SDi Temperature gauge

The temperature gauge on my dash is either wrong or throwing a wobbler.

The gauge seems to sit at 1/4 most of the time but some times goes between 1/2 or 1/4 and sometimes goes slightly over 1/4 This occurs while driving along and not stuck in traffic etc.

I have scanned the car with VCDS and nothing is showing up on that and the needle on the dial seems to be ok as it will sweep when i do the test.

Any one got any advice on what i can check etc?

Any help appreciated!

The temperature gauge on my dash is either wrong or throwing a wobbler.

The gauge seems to sit at 1/4 most of the time but some times goes between 1/2 or 1/4 and sometimes goes slightly over 1/4 This occurs while driving along and not stuck in traffic etc.

I have scanned the car with VCDS and nothing is showing up on that and the needle on the dial seems to be ok as it will sweep when i do the test.

Any one got any advice on what i can check etc?

Any help appreciated!

Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open, with the stat open the radiator is too efficent and the engine don't generate much heat, so its running too cold. Had exactly the same problem with my sisters Polo SDI. was fine sat at right temp when stopped though.

Change the thermostat and sender at the same time. my garage said "oh it'll be the sender, we'll do that". Needless to say the thermostat had gone as well. Neither are expensive but either will ruin your fuel consumption as the sender feeds signals to the ecu and affects the fuelling telling it the engine isn't hot even if it is.

Change the thermostat and sender at the same time. my garage said "oh it'll be the sender, we'll do that". Needless to say the thermostat had gone as well. Neither are expensive but either will ruin your fuel consumption as the sender feeds signals to the ecu and affects the fuelling telling it the engine isn't hot even if it is.

Thats great thanks!

Were are the Thermostat and sender located? and are they easy to change?

Ok, I managed to locate and remove the temp sensor and the Thermostat.

The thermostat took some getting out but i got there. I just wanted to confirm that when i refit the thermostat i first put the new O ring in first the just shove the thermostat in and its all held in place by the housing?

Ok, I managed to locate and remove the temp sensor and the Thermostat.

The thermostat took some getting out but i got there. I just wanted to confirm that when i refit the thermostat i first put the new O ring in first the just shove the thermostat in and its all held in place by the housing?

Haynes says:-

Refitting is the reversal of removing, bearing in mind the following points.

1) Refit the stat with a new O ring

2) Insert the stat into the cover and twist 90 degrees clockwise

3) The stat should be fitted with the brace almost vertical.

4) Ensure that any brackets are in place on the stat cover bolts as noted prior to removal.

I hope this helps, I haven't done the job myself.