• Sainsburys Standard
    • Tesco Standard
    • Asda Standard
    • Morrisons Standard
    • Other
    • Doesn't Matter
    • Esso Standard - added 23/08/2011
    • BP Ultimate - added 24/08/2011 @ 10:40

I've found a few topics on this for petrol engines, but not seen one for diesel. We're picking up the GL2 on the 1st of September, and I wanted to get this straight.

So, I've been doing some digging about to try and work out the options.

Shell - have both Diesel FuelSave and V-Power, V-Power seems well regarded by the petrol VRS drivers, as does FuelSave

BP - don't want to tell me about their fuels online, anyone know anything?

Texaco - I don't like our local Texaco garage, I've heard of people having problems with their fuel on more than one occasion, and they don't want to tell me about their fuels, but if anyone knows anything different, always willing to learn.

Esso - don't want to tell me about their fuels online, anyone know anything?

Total - Offer both Standard Diesel and Total Excellium, not seen anyone saying anything about the Total Excellium though.

Sainsburys - Don't say anything about their fuel online, but other sites seem to suggest that they are provided by BP.

Tesco - Have their new 99 Octane Petrol, but don't seem to do anything special in the way of diesel. Tesco service stations seem to be Esso linked, so could well use Esso for all of their fuels.

Asda - don't want to tell me about their fuels online, anyone know anything?

Morrisons - don't want to tell me about their fuels online, anyone know anything?

TL:DR? Shell have Diesel FuelSave and V-Power, Total have Total Excellium, everyone else just seems to have standard diesel, and don't want to tell me anything about it.

I'm wanting to ensure that the car is very well looked after at least during its running in period, and picking the 'right' fuel seems like an important part of doing this.

Thanks for any help!

Drem

Edited by Drem

You've missed a vote box for Esso brand. I voted 'other' but it's Esso that I use. Esso is pretty good stuff with grade one fuel cleaners on top of the secondary stuff they all have in. That's straight from there rep, and they still put tigers in their juice too, no wonder they are nearly extinct!!

Update: just changed my Vote to the new Esso box, ta Drem!

Edited by Estate Man

I used to know a guy that worked for Philips Petroleum and he sold fuel on the spot market to supermarkets. Excess fuel from the big companies for instance . So as he put it, some days you would fill up from your local Tesco/Asda etc and you would be putting fuel made by a bloke in a shed and some days you would be putting ib Shell/BP/Esso etc. No way of knowing which brand you would be using.

Lady Elanore, yes you are right about the way some fuel is sold. But this is just the basic 'after refining' fuel that meets the minimum EN rating, and without the individual company additives in. The additives are added much later before being 'dropped' into the tankers. Fuel company's order in advance the quantity of fuels they believe they need on a month by month basis from the refineries. Sometimes they over order and sell the excess to other company's. But it's rare to find for example Shell selling any of it's fuel with it's own additives in to another company, it's normally just the basic EN compliant fuel direct from the refinery. The high end stuff (99 ron) is refined differently and is hardly ever sold on to other company's. So even though you may see an Esso or Shell tanker at a supermarket petrol depot unloading, it will only be the basic EN fuel, not the usual Shell or Esso stuff. It's an interesting world we live in. emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Always used standard Shell, did try the expensive stuff but saw no appreciable difference, I'd have expected a fair bit of improvement for the difference in price...

I used v power diesel 1.6crtdi 105 bhp elegance and it pulls really well but I use it because it's a cleaner fuel I get 66 mpg , however I use shell saver fuel in the 1.4 tdi 70bhp and I get around 60mpg in that,I do put redex every fill up in the 1.4, will put redex in the crtdi when out of warranty

EN590 spec diesel for me.......thats all the fuels listed. I used to think there was a quantifiable difference with some fuels but after 35000 miles since new I realise they are all pretty much the same thing. Ok some of them may have different/better cleaning additives but if you fill up with a varying mix you got it covered.

mpg and power output no different for any of them that can be properly measured. outside air temp has a much more significant effect as well as driving style. The only definite difference I have found is that Total excellium causes my car to regen the DPF less often. Oddly enough Sainsburys diesel has the same effect.........they both cause more infrequent regens which means they chuck out less crap for every litre burnt...go figure.

I know I have posted in the past that I found fuels like shell fuelsaver to be better or esso's fuel. Going to put my hands up and declare that after burning an awful lot of various brands there is sod all to choose between them. I now pull in the nearest garage when I am getting low and the price looks right.........with my route thats usually total or Sainsburys. I dont use my local Esso as the lazy so and so's never fill up the paper towel or plastic glove thingamys.....as us disel drivers know the handles usually soaked in fuel so its the little things that matter :)

Edited, just ticked doesnt matter....

Edited by raisbeck

I've been feeding my GL2 exclusively on BP ultimate since I picked it up in May. Not got a basis for comparison, but I've got some decent mpg readings even on short trips from a cold engine.

I run my furby exclusively on bp ultimate too, I really rate, when I collected my car I filled with v power and in comparison it smoke alot less on ultimate than v power, strange considering the low sulphur content of v power, I think the ultimate burns much better :)

I used BP ultimate for the first around 2500 miles in my GL2, went onto normal BP diesel for the last 2,500 when the ultimate for some reason went upto nearly £1.50 a litre. :rofl: Didn't notice much difference to be fair, but it's hard to tell due to the engine obviously loosening up and getting run in over the few miles... it's just kept improving all the time.

I did decide from the start I would only put BP in it.

Right, having found some vouchers for 5p off a litre of fuel from Shell when you buy over 25l, I think that we're going to fill it with v-power at least until the vouchers run out, by which time it should have done 1.2k, and it should be started to be run in.

In case anyone is interested, the vouchers were in Waitrose, who just gave them to us when we asked, not sure if you're meant to buy a certain amount of stuff or anything, we didn't. :)