light failure

hi guys got a superb on me dash i keep getting light failure come up ive check all lights indicators hazards but they all ok any ideas why this keeps coming on does this alarm have more than 1 meaning like the flashing glow plug does fanks

If it has Xenons (which being an Elegance it should do) then do they still self level? If not, the load sensors could have died. Mine gave the same warning when mine went.

I also had a faulty tail light bulb which was flashing on and off, but it always seemed to work when checking the bulbs!

I'm not sure if the system monitors the number plate lamps, but the bulb holders tend to rust so it might be worth taking them out and cleaning them up in case the resistance has increased.

Good luck.

Had exactly the same issue with my last MK1 Superb Elegance, Not sure if I had a faulty switch or what, but if I ever turned the lights on whilst in motion, the light warning would come on. If I turned them on just after starting the car and before moving off, it wouldn't appear!

Took it for check at garage, the conclusion was the ballast element of the light was faulty. Did they replace it? Did they F, they said they couldn't actually find anything wrong with it.

Got shot of that car pretty soon after 30k miles, due to all the oil pump failure issues I was reading about.

Superb I doesn't have warning for parking lights and number plate lights ( parking lights I am sure, because they blew off last year and no message ). Also Led lights don't affect the system to put on the warning light. It comes with newer cars. But maybe I have too good LED's in my car :).

hi guys got a superb on me dash i keep getting light failure come up ive check all lights indicators hazards but they all ok any ideas why this keeps coming on does this alarm have more than 1 meaning like the flashing glow plug does fanks

Has one of your Head Lamp side light bulbs failed........ :|

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone

Ive had this fault ever since i bought the car, Warning usually comes on at start up for a few seconds then randomly comes up whenever it feels like it? Its driving me crazy, Have changed most of the rear bulbs to no effect,

Can you tell me how to check the self levelling headlight sensor are working some people have mentioned that they can cause the fault

Thanks

Drive somewhere, where you can point your lights on wall. Turn off car and then turn on again with lights on. You should see, that lights will go down and then up again. This is system self control that self leveling is working.

Also you can take off left front wheel and see a switch with rod sticking to one of control arms. Take the rod off the control arm and put your lights on with ignition on or car working. Then let someone move the switch (imitating the movement of front end) and check if the lights will change their height (position).

Also have any of you guys checked with VAG-COM for trouble codes from ECM? If not, then that is the simplest thing to do and you can probably see the problem. That's if the onboard diagnostic defects a problem with lights.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this problem for 12 months and it is happening more frequently. Dealer has checked and can find nothing amiss. All bulbs work fine and the self levelling works ok too.

I have now asked them to de activate this with their computer and I will manually check bulbs from time to time?

Mine comes up with a light failure warning intermittently with everything working as it should. Blew a brake bulb a couple of days ago and I've had it before, like Phil, when an element moved apart with heat, but reconnected as it cooled.

Erroneous bulb failure warnings seem to follow me from car to car. I thought it was just me!

Gaz

I have had this problem for 12 months and it is happening more frequently. Dealer has checked and can find nothing amiss. All bulbs work fine and the self levelling works ok too.

I have now asked them to de activate this with their computer and I will manually check bulbs from time to time?

Well - Dealer attempted to code this out but when they did the "lights failure" remains on permanently so this is not the answer?

Back to the drawing board.

Used to get this a lot on an old Jag that I owned even though all the bulbs were working fine. The solution was to replace ALL the bulbs with new ones, as soon as they were changed the fault went away never to return. I guess the bulbs had aged and their resistance increased and as a result the car thought one or more bulbs had failed.

I had the "light failure" dashboard warning come up every trip, the dealer fixed it temporarily - I understand that whatever fixture senses the difference in ride height between the front and rear suspensions is prone to crack. When it recurred I looked at the fuse diagram and found out it is on its own fuse, so I took the fuse out. Lights are now in a fixed position, which conforms to the MOT requirement, and the proposed EU legislation to require the sensor to be working to pass the MOT has yet to be agreed so I don't intend to do anything else. Problem solved, cost zero.

If your lights are frozen in the wrong position, i.e. too high or too low, you do need to do something - also if you carry heavy loads in the boot. The workshop supervisor at the garage tells me that if that would cause an MOT failure it can be overcome by disconnecting the sensor and manually setting the lights permanently at a position that would put them within the tolerances required. Best to have them set at the low end of the range if you do carry heavy loads, to avoid dazzle.