Problem with POI on Columbus

Hi All

I took delivery of my new Skoda Suberb 170ps elegance estate on Friday of last week but am having some issues with the Sat Nav!

When I pressed the POI button the screen frooze with the screen saying 'please wait.....' but it stayed like this for ages even restarting the engine had no effect. I then went to maps and tried to enter poi on the set up but the same thing happened! now the poi message on both of them is no longer highlighted. I have emailed and phoned the garage but they are not keen to help stating the obvious like 'have you pressed the poi button'!!!

Any help on this would be good

By the way - the car itself is great!

Hand over from the garage was shocking - the delivery guy did not have a clue - all he showed me was that there was an unbrella in the door!!!!

thanks in advance

marcus

This is a common problem, with having the latest version of the firmware but an old map disk. Sounds like to dealer has installed the wrong version of the maps onto the headunit, The new maps use a different POI format to the old ones, result is the unit hangs when you try to access them as they are not where the software wants them. Solution is to get the dealer to install at least the V7.1 map disk. You should have been supplied a map disk with the car, if not the dealer is doing a sneaky thing to make a few more quid out of you.

How do you do a factory reset?

The dealer said since 2011 the sat nav data is installed at factory so no cd?

Is this right?

Cheers

Skoda do say that the Sat Nav is preloaded at the factory now. A disc has never been supplied with the vehicles unless it was ordered by the dealer when you ordered the vehicle. This can be checked by undertaking a VIN check, which will clearly state if the disc was supplied with the vehicle.

If you want the latest maps do a VIN check or get a VCDS check for the map version installed before complaining or demanding a disc from a dealer.

Skoda do say that the Sat Nav is preloaded at the factory now. A disc has never been supplied with the vehicles unless it was ordered by the dealer when you ordered the vehicle. This can be checked by undertaking a VIN check, which will clearly state if the disc was supplied with the vehicle.

If you want the latest maps do a VIN check or get a VCDS check for the map version installed before complaining or demanding a disc from a dealer.

I might be a bit dumb, but how do I do a VIN check?

Hi again

Is it easy to load the maps and poi yourself as my local dealer has no space for 2 and half weeks which is shocking!!

Please can you assist with links or information on where i can download the data

many thanks

Marcus

I have the same issue I have raised this with dealer and SUK. SUK say that this issue has been raised with Skoda and are awaiting an update from technical re new Skoda Disk (I do have a copy of maps version 7.2 and points of interest works fine.

I stated in e-mail to SUK that the unit as supplied by the factory is borderline not fit for purpose with the software and version of maps supplied. Originally I only had 4 digit postcode search. The conflict between software and maps is well known.

Lets see how long it takes Skoda to resolve the issue and send out the correct disk.

It is easy to load the new maps but as to posting a link here the Forum rules do not allow links to non genuine software. PM me I may be able to help

Edited by Traff2003

It would be good if SUK could bring out a disc with a post code input similar to the tom tom, with all the letter and numbers visible in the same screen, and with the same input as the tom tom, or other well known makes, sometimes when inputting a post code some of the next sequence of letters after the numbers are missing??

Or has this now been rectified

Edited by skippy41

It would be good if SUK could bring out a disc with a post code input similar to the tom tom, with all the letter and numbers visible in the same screen, and with the same input as the tom tom, or other well known makes, sometimes when inputting a post code some of the next sequence of letters after the numbers are missing??

Or has this now been rectified

On current Columbus firmware, as you type in a postcode, it greys out the letters and numbers that cannot possibly come next. E.g. if you enter RG9 1H, the letter I will grey out, as it does not know of a postcode RG9 1HI. If you enter "G", only space, L and U will be options, as there are no other postcodes beginning G.

On current Columbus firmware, as you type in a postcode, it greys out the letters and numbers that cannot possibly come next. E.g. if you enter RG9 1H, the letter I will grey out, as it does not know of a postcode RG9 1HI. If you enter "G", only space, L and U will be options, as there are no other postcodes beginning G.

I think you will find that the postcode is not available yet. the P.O. issue a postcode when new roads etc. are added to their database but in the past have been extremely slow in passing on to third parties any updates.

As Skoda do not update very quickly anyway it could be a very long time before updates for Columbus are available.

I prefer to enter destinations via GPS entry, from Google Earth. If I enter my address using Postcode and house number it only takes me to the centre of the postcode area, GPS input takes me off the road up my drive and right up to my garage door, which is good enough for me.

I had a customers car do this, has the latest maps and I assume latest firmware as it is a MY12 car. Perhaps it is a corrupt file on the hard drive or something, I shall reinstall the maps and then try it and see what happens.

Hi James

Be good if you can have a look - local garage has not a clue - and only a small issue not having the POI but you expect to have all functions working on a new car.

For some reason the Columbus did not turn of when I turned the engine of and took the key out? pressing the power button did nothing? went back to check 20 mins later and its still on!!

Not having a good time with this system! first time I have had a problem with a car since using lease schemes for 10 yrs now!

thanks

marcus