Steering Rack Problems

Hiya,

As a progression from my previous knocking thread, I have traced the knocking and movement in the steering, to the steering rack.

I noticed by tapping the nearside track rod, that there was a metallic knock, which was not evident on any other components, and didn't match on the other side of the car.

I removed the steering rack gaiter and removed the inner track rod from the steering rack, and while the track rod is fine, the steering rack appears to be making the noise emoticon-0120-doh.gif.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is it something that might go with bleeding the system, or am I looking at replacing the rack?

I'm the only person to drive the car, and I haven't bumped it or anything - they only think I can think that I have done is to turn the steering from lock to lock, while under the car with the wheels in the air, without the engine running. Would this have damaged it?

If it's likely that I need a replacement rack, does anyone have a part number handy?

Cheers, Andrew.

...they only think I can think that I have done is to turn the steering from lock to lock, while under the car with the wheels in the air, without the engine running. Would this have damaged it?

sound unlikely tbh

If it where the case, my steering rack would have packed up a long time ago.

When pulling or pushing the track rod in or out does it knock or move excessively?

Not particularly, movement is only really evident when accelerating/braking hard, and when going through potholes etc.

The knocking noise (which I can also feel through the steering wheel) is evident with every little bump in the road.

Welcome to my world ..........................

I have had this issue for about four years and am still none the wiser, I've changed two racks and numerous bushes arms etc etc.

I only get a knock on the nearside, I think it's the steering colum as every so often I can play around with the adjuster and all the knocks and rattles go away for a few hours. Never tried changing the colum though as I can't 100 % it's that, and it's a big job to change if it ain't gonna cure the problem, mind it's about the only thing I havn't changed.

It's an absolute pig to diagnose correctly as once you jack the car it's gone, I also get a knock if I rock the wheel back and forth but it sounds like it's from the rack !!!

Best of luck, quite frankly you'll need it

Edit...... The other thing that puzzles me is if it was the coloum why does it only knock nearside, I would have thought it knock both sides ???

Welcome to my world ..........................

I have had this issue for about four years and am still none the wiser, I've changed two racks and numerous bushes arms etc etc.

I only get a knock on the nearside, I think it's the steering colum as every so often I can play around with the adjuster and all the knocks and rattles go away for a few hours. Never tried changing the colum though as I can't 100 % it's that, and it's a big job to change if it ain't gonna cure the problem, mind it's about the only thing I havn't changed.

It's an absolute pig to diagnose correctly as once you jack the car it's gone, I also get a knock if I rock the wheel back and forth but it sounds like it's from the rack !!!

Best of luck, quite frankly you'll need it

Edit...... The other thing that puzzles me is if it was the coloum why does it only knock nearside, I would have thought it knock both sides ???

Thats interesting - i've not had the rack out or anything yet, but I am tempted to drop the subframe to examine the mounts, and get a pry bar in there.

I will check the universal joint, associated bolts and the column mounts while i'm down there too.

Like you say there isn't that much fundamentally contained within the system that can cause problems.

My only other thought is that the standard shocks at 60k miles are buggered, so I will try putting the coilovers back on to see what effect that has.

• 5 years later...

I'm facing a similar noise and the service centre has almost confirmed its a rack issue.

The saddest part is mine is a brand new car.

I'd like to know if the steering rack and steering column mean the the same?

Also any help on what all needs to be checked post the replacement would be really helpful.

Thanks