VIM - Video in Motion

Hi lads i just updated this sw/fw on my Superb https://rapidshare.com/files/3252200858/columbus.rar columbus it lets you play dvds while driving for passengers of course. Works great and no need for pressing buttons or tricks etc , just download put on cd disc and install , takes bout 2 min to install

Here is a link for fw 3984 also....... http://www.vwitalia.it/forum/f37/lista-firmware-rns-510-a-6383.html

I think its just a few bugs fixed on this eg POI etc

Hi lads i just updated this sw/fw on my Superb https://rapidshare.com/files/3252200858/columbus.rar columbus it lets you play dvds while driving for passengers of course. Works great and no need for pressing buttons or tricks etc , just download put on cd disc and install , takes bout 2 min to install

Here is a link for fw 3984 also....... http://www.vwitalia.it/forum/f37/lista-firmware-rns-510-a-6383.html

I think its just a few bugs fixed on this eg POI etc

I just got a downgrade error on mine. it said the firmware was same or older than the target. Aug 2010 Superb....

The base firmware used for that fix is quiet an old one, all it does is fiddle a config file on the columbus and does not work with all firmware versions. You'll have to enable the downgrade option in the secret menu to allow it to install.

To access, press and hold setup for around 15 seconds. The screen will change in this order whilst the button is pressed. Setup > Radio Service Mode > Secret Menu. If you get to the radio service menu and no further then you'll need VCDS to turn on the secret menu, or flash the unit with a hacked firmware that has the option enabled by default.

• Like 1

The base firmware used for that fix is quiet an old one, all it does is fiddle a config file on the columbus and does not work with all firmware versions. You'll have to enable the downgrade option in the secret menu to allow it to install.

To access, press and hold setup for around 15 seconds. The screen will change in this order whilst the button is pressed. Setup > Radio Service Mode > Secret Menu. If you get to the radio service menu and no further then you'll need VCDS to turn on the secret menu, or flash the unit with a hacked firmware that has the option enabled by default.

Thanks for that info :thumbup:

You do know that you can be stopped for having a video playing while you are driving?

All this "it's for the passenger" story.

The fact is it's playing in the front and can be seen by the driver - you can be pulled.

The law:

Under Regulation 109 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, it is an offence to drive a motor vehicle on a road if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television screen showing anything other than information:

a - about the state of the vehicle or equipment;

b - about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

c - to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle;

d - to assist the driver to reach his destination

Not only that - it's a bloody stupid idea having a video playing in the drivers view, you will be distracted.

Not sure what the fine is, but I'm guessing it's endorsable.

I did several firmware updates some year ago, and some complications applied.

Anyone knows what the case is with todays images?

Regensburg syndrome

Some images did something with the initial location when starting the navi. I think when parked out of satelites range for some hours. It would hang in Regensburg in Germany (where the unit is produced?) for a couple of minutes before it relocated.

Swap PQTABLE and SQTABLE

SQ/PQtable files had to be swapped when used on Skoda to enable MFSW/Maxidot.

Factory image or update image

If using factory image all settings wiped (not just mp3 etc), need for VCDS to make it ok.

If I remember right this applied to images where version info ended with .901 (e.g. #CD:P004.814.901 need recoding). Update images ended with .903 i think.

Testmode

Had to modify an entry in EURSKHDD.WSH to make testmode active.

And yes - the update was an hour long.

Edited by laaban

Regensburg syndrome

Some images did something with the initial location when starting the navi. I think when parked out of satelites range for some hours. It would hang in Regensburg in Germany (where the unit is produced?) for a couple of minutes before it relocated.

No longer an issue, has not been since the 26xx series firmware.

Swap PQTABLE and SQTABLE

SQ/PQtable files had to be swapped when used on Skoda to enable MFSW/Maxidot.

Not required on the superb, the standard firmware disk works fine first time.

Factory image or update image

If using factory image all settings wiped (not just mp3 etc), need for VCDS to make it ok.

If I remember right this applied to images where version info ended with .901 (e.g. #CD:P004.814.901 need recoding). Update images ended with .903 i think.

This is still the case, a lot of these beta firmwares (and they are beta) wipe the HDD before they update.

Testmode

Had to modify an entry in EURSKHDD.WSH to make testmode active.

Yep, or use VCDS. Saying that some of the beta firmwares already have the changed file.

• 11 months later...

Hi Guys,

Just thought i would let you all know.

I have a 2012 March Superb L&K Saloon/Hatch.

I have just enabled VIM and it works perfectly!

Now the kids are happy.

With regard to another quote about the Law.

I think a case of double standards here.

Why is it ok for you to watch a satnav display (this is video isnt it?) and also why is it ok for these massive LED advertising screens near Solihull on the M5 and on the London innner Doughnut?

Any policeman that pulls you over for such an offence you can quote to him the law of contunity and that you as a driver are not follwing the law of "Stupidity" by watching the TV whilst driving.

If you do.... then your name will soon change from PRATT to RIP.

Guarenteed!

So if you do enable VIM, make sure it is just for your passengers to watch!

Anybody wanting to enable VIM if you PM me i will send you the details of how to do it safely.

PS: You can of course disable it as well as enable it.

Why have passengers looking at the video screen when they can be looking for speed camera, police cars etc. Seriously VIM on the head unit sounds like a bad idea to me, each to their own but no thanks.

Why is it ok for you to watch a satnav display (this is video isnt it?) and also why is it ok for these massive LED advertising screens near Solihull on the M5 and on the London innner Doughnut?

Any policeman that pulls you over for such an offence you can quote to him the law of contunity and that you as a driver are not follwing the law of "Stupidity" by watching the TV whilst driving.

If you do.... then your name will soon change from PRATT to RIP.

Guarenteed!

Point one is although you may not watch and keep focused on the road other's won't, it's bad enough now with chicks doing their hair and makeup while driving,

Point two is ok you kill yourself, but how about the others you took with you who weren't even in the car?

Ever wondered why in the UK undertaking is illegal, why they leave traffic lights on 24/7 when they only really need then at peak times?

Answer is the UK motorist is felt to be a simpleton who couldn't adapt to the changes, this penalises the efficient, but the efficient are a minority on UK roads, hope that gives you some understanding why we need sheep laws.

• 2 weeks later...

Point one is although you may not watch and keep focused on the road other's won't, it's bad enough now with chicks doing their hair and makeup while driving,

Point two is ok you kill yourself, but how about the others you took with you who weren't even in the car?

Ever wondered why in the UK undertaking is illegal, why they leave traffic lights on 24/7 when they only really need then at peak times?

Answer is the UK motorist is felt to be a simpleton who couldn't adapt to the changes, this penalises the efficient, but the efficient are a minority on UK roads, hope that gives you some understanding why we need sheep laws.

Absolutely love the reply and appreciate where you are comming from.

Had VIM enabled for over a two weeks now (and have had the capability on my Desire HD for over a year).

No issues, kids happy.

Really appreciate and respect your views over this which is why i have not publisized the full instructions.

Only available on request by PM.

Other thing to point out is on the secret menu (hold settings button for 15 seconds) you can select audio and turn off loudness.

works better with the digital amp in L&Ks

• Like 1

Guys,

If you do want the VIM enabling i have tried it on my 2012 March L&K and it works perfectly, no bugs or issues and the unit has been back to the dealer to have the digital amp replaced (another seperate issue) and they updated the maps etc.

Nothing is wrong with the car.

Happy to give the file to any Briskoda member but would rather e-mail then stick it on some Chav share site.

PM me and i will send you my e-mail for you to respond.

Had VIM enabled for 3 weeks now with no issues.

• Love it! 1

Guys,

I have just sent instructions to two fellow Briskodians that e-mailed me.

Sorry i did not do it sooner but wanted to take my time documenting the procedure to ensure nobody thinks it isnt working (Apparently it tells you on a few occassions during the process that the CD is wrong or the SW is at the wrong level).

I got my info by trawling the web as i refused to line someones pockets for these stupid adapters at the back of the head unit.

You can use VAGCOM to enable it but that costs over £500 to get the SW and adapter.

AS i am sure most of you are aware, the Columbus head unit is the same as the VW RNS510 head unit.

Following the info in the below link (as well as some of the comments about error messages) got it working for me.

I took a risk with there file that i downloaded but that is not to say that it is still safe.

Mine is safely tucked away on a HDD and is tried and tested (VIM that is, not the Disbale VIM).

So you can either follow the info in the link to get the file or PM me with your e-mail and i will send you the file i used. (PS: I scanned for viruses before opening it).

Hope this helps you guys out as i have been helped out by a lot of stuff on here.

Again please let me re-iterate:

DO NOT WATCH WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING!!!!!!

The last thing i want is for anyone to kill themselves/their family other road users or pedestrians by using the info i have provided.

If you are like me and just want the kids or your passengers to not be bored on long trips then please fill your boots.

I will try and help you out as much as i can but on my first attempt i got it to work straight away by using the info in the below link.

All the best people!!!

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/how-unlock-rns510-vim-tv-free-free-video-motion-play-dvd-while-driving-9150/index3.html

Nick Cz