1.2 tsi 86 fuel economy / oil use

jaxx007

I'm curious what other drivers think of the 86TSi in terms of turbo lag. I find it pretty unresponsive for just a second or two then it takes off. Isn't the supercharger supposed to mitigate this?

Haven't checked the oil recently. Our drive and road are on a slope so it's not possible to check at home. Must remember next time the car's parked on the level for a while...

The 1.2 TSI has a turbo and does not have a supercharger. My wife reports no turbo lag (but she drives quite gently). The few times I've driven it I've not noticed any appreciable lag.

Do check the oil. As usual with modern cars the sump is quite small (3.6 litres on the TSI?) so you can run very low on oil more quickly than you might expect if the consumption is higher than average. You make a good point about checking the oil level when its on the level. We also have a drive that slopes considerably - the relatively small oil capacity coupled with the position of the dipstick into the front part of the sump (especially if the car is facing up the slope) can create totally erroneous reading levels. So you can end up with too much oil if you are not careful about the reading/topping up which is nearly as bad as too little oil.

Can you tell I've become paranoid about the oil level?

However as I posted earlier oil consumption seems to have improved.

Seboni - I must have had a bad 1.4tdi then. it does have torque but catch it before the turbo spools up and it is dead. The 1.2 tsi even in the lower tune is such a better drive than the 1.4 tdi. The range of power delivery is wider and others have said the low down torque is not that bad. Also the gearing is longer.

In my TDI I could drive foot to the floor and it would run

out of power at 90. The petrol does not it just keeps pulling. Don't let the 1.2 capacity fool you.

As I said earlier my low powered estate is working fine as our main car. The car it replaced in that duty was a 2.0 tdi B6 Passat Estate which I do not miss at all even after long

motorway journeys in the Fabia.

Oh and to answer your question hardly any oil consumption up to 10k miles. I put in 250ml but I probably didn't need to.

Oh I agree the 1.4 tdi growler not happy after 70 mph it's not that kind of engine, remember it's a 3 cylinder so not happy at over 70 but up to there it's a cracker, the crtdi is a totally different kettle of fish, not happy below 1700 rpm but once on the move it's astonishing but pootling about you need the lower gears to keep it going totally different to the pd engine

Oh I agree the 1.4 tdi growler not happy after 70 mph it's not that kind of engine, remember it's a 3 cylinder so not happy at over 70 but up to there it's a cracker, the crtdi is a totally different kettle of fish, not happy below 1700 rpm but once on the move it's astonishing but pootling about you need the lower gears to keep it going totally different to the pd engine

With the GL 1 gearing my engine is very quiet up to about 90. 2500rpm on a standard PD 1.4 is 70 mph. 2500 rpm in mine is closer to 90 and still pulling hard. I bottled it at a ton as Its no sports car. Shame they didnt use the GL1 gearbox in all the PD 1.4's. Over 3000 rpm the engine does get harsh and has certain rpm ranges that vibrate a bit. Technology has moved on now but its a reliable and efficient lump of engine.

• 3 years later...

Above says drive slopes,, as does mine,      I use a pair of ramps to get vehicle horizontal  (and also to work underneath) to check oil level once a week. when cold.

(Freecycle or eBay so cheap as chips)

My Fabia 86 estate is just coming up to 1000 miles and has averaged a true 50.4mpg to date ( 52-53 on the display ), it hasn't used a drop of oil so far and i'm actually driving it a bit harder than I normally would so as to run it in properly. I mainly drive on A roads and motorways but I do a fair bit of town work as well.As it is so high geared it is difficult to maintain more than 2-2400rpm for any length of time so I've been winding it up a bit in 2nd and 3rd but on a light throttle so as not to " lip the bores".

When I've got some more miles on it I'll do a proper economy run, probably to the NEC if there's anything good on, and I'll see how close I can get to my petrol record of 73.54 attained in a Suzuki Splash 1.0.

1.2 tsi 85ps SE estate, returns 52-54 mpg consistently, running at legal limit on long motorway runs. High 40's around town. No oil useage in first 10k miles. Incredible low speed torque climbs 1 in 6 hills much easier than my 1.9 tdi.

1.2 tsi 85ps SE estate, returns 52-54 mpg consistently, running at legal limit on long motorway runs. High 40's around town. No oil useage in first 10k miles. Incredible low speed torque climbs 1 in 6 hills much easier than my 1.9 tdi.

That's really good economy.

True about the torque, it really is astonishing for a 1.2.

Does the "Advanced Member" refer to driving ?

I think the HTP will soon be replaced by the 1.0 TSI which will be in the Up! based city car. Which will be nice http://ww1.briskoda.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Why will it be nice?

Its a smaller engine, with less torque. The only difference between the 60ps and 70ps versions are beyond the redline, which most wouldnt use anyway.

The torque in the htp isnt bad at all at around 3,000 rpm.

My parents are after a new polo. They dont need anything fast as mum drives it most the time, but wont be getting the 1.0 litre version. 1.2 tsi 86 gets my vote

My 1.2 TSI 86 has just passed the 5K mark. Performance wise it has been surprisingly good I must say.

I have not yet added any oil whatsoever.

MPG wise it has been a bit of a disappointment on two counts - 

1 - The average MPG (2) readout is always showing approx 3 mpg more than the actual brim to brim calculation.

2 - It is not a short journey car - round town it gives approx 36/8. Urban runs it just pips the 42 mark.

3 - Motorways, at say a constant 70, it just hovers around the 50 mark with careful driving.

It certainly pays to stay in 3rd gear around town - this can make a big big improvement to fuel consumption. The gearing ratio in 4th makes it necessary to apply a bit of throttle to maintain speed, this is when unnecessary fuel is used when loads are placed on the engine for no reason.

Many do not realise that almost all car manufacturers have for the last 5-10 years made a deliberate move to set the 3rd gear ratio to suit best the requirements of town driving.

Give it a try, you could be quite surprised. I don't always remember to do this myself, which perhaps explains my figures above.

PS - forgot to mention that there is now a slow discernible improvement in MPG as my mileage increases. I hope this continues

Edited by 2ndskoda
  • Like 1

Further to my previous post above, I apologise for a mistake. It should say low 40's round town rising to mid 40's urban runs. All achieved with a light right foot and using on board computer which may not be accurate.

• 1 month later...

Got mine 2nd hand in May - 86PS 61 plate Fabia Monte Carlo

I have got 502 miles out of the tank twice - mostly by coasting in neutral (or dropping clutch) at various downhill/flat points.

The worst I ever got was 250 miles to the tank ... that 2nd gear turbo is just begging to be used!

In summer, I was getting about 460 miles per tank.

With winter/certain supermarket petrol I was getting about 390 miles to the tank.

With branded petrol I get around 420 miles.

Typically I get 50 litres in the tank ~ 11 gallons. So anywhere between 23 and 45 mpg.

Going into work I can regularly get 52 - 55 mpg (coast down couple of hills).

I will try 3rd gear for in-town (I normally use 5th as advised by car computer).

Air-con, especially Max, seems to reduce mpg noticeably (rarely get about 30 mpg when on).

About to drive to Germany at the weekend via Belgium ... will be interested to see  how many miles to the tank I get from  long constant cruise control.

And will be interesting to see if the pull-to-the-left becomes a pull-to-the-right or just behaves as it the car has come home.

Regards
Steve H

• Like 1