Peugeot's answer to the Octavia Scout

We had the saloon version as a hire car recently in Spain - very nice car to look at and well-specced. Very comfortable and reasonable to drive, although forward visibility is impaired by a huge and poorly placed A-pillar. Definitely not a 'drivers car' but I could see the appeal and made a nice 'cruiser' for a fortnight :thumbup:

However........during the 2nd week the in-built sat-nav and media system started to turn itself off when you were driving. Not very good if you're trying to follow the nav in the middle of Barcelona or using the parking sensors :thumbdown:

I'm sure Peugeot will tell you that their quality levels are improving - I'm yet to be convinced!!

I think the grill helps it look a bit fresher....however at best it still looks like a renault to me...still french and for that reason im out....(hope some of you watch dragons den or queue the tumble weed)

Pro's

It looks like an Allroad version of the Volvo V60 which can't be bad and perhaps illustrates the Scout is beginning to look dated - the model refresh can't come too soon. Amazing what a lift a bit of trim can provide.

I like the wheels in particular,

Interesting technology - the rear wheels are driven by electric motors too - so a hybrid.

Con's

I am a bit dubious about the lack of door ding protection for the car parks where I live.

I hate the 3008-style chrome 'bash plates' - I've seen these on a car at work, and they really couldn't be thinner and damage really easily.

Wonder how reliable and offroad capable the electric drive system will be.

In a perfect world I'd like the design by Peugeot and the engineering by Skoda, and the confidence that the latter brings. In the real world I'll keep me Scout, but I'm biased!

I had a pug 307sw before the Octavia 4x4. It was a money pit, nicely spec'd, good to drive, but it cost me over £2000 over 18months. I'll never buy another psa car

ive owned 4 cit 2 peugs all been great inc 2 xantias with all the gremlins but were easy sorted on own cost me 5 min of my life

It's a Peugeot!

Lots of toys, decent family layout, cheap(ish) to buy, but will suck the life out of your bank account as things will go wrong.

I know, I had one of their 'Friday' cars.

Edited by KBPhoto

I am both a Scout and Peugeot owner.

My 12 year old 150,000 mile Peugeot has been utterly reliable, the Scout has already suffered from the infamous ESP / ABS G210 failure and rotting alloy wheels, luckily all still covered under warranty.

I love my Scout and would have another in a heart beat.

Would I pay just shy of £30,000 for a Peugeot though, not likely!

Pro's

Interesting technology - the rear wheels are driven by electric motors too - so a hybrid.

Problem is they are ONLY driven by electric motors!

Picture this scenario: you drive up your mountain/snowy road to somewhere in 4x4 mode since you have a 4x4 drivetrain and a bit more ground clearance - so why not? You take some pictures/have a pint and then decide to drive down/further. But oh dear, you have depleted your battery! So your lovely 4x4 is now a 2x4 and you are stuck!!!!!! What a useless idea that is! Fine for a city car but in something that clearly wants you to go to places only a 4x4 with sufficient ground clearance can reach? A really daft idea in my book.

I'm amazed and disappointed at the negative comments on here. There was a time not that long ago when Skoda was the butt of jokes and criticised for no good reason.

ALL manufacturers produce the odd duff car, Skoda included - how about a shagged DPF at 7K, boost pipe goes bang at 10K, numerous rattles and squeaks from the dash, oil seal failure on throttle body resulting in a buggered wiring loom - these are all faults on my previous Octavia VRS CR170.

My father-in-law has a Pug estate with almost 100K trouble free miles. His previous 206GTI was a dream of a car and not a single thing went wrong in 80K, prior to that he had another 206GTI, again trouble free,,,,,,,,,,,, go figure!

Have some balance!

Problem is they are ONLY driven by electric motors!

Picture this scenario: you drive up your mountain/snowy road to somewhere in 4x4 mode since you have a 4x4 drivetrain and a bit more ground clearance - so why not? You take some pictures/have a pint and then decide to drive down/further. But oh dear, you have depleted your battery! So your lovely 4x4 is now a 2x4 and you are stuck!!!!!! What a useless idea that is! Fine for a city car but in something that clearly wants you to go to places only a 4x4 with sufficient ground clearance can reach? A really daft idea in my book.

Don't think this scenario is credible: its a hybrid so if the battery gets low, the diesel tops it up. It's also got a brake regeneration system which will recharge the batteries on downhill stretches if the system is the same as the 3008 hybrid. I agree though, that torquey electric motors are exactly not what is required in slippery conditions - I suspect the Haldex will outperform it.

I'm amazed and disappointed at the negative comments on here. There was a time not that long ago when Skoda was the butt of jokes and criticised for no good reason.

ALL manufacturers produce the odd duff car, Skoda included - how about a shagged DPF at 7K, boost pipe goes bang at 10K, numerous rattles and squeaks from the dash, oil seal failure on throttle body resulting in a buggered wiring loom - these are all faults on my previous Octavia VRS CR170.

My father-in-law has a Pug estate with almost 100K trouble free miles. His previous 206GTI was a dream of a car and not a single thing went wrong in 80K, prior to that he had another 206GTI, again trouble free,,,,,,,,,,,, go figure!

Have some balance!

Well said. I've had a lot of PSA cars and a lot of VAG cars, I still rate the Xantia TD I drove for years as probably the best car I've owned, but very closely followed by the Octavia TDi I have now. Neither were trouble free though, if you want that buy a Japanese petrol !

Have some balance!

I've had a Xantia & 406 as company cars & they broke down a lot. The Scenic suited my lifestyle & when I opted out of company cars I bought one - unreliable. I then gambled on the Scenic RX4 & lost which was a shame as I really liked that motor & it ticked all the boxes apart from reliability. In more recent years techs I work with were given a choice of Mondeo or 407. The 407's were a nightmare for engine management & electrical faults. Looked good & was comfortable but unreliable. The 307's on the fleet were better.

Rover (75) - butt of many jokes but most reliable car I've ever had although I found it a pig in snow & mud. Now on to Skoda. I prefer the look of most French cars but experience now overcomes temptation & will remain so until they start appearing near the top of the various surveys Skoda do so well in.

Don't think this scenario is credible: its a hybrid so if the battery gets low, the diesel tops it up. It's also got a brake regeneration system which will recharge the batteries on downhill stretches if the system is the same as the 3008 hybrid. I agree though, that torquey electric motors are exactly not what is required in slippery conditions - I suspect the Haldex will outperform it.

Maybe I'm exaggerating but do you know how far a hybrid Prius can drive on battery power alone? Two miles. Yes a paltry two miles in electric mode alone. Hence my scepticism about this being a true 4x4.

Whilst I can sympathize with those who have experienced problems with cars from our friends across the channel there is no denying that they are good value.

Some will argue at the expense of durability but I'm not convinced.

Remember that Skoda hasn’t always been renowned for their reliability. It took VAG's help to get them where they are today. You also pay for that partnership now too; Skoda's are not as cheap as they used to be.

Of the three main French manufacturers Citroen have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years.

Find me an Octavia to match this C5. 2008, less than 20,000 miles for £8.5K.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-CITROEN-C5-Diesel-CITROEN-C5-1-6-HDI-16V-VTR-4dr-/260830750662?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cbab967c6

My Octavia is brilliant but has sadly been adopted by the wife; however when my 12 year old Peugeot finally expires a used C5 in today's used car market is currently a more attractive option than a high mileage rather dated looking pre-FL Octavia.

CitroenC5.jpg

Edited by silver1011