First 3500 miles in 1.2 TSI - Minor (?) niggles

DJAYB

Just returned from hols where the Yeti performed very well in the Devon hills. I'm still amazed what this little engine can do (and so are passengers)!

However, there are two irritating niggles which I will be taking up with the dealer when I get the time:

1 The plastic caps which cover the wheel nuts have gone the way of the first set which were replaced after a couple of weeks. That is, they have developed a strange 'mottled' white finish. The dealer assured me that the problems with the first set had been a design fault which had been corrected. This set has lasted only a few weeks longer, so someone is telling porkies. They look a right mess once noticed!

2 More importantly, the car has developed a resonant high-pitched rattle which appears to be from under the rear passenger floor. This only occurs on the over-run (about 2500 rpm), for example when going downhill with no throttle. It could be something resonating in the exhaust, but is annoying and has been noticed by passengers.

Any similar experiences out there?

Thanks

Keep up the good work everyone.

It's acidic wheel cleaner that's causing the mottling on the plastic wheel nut caps.

Is your dealer called Grimm? ;)

Yup that's the problem.

Have it on our vRS.

No cure but to replace them or get the aerosol paint out.

Reckon you did well to get them replaced under warranty DJAYB :thumbup:

Just over a thousand miles and just over a month with my 1.2 now and the wheel nuts are still fine. No other problems to report with the car either and I continue to be happy with it.

Averaging 40mpg with a mixture of slow town and open road (dual carriageway/motorway) driving and the Maxidot figure is almost identical to the measured figures.

The rear seat passengers report that it is quite noisy and boomy in the back at anything over about 45mph but all the rattles and squeaks so far have been identified as things I have put in the car myself!

Yup that's the problem.

Have it on our vRS.

No cure but to replace them or get the aerosol paint out.

Reckon you did well to get them replaced under warranty DJAYB :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies. You may well be right but, if so, it's a poor reflection on the quality of he things - i.e. they're cheap and nasty. Also, the Yeti has only been hand washed at the local car wash once since this happened again. What the heck, I'll go back to Skoda and get some more (hopefully) when I take it in for the other problem.

Regarding mpg, I'm getting just around 40 mpg on each tankful (accurately measured and calculated each time).

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

1 Managed to get another (my 2nd) set of caps for the wheel nuts from the dealer, along with an admission that it is a common problem on all Skodas - so why don't they sort it ?

2 They think they've located the source of the vibration (more of a buzzing) as the central vents! Some more are on order. I was a bit dubious until I took the mechanic on a test ride and it seems to have disappeared. So far so good, but I reserve judgement at the moment.

One thing I learned: check the insurance requirements on an courtesy car offered. To be fair, the (Warrington) dealer did point out the excess before I signed (and politely declined the offer). The excess was ONE THOUSAND POUNDS!!!! What planet are they on! This is the only blank mark against the dealer so far, but it's an important one. I've never come across this before and didn't think it was worth the risk, preferring instead to spend £14 on taxis.

Almost two years now. Numerous automatic car washes. Wheelnut covers as good as new. Wash the wheels with a god domestic cleaner and a longhandled brush. Forget that nasty chemical wheel cleaner - it's not necessary.

Update:

1 Managed to get another (my 2nd) set of caps for the wheel nuts from the dealer, along with an admission that it is a common problem on all Skodas - so why don't they sort it ?

2 They think they've located the source of the vibration (more of a buzzing) as the central vents! Some more are on order. I was a bit dubious until I took the mechanic on a test ride and it seems to have disappeared. So far so good, but I reserve judgement at the moment.

One thing I learned: check the insurance requirements on an courtesy car offered. To be fair, the (Warrington) dealer did point out the excess before I signed (and politely declined the offer). The excess was ONE THOUSAND POUNDS!!!! What planet are they on! This is the only blank mark against the dealer so far, but it's an important one. I've never come across this before and didn't think it was worth the risk, preferring instead to spend £14 on taxis.

On the insurance excess, my company's insurance carries a £100,000 excess. It encourages careful driving and keeps costs down so I can't blame the dealer.

John

Almost two years now. Numerous automatic car washes. Wheelnut covers as good as new.

It's not the automatic car washes that are the problem. It is the alloy wheel cleaner applied by the hand car wash places that is acidic (to remove baked on brake dust).