Push and hold is all you need. On mine, it closes all the windows as well if anything's open - similarly, a long press of "unlock" will open the doors and all the windows. I've done this several times by accident if I keep my keys in my pocket... and that's before the 3-year-old gets hold of them - but that may be your mystery opening.

Not sure what it does to the remote battery, though, so I normally fold my mirrors in using the adjuster by the driver's mirror (the left/right, up/down-heater-or-fold button).

But don't crow about it, since there a lot of people who'd love foldy mirrors but can't get 'em. If they weren't standard on yours (they were on my 2009 Elegance) and you didn't spec them then stop wondering and be thankful that they found their way onto your car in spite of that, I suggest!

That´s the great thing of having the rain sensor, if rained at night all the open windows will auto close :thumbup:

I learn a new thing everyday. I'm glad I've got the rain sensor. Why windows opened overnight is still a mystery.

• 3 months later...

Why windows opened overnight is still a mystery.

I had open 3" open windows this morning. Never happened before. I put this down to partial opening by the remote button getting pressed in my pocket, but could it be something else?

I park in the street not always outside my house so this is not a good thing!

I had open 3" open windows this morning. Never happened before. I put this down to partial opening by the remote button getting pressed in my pocket, but could it be something else?

I park in the street not always outside my house so this is not a good thing!

as has been said the main suspect has to be a press on the key for which is opening the windows. Before I had remote locking I had the same thing when my key was in the boot lock of an Octavia I and the lock stuck in the open position - it kept opening my windows and as I was loading up the car I was mystified who had opened my windows. There was snow on the ground so I could see no one had been near the car. The dealer took great delight in explaining the open close via the lock function :giggle:

OK HonestJohn column in Daily Diatribe Sat Oct 22, 2011 reveals probable cause, but no solution.

"I've come across this (problem) frequently - I receive a fresh email about it every couple of days. Most likely to be caused by moisture ingress to the electronic control unit that sits on top of the window motor inside the driver's door. This has been a weakness of door locking systems on VW Group cars for at least 15 years"

The questioner, who has a 6 year old Octavia 1.6 fsi with 50,0000 miles, stated that one morning he went outside to discover all windows had dropped fully open.

It happened to me on an 18 month old car, so I reckon questioner was lucky to get 6 years before said problem. According to Clarkson, electronics on a modern car last about 7 years. After that your car will be forever going into garage for electronic problem of one sort or another.

u can always turn this feature (window up/down with remote fob) off via maxidot.

ur options r:-

- "all" windows

- "driver" window only

- "off"

just tick the "off" option. that way u won't get surprises when u get back to ur car ;)

7d5df021.jpg

JR RS thanks for info ie if you have maxidot you can play around as you describe. If you don't have maxidot its a trip to your dealer and pay up. Or find someone with vcds. I did eventually workout that if I press fob to lock doors with considerable firmness and for some 3 to 4 seconds the mirros close, but windows do not open.

It seems to me that what we need is a manual specifically dealing with all the wonderful things you can do with maxidot, if only to make those of us without maxidot jealous!

• 2 years later...

Hi All

I also have an issue with my door mirrors closing via the alarm fob on my superb 2011. On it's last service I mentioned to garage that the mirrors were not closing anymore via the alarm fob and asked them to check it. Got car back and everything worked again and was told that there was nothing wrong with the mirrors/alarm and they had been working fine. Started to doubt myself and put it down to old age (me not the car) until this week and it's happening again. Anyone else now of an issue with this or a quick fix without me looking like an eejit at the skoda garage again.   

My toddler has no chance of accidentally opening my Windows, you have to get the remote within touching distance of the car for it to work - not very "remote" at all :-(

Doesn't seem to be much info on this problem out on the web either, is it the remote itself (fitted New battery) or the antenna or the control module?