Towing, interesting read....

looby

Not sure I quite agree with the above link, although I have the 170 which obvioulsy makes a difference. I have just returned from a caravan holiday where we kept to the 85% weight limit but solid as a rock and easily overtakes lorries at 70mph up relatively steep hills.

My apologies :S Just that working on a holiday site in cornwall we get to see some seriously overloaded vans and hear owners boasting how fast they went on way down it makes you cringe! There should be a weighbridge on the M5 to catch them. I have a van myself so not biased against them.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps he was in France ,on autoroutes , speed limit for caravans 130kph , 80 mph

Not any more, they are not!!

If the total possible mass of the car and trailer is more than 3.5 tonnes then they are much less!

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/5582430/french%20speed%20limits.pdf

So for the Yeti where the max towing weight is 2000kg, if the trailer has a max over 1500kg then the lower limits apply.

Not any more, they are not!!

If the total possible mass of the car and trailer is more than 3.5 tonnes then they are much less!

http://www.caravancl...ed%20limits.pdf

So for the Yeti where the max towing weight is 2000kg, if the trailer has a max over 1500kg then the lower limits apply.

As I understand that document, ANY 2WD Yeti with an engine output of 110 or less can tow at the upper limits, but because the more powerful Yeti can tow 1800-2000kg, and the gross vehicle weight is is over 1900kg, the Gross train weight exceeds the 3500kg, therefore the lower limits apply, because it doesn't matter what the weight of the trailer is, just what the car can tow. so even a 750kg unbaked trailer can only be towed at the lower limits.....

Moral of the story: if you want to drive at the limits in France you can only do so using a low powered Yeti, (which may struggle to do so anyway), whereas the Yeti that can easily cope, are restricted to the lower limits.....which makes perfect sense....not.

The example:

Honda CR-V 2.2 i-CTDI SE

Grossvehicleweight: 2160kg

Towing limit : 2000kg

Gross train mass: 4160kg

If you tow any trailer/caravan behind this car you will need to tow at the lower speed limits regardless ofhow much your trailer weighs. If the Honda is towing a caravan weighing 1000kg (total weight of3160kg) the lower speed limits will still apply, because the gross train mass is over 3500kg.