Piper Exhaust

Getting it fitted as soon as I can :) Now the holdup is tyres as I need those as well to pass the WOF (MOT) and they don't have them in stock locally.

It was very quick delivery - I used DHL and it took less than 5 days. It even had a day sightseeing in Seoul on the way :)

will be T304 I would say.

Garry is a top bloke, used to work for Piper now has a job at MSW, I had a chat with him a bit back on their site, he was on the ask a question chat box.

He can get some damn good deals.

Rob, nice stuff but personally not my thing the double pipes, cant wait to see it on tho mate.

:thumbup:

Needs some adjustment. But it sounds nice :) More detail and better pics when it's in the right place!

6056774193_f5044893b4_z.jpg

looks good so far how easy to fit btw and is it all clamped together or is it just putting one on top of the other and just tightening the bolts up?? and i have also seen on youtube a piper exhaust that sits just like that is it due to the exhaust rubber mounts ??

I took it to my favourite mechanic for fitting - who is no longer my favourite mechanic after yesterday. Exhaust not hanging right, incorrect date on the WOF (MOT) sticker and he dented, scraped and scratched an as-new wheel.

I have some new rear hangers on order from the dealer - they're winging their way from Singapore.

You must be getting old Rob, thought you would of fitted it your self :giggle:

I have a Piper , fitted it myself as wanted it to fit properly. Don't trust and common garage these days.

The quality is excellent and sound is very nice certainly with a decat. Only issue I have with my piper is that the exhaust hangers welded on exhaust are not quite in correct place which made alinging interesting as mine was sitting like yours. I ended up leaving all connections loose and getting it to where it fits best and tighten up. You need the clamps tight as they will shift if not. A new rear rubber hanger makes it sit better also. And lastly the hangers welded to the exhaust on mine did not have a lip on which can made the exhaust pull through the rubber hanger and start knocking. silly little things but annoying. When i get time i am going to weld a flat washer to the hanger end to stop it moving.

VRSPiperExhaustFitting005.jpg

VRSPiperExhaustFitting009.jpg

VRSVRSPiperExhaust1.jpg

sound clip before decat:

Sorry for the bump (haven't been on in a while) but just wanted to say "SNAP!"

With new rubber hangers fitted it should sit up in the bumper a treat.

Ignore the axle stand, I was just using that to support the exhaust while I swapped the hangers over.

Photo0044.jpg

Oh, and you think it sounds good now, give it a couple of months ;)

I would say to clean it regularly though, everytime you wash the car give it a blast with wheel cleaner. I never follow my own advice and have to go at it with fine grade wire wool every now and then.

You will also be amazed just how tight you can wedge stones between the two pipes :D

Edited by lordrobs

Sorry for the bump (haven't been on in a while) but just wanted to say "SNAP!"

With new rubber hangers fitted it should sit up in the bumper a treat.

Ignore the axle stand, I was just using that to support the exhaust while I swapped the hangers over.

Photo0044.jpg

Oh, and you think it sounds good now, give it a couple of months ;)

I would say to clean it regularly though, everytime you wash the car give it a blast with wheel cleaner. I never follow my own advice and have to go at it with fine grade wire wool every now and then.

You will also be amazed just how tight you can wedge stones between the two pipes :D

what rubber hangers u use just out of chance ?? and also when the exhaust is all clicked in together r they held by clamps or does it just click and bolt on job ??

Edited by vrs 180t

Just the stock OEM item from Skoda. They stretch over time and the Piper exhaust tends to hang quite heavily on the rear one. I should really do my one again as it has dropped quarter of an inch or so over the last couple of years.

Oh and I believe it is clamped in place, I didn't fit it though, only swapped the rear hanger as I wasn't happy with it drooping down like an OAP's unmentionables :giggle:

Edited by lordrobs

IIRC, the Mk1 exhaust hangers were a bit of a weak point anyway. So understandable with the Piper. I remember quite a few of the guys with standard systems having to change them after a few years as well.

IIRC, the Mk1 exhaust hangers were a bit of a weak point anyway. So understandable with the Piper. I remember quite a few of the guys with standard systems having to change them after a few years as well.

Yeah my stock exhaust was very droopy. The previous owner looked like he had done a temporary fix with some kind of strap on the back one!

For a few quid it isn't a big deal and a piece of cake to sort for even a numpty like me!

Think it's also the design of the Mk1 system, and the distance it travels effectively unsupported. Not surprising that eventually they start to give up the fight against gravity!

But yes, considering the price and ease, it would have been easier for the last owner to replace, rather than to fashion some kind of strap for it :)

could it also be how they are driven?

I still have my original hangers on and it still sits spot on? car is 6 year old too.

is that piper quite heavy then?

Love the look of yours Mark, sounds sweet too. I like the exit, not a fan of OO one.

awesome so would it be worth changing the rubber hangers for stiffer ones for the simple case of just not having to worry about it full stop ??

thanks all

The only alternative would be a polyurethane (or however it is spelt :p ) one, if such a thing exists. Problem is that they tend to transfer a lot of vibration. As I mentioned it is a simple 5 minute job, no need to jack the car up and only costs a few quid.

could it also be how they are driven?

I still have my original hangers on and it still sits spot on? car is 6 year old too.

is that piper quite heavy then?

Love the look of yours Mark, sounds sweet too.

Being rubber I guess it is generally just the conditions that the car is subjected to rather than any particular driving style as to how long they last.

I don't think the exhaust is particularly heavy, my OEM one was more out of place, I just wanted it to look right. Plus the OO design fills the bumper cut out nicely bit only if positioned correctly. Also you can see the Y section where the pipe splits into the two outlets if it hangs too low which looks rubbish.

I like Bowders single exit too, I just wasn't sure how it would fill the cut out so went for the twin as I had seen that on an Octy and knew it looked good.

Quite funny that the original is a twin pipe that goes to a single exit, now I have a single pipe that goes to a twin exit :p

Edited by lordrobs