Vrs sidelights - do you use them?

This might seem an odd question but myself and my wife have been scratching our heads a little about it over our first 2k miles. So the vRS uses the DRL's as it's sidelights, which is ok, but why then does it dim them to half effect just when you are thinking 'I really want other road users to be able to see me in the dim light/murky weather'?

We've found ourselves keeping the DRL's on until we need the illumination on the dash then swapping to headlights. Is this just us or does anyone else find the very dim sidelights a little odd?

Very odd indeed.

DRL's are tbh pretty good even at night without the headlights. In our quiet street they provide enough light with the street light until you get to the main road.

When DRL's are on they are only on at the front (no rear lights) so I always turn sidelights on when necessary, but I don't know the reason for dimming the DRL's.

I also saw an Audi the other day that dimmed one DRL when indicating.

A possible reason could be that at night (when lights are turned on) they are considered too blinding for oncoming drivers - whereas during daylight they are fine to be at full power.

They dim down so they don't daze oncoming traffic. A candle in daylight is barely visable but at night will seem bright. Same principles of contrast. The Audi's dim down to make the indicator more visable.

They dim down so they don't daze oncoming traffic. A candle in daylight is barely visable but at night will seem bright. Same principles of contrast. The Audi's dim down to make the indicator more visable.

I get your point and we did consider that but they really are not a patch on our previous Ford Focus ones. Just slightly dim light conditions really seem to be a toss up between no rear lights but powerful DRL's, overkill headlights or poor frontal visibility. Guess we're just being over sensitive, having a 9 month old in the car has made us a little more nervous drivers. (In my wife case a lot more nervous!! ..she doesn't read these forums ;) )

As others have said the drl's dim when you switch on the sidelights so to not dazzle oncoming traffic. They're still as bright as any other sidelights when dimmed.

Myself I usually just go straight from drl's to headlights. :)

My drl had been switched off at the factory for some reason :wonder: Not that im complaining because ive heard a few stories of people getting pulled by the police because they thought they where fog lights lol. I cant be bothered with having to explain myself to pc plod every two minutes :rofl:

I can see your point. Everyone changes with little ones in the car.

I tend to go straight to headlights. Would be interesting if someone with vcds could programme the drls to stay bright with side and/or headlights. Think the police are wising up. Used to get stopped weekly for the cornering fogs on my Ibiza but hardly ever now.

Love it when the copper realises they made a mistake

I always go straight to dipped beam headlights, never bother with sidelights. IIRC the government tried to get rid of sidelights but some EU regulation prevented the move as they are required as parking lamps.

In the fabia manual it says something similar to "Warning - never drive on sidelights alone. Risk of accident. Dipped headlights should be used with any kind of fading light."

I however switch to sidies when light is a little poor because the DRLs are quite bright and I don't want to upset jo public.