What fuel should I be using?

Vrs2

3500rpm is too high, change up before 3k. You have a load of torque down there, make use of it ;) Do that, cruise at 60mph, take the hill in as high a gear as it will hold. Make use of engine braking and avoid using the brakes as much as possible.

I never said economy driving is exciting, but it still requires plenty of concentration. I don't do it all the time though, it's too boring :D

If you want to drive the car the same as you did the Octy and get the same or better economy, then you bought the wrong engine. You'll need the 1.6 TDI for that. The TSI is at least as quick, and great for fast driving, but it does need more care to get it's best economy.

Hi Mike, I do change up well before 3500 rpm I was only saying I did hit 3500 once during the trip, but what my issue is really is that if a manufacturer says a car will do 53.8 mpg on the combined cycle I would normally expect to get perhaps 5 to 6 mpg below that figure driving it in what I would consider to be normal driving ie: not thrashing it or driving like a snail. For example my octavia vrs ftsi petrol had a combined cycle of 36.8 mpg and I averaged 31/32 mpg and my octavia vrs cr 170 had a C/C of 48.6 but I averaged 42/44 mpg, but the fabia 1.2 tsi has a C/C of 53.6 and I have averaged 36.6 mpg over the last 285 miles and thats driving it like I have a surgeon performing Brain surgery on the back seat. I want to enjoy driving this car and not have to drive it like a member of green peace on the way to a meeting on world c02 emission. I think the figures are very deceitful and even my mate at

my local Skoda dealer told me the 1.2 tsi is not good on fuel saying his wife can get her car down in the high twenties.

Edited by Vrs2

Manufacturer tests are done to a prescribed set of parameters. They will make every effort to hit those parameters and do as well as possible. That means the cars will be driven on the test using the absolute minimum throttle necessary. It's not a promise that you'll get that MPG no matter how you drive, it's so you can compare cars of different brands and see which should be more economical.

What MPG the car actually gets depends on your local roads and YOU.

The TSI's extra-urban figure is in the 60's. Nobody will ever achieve that in the real world, the best you can expect is the combined figure, all you need to do to get it is drive economically. It is the same for the two vRS's, you could have hit the combined figures.... if you drove economically (you may even beat them!)

You don't have to drive at 40mph. On any decent trip, my car will quite happily achieve 45mpg+. I cruise at speed limits, and I do not sit behind dawdlers unless I have to. The TSI is good on fuel... but not if you drive it hard.

If I always used full throttle and did 85mph on the motorway, I would have mine down in the twenties too. His wife must be scary to be a passenger with :o

A mag did a great comparison of petrol vs diesel Monties. They took them up a mountain pass in Italy as fast as they could. The TSI stayed in 2nd gear all the way, (full throttle used in both cars) and it did about 17mpg. The diesel was better, but it went between 2nd and 3rd, it was down at about 23mpg. The TSI got to the top first.

Edited by Mike Wrightson

Mike and Paully make some very good points Vrs. If you drive a petrol car you have to try much harder to achieve good economy than if you were driving a diesel engined car. Your previous diesel car experience may be colouring your view somewhat of just how much economy you ought to get from your petrol car. And this is especially so with your car as it is still very low miles and is still improving. You may also want to try a modified driving technique too, experiment as much as possible with the revs and gears to find what works best for you in your area, in your traffic conditions and terrain. You will probably need to drive it a bit differently to your previous diesels, because although the TSI is a brilliant petrol engine, and is DIESEL LIKE to drive, it's still a petrol car and you may need to look at the way you are driving it. It can take a while to learn and experiment, and I'm not hitting at you or your driving experience or ability. No one here is doing that as I'm sure you realise.

A true story, just a few short years ago four of us had brand new Toyotas as company cars. These were 1300cc petrol engines. We all lived in different parts of Essex (fairly flat terrain) and three of us obtained pretty much the same mpg's from our cars. One employee constantly complained of poor mpg's and the car went back to the dealers several times for checks to make sure everything was ok. He was achieving a consistent 7-9 mpg's less than the rest of us. So I swapped cars with him at the suggestion of our garage, who were baffled at this point. At the end of a week after we had done the sums, I was getting exactly the same mpg's as I normally get, in his supposedly faulty car. He was getting exactly the same poor mpg's from my (good) car that he normally got from his own car that he reckoned was faulty. A quick drive out with him soon revealed why this was. He was just a bad driver, using brakes and gears inappropriately, and constantly altering his cruising speed, pumping the throttle whilst cruising instead of keeping it still and backing off a bit etc etc etc, the list went on. I'm not suggesting for one minute you are driving like that Vrs, but there may be something in your driving technique at the moment that is contributing to the less than expected fuel economy you are getting, although it does sound about right to me for a low miles TSI at the moment. As an ex-tech I saw this many many times with customers complaining about poor fuel consumption and it was usually never ever a fault, but down to the customer learning to drive that particular car, and letting the car bed in for several thousands of miles. Every thing always panned out ok too, with mostly every customer I can remember being ok with their new car. Stick with it and keep posting to let us know how you are getting on. emoticon-0144-nod.gif

A mag did a great comparison of petrol vs diesel Monties. They took them up a mountain pass in Italy as fast as they could. The TSI stayed in 2nd gear all the way, (full throttle used in both cars) and it did about 17mpg. The diesel was better, but it went between 2nd and 3rd, it was down at about 23mpg. The TSI got to the top first.

Which magazine was that? Missed that one.

Autoexpress did a test of the 1.2 TSI (Ibiza) vs. Fabia Greenline2, Vs Honda Jazz hyrid. The Fabia achieved the best economy, the Honda the worst but they rated the TSI the best overall compromise.

Which magazine was that? Missed that one.

Autoexpress did a test of the 1.2 TSI (Ibiza) vs. Fabia Greenline2, Vs Honda Jazz hyrid. The Fabia achieved the best economy, the Honda the worst but they rated the TSI the best overall compromise.

Someone posted it on here, I'll see if I can find it.

Interesting read that Telegraph article. One thing they didn't mention in terms of driver enjoyment is that the petrol engine is probably a fair bit lighter too and should make the car a bit better in the twisty bits.

There is also a test in today's new Auto Express of the Fabia TSI vs the new supercharged Micra 1.2 (3 cylinder). Whilst the Micra delivers a better claimed MPG than the Fabia, AE's test economy was actually better in the Fabia (42.1mpg vs. 38.5)

Thanks for all your replies, I guess I am expecting to much from my Monte. I just thought it would be more economical than it's been, I have just driven to Exeter and back a 38 mile round trip of duel carriageway and some A roads with no traffic and only 3 sets of traffic light and i achieved 38.4 mpg using Vpower. I've just put in some normal Shell 95 so will see if it seems to make much difference to both the performance or the mpg, I seriously hope not or I just might go out and buy another Octavia vrs petrol as this car was supposed to be cheaper alternative to my Octavia vrs diesel plus cash back in my pocket from the deal.

Interesting read that Telegraph article. One thing they didn't mention in terms of driver enjoyment is that the petrol engine is probably a fair bit lighter too and should make the car a bit better in the twisty bits.

True, I did notice when I tested the diesel Montie that the front was heavier and it was less quick to turn in than my own car. Nowhere near as bad as the Mk1 vRS though, that was even heavier.

Guest Tsi Fly

Yesterday on a mixed trip 87 miles, Aircon on 19deg. Motorway 65 mph, dual carriageway and some a and b roads I managed 56.3 mpg on my TSi 105 hatch using V Power.

There is a vast difference in mpg between 65 and 75 mph. I know a lot of you will have a fit at doing 65 on the motorway but in the right traffic and anticipating well in advance the Truck overtakes it is much less stressful than going faster and being on and off the throttle.

That being said mostly I drive motorways at 75 where the MPG is approx 49-51mpg.

The R1200 GS is about the same on V Power 35mpg hard and 55mpg laid back mode.

Yesterday on a mixed trip 87 miles, Aircon on 19deg. Motorway 65 mph, dual carriageway and some a and b roads I managed 56.3 mpg on my TSi 105 hatch using V Power.

There is a vast difference in mpg between 65 and 75 mph. I know a lot of you will have a fit at doing 65 on the motorway but in the right traffic and anticipating well in advance the Truck overtakes it is much less stressful than going faster and being on and off the throttle.

That being said mostly I drive motorways at 75 where the MPG is approx 49-51mpg.

The R1200 GS is about the same on V Power 35mpg hard and 55mpg laid back mode.

I have just about given up trying to get a good mpg now and have decided to just give the car a good thrashing and have some fun at least. My dealer is going to have a look at it but what they can do I don't know, i think it's just

been badly run-in by the dealer I brought it from or it's just one of those engines that wasn't right from the factory ie: not the same tolerances as others. It's a shame as it's somewhat tarnished my liking for the car and I wouldn't even mind if it had lots of power to take my mind of the poor fuel consumption. Yesterday I did 27 miles of non stop driving alone a more less total flat and empty A road never driving above 50 mph in 5th gear with a maximum rpm of 2800 before gear changes and it returned 44.8 mpg which then fell to 43.1 by just parking it on my drive. I am going to do some fuel brimming to check if the computer is working ok so we can at least rule that out, my long term computer 2 is now showing 37.2 mpg over 364 miles of driving it with all the care and attention I can, and short of picking it up and carrying it i can't do anymore.

I know how to drive a car to return the maximum fuel economy and have got an advanced drivers certificate that I did 4 years ago as a personal challenge to learn high speed car control, fuel economy driving and

safety and awareness so I do know a bit more than many about car control and often do practice my teaching on fuel economy with my cars. The most recent example being the Octavia Vrs 170 diesel which I could often achieve 57/58 mpg over 35 mile run. I think this car is on a par with my Petrol Vrs which was a lot heavier and had 200 bhp not a mere 105 so something must be wrong somewhere. Oh well off to give it another good thrashing I suppose.

Edited by Vrs2

I think now you have a small car with a small engine it needs a bit more revss to get it going - you've dropped 100bhp so i'd expect you to be thrashing it to attain similar speeds!

I don't think anything is wrong with it, you seem to be expecting miracale mpg, which tbh you aren't going to get unless you granny it, and there's no fun in that :thumbup:

How many miles are you getting from a full tank before the fuel light comes on? It is possible that the fuel computer is not correct and needs recalibrated.

@ Ad Lav - the thing is that the 1.2 doesn't need lots of revs to get it going, that's what I love about it, it cruises around effortlessly at low rpm. :)

I think now you have a small car with a small engine it needs a bit more revss to get it going - you've dropped 100bhp so i'd expect you to be thrashing it to attain similar speeds!

I don't think anything is wrong with it, you seem to be expecting miracale mpg, which tbh you aren't going to get unless you granny it, and there's no fun in that :thumbup:

No I don't think you understand, I am grannying it to the extent my own granny would be turning in her grave with embarassment, believe me if you had to drive like I have been you wouldn't bother and would get out and walk it's a lot quicker. What I am expecting is a car that can return around 42/44 mpg with normal driving (not fast or aggressive) just normal.

Now I am not saying the normal 1.2 tsi is the same as my monte there is something not right with it, I have ask my local dealership to check if the rear brakes are binding as I have been getting some rear brake squeal so could be a binding rear brake shoe.

Edited by Vrs2

How many miles are you getting from a full tank before the fuel light comes on? It is possible that the fuel computer is not correct and needs recalibrated.

@ Ad Lav - the thing is that the 1.2 doesn't need lots of revs to get it going, that's what I love about it, it cruises around effortlessly at low rpm. :)

I haven't check that yet but I know over the last 4 weeks I have spent about £30 more than I did in the octavia vrs doing around the 1300 mile I do a month, and thats with cheaper fuel 95 octane for the first 700 miles and driving it at about half the pace. So all in all bloody poor.

Edited by Vrs2

Just out of interest which dealer was it

The dealer was Wimborne in Dorset but I am not blaming them for the car as they were great, my local dealer is SMC in Exeter who are just the best dealer I have ever encountered and I can whole heartedly recommend them to anyone.

Edited by Vrs2

SMC was who we brought from. Have to agree nothing but praise for them.Great communication car arrived on the day they estimated even allowed us to pick it up on A Saturday.[they apparently don't like doing handovers on saturdays because it's so busy].The salesman was so confident we'd like it he said I'll see you in 3 years when you'll want a new one :rofl:

SMC was who we brought from. Have to agree nothing but praise for them.Great communication car arrived on the day they estimated even allowed us to pick it up on A Saturday.[they apparently don't like doing handovers on saturdays because it's so busy].The salesman was so confident we'd like it he said I'll see you in 3 years when you'll want a new one :rofl:

Yes by far the best dealer in Exeter in my mind and that's bearing in mind Exeter has the largest group of car dealers in Europe and 2nd or 3rd in the world apparently :o

Edited by Vrs2