1.2 tsi 86 fuel economy / oil use

jaxx007

My dealer has informed me that my new car is being built and should be driving it in 2 or 3 weeks, so the time to return my current 1.4tdi 80 is almost here. My current car averaged 60-61 mpg and has never needed a top up of oil over the 3 years I have owned it.

The question I ask to tsi 86 owners is what sort of fuel economy are you currently getting and has it drank much oil?

My dealer has informed me that my new car is being built and should be driving it in 2 or 3 weeks, so the time to return my current 1.4tdi 80 is almost here. My current car averaged 60-61 mpg and has never needed a top up of oil over the 3 years I have owned it.

The question I ask to tsi 86 owners is what sort of fuel economy are you currently getting and has it drank much oil?

Good luck on your move from a diesel to the petrol tsi. If it's anything like mine you will be lucky to get 40mpg in real life driving, now I have the 105 tsi but I don't think the mpg figures are any different in the book. Coming from a Octavia vrs 170 crtdi that always did 45mpg and 55mpg on a long run I've been very shock at the mpg of the tsi engine, it's not much better than my first vrs petrol that has 200 bhp and a lot heavier body. You might not have the same problems as me though as I'm sure an engine with only 105 bhp has to have something wrong with it to be this bad.

Edited by Vrs2

I've heard the 1.2Tsi's can be thirsty for small turbo'd engines. I test drove the 105Tsi and was very impressed with the power it produced and the way it drove. The dealer was pushing me towards it but I opted for the 1.6CR 105 in the end. I got it on the 1st September, on the way back from the dealers to my home it averaged 60.5mpg. That wasn't just flat roads, it was full on hills and town driving at one point so extra urban mainly. With the price of fuel at the moment I wanted to remain as economical as possible. We currently lease an Audi TT 170 Tdi which manages 51mpg on a run. Round town isn't great though at about 36-37mpg.

I'm sure you'll love the car, they are awesome fun to drive and look good. Let us know how you get on with it :)

I've heard the 1.2Tsi's can be thirsty for small turbo'd engines. I test drove the 105Tsi and was very impressed with the power it produced and the way it drove. The dealer was pushing me towards it but I opted for the 1.6CR 105 in the end. I got it on the 1st September, on the way back from the dealers to my home it averaged 60.5mpg. That wasn't just flat roads, it was full on hills and town driving at one point so extra urban mainly. With the price of fuel at the moment I wanted to remain as economical as possible. We currently lease an Audi TT 170 Tdi which manages 51mpg on a run. Round town isn't great though at about 36-37mpg.

I'm sure you'll love the car, they are awesome fun to drive and look good. Let us know how you get on with it :)

I have read a lot of owner reviews on the tsi engine all over the entire VAG group of cars and it doesn't make for good reading.That's not to say same people don't get good mpg out of them, but I think they must live in very flat parts of the country with no motorways and some people are happy to poodle along at a horse and cart rate so will get the very best out of them. That kind of driving is not for me I just want a car you can jump in and drive normally without having to really concentrate on driving slow and smooth. These days I spend most of my time stairing at the average fuel consumption in disbelief, instead of concentrating on the road ahead.

I have now given up trying to get good mpg and now just drive to enjoy it and return about 35 mpg over a week, which isn't the end of the world but I just wish I could of driven it for a week before buying it, then I would of gone for the fabia vrs. Much more power with about the same real world fuel consumption, I had the pleasure to drive one of them for 2 days and managed 36 mpg with some very swift driving so was very impressed.

So like Matt-VRS says if your end goal is good mpg then diesel is the only real option. P.S My tsi has not burnt a drop of oil over 1500 miles.

Edited by Vrs2

My wife has a year old Elegance TSI 85 (listed as 85 on the V5C), which has now done 8800 and just had it's first service. Fuel wise around the 44 mark appears to be the regular fill to fil were getting with mainly rural road use. Not as yet had need to top up the oil, although I check if fairly regularly as I'm aware some owners have experienced high oil consumption with the 1.2TSI.

TP

My wife has a year old Elegance TSI 85 (listed as 85 on the V5C), which has now done 8800 and just had it's first service. Fuel wise around the 44 mark appears to be the regular fill to fil were getting with mainly rural road use. Not as yet had need to top up the oil, although I check if fairly regularly as I'm aware some owners have experienced high oil consumption with the 1.2TSI.

TP

I am sorry to ask but by rural do you mean countryside (I.e hilly areas) or general town driving. I know my fuel economy won't be as good as in a diesel but I hoped to see an average around 48-50 ish. In 3 years of only covered 21500 miles so I couldn't justify spending a grand more on the tdi 90. Plus if we keep the car there is no cambelt change which covers the cost of the extra road tax for the tsi.

I am sorry to ask but by rural do you mean countryside (I.e hilly areas) or general town driving. I know my fuel economy won't be as good as in a diesel but I hoped to see an average around 48-50 ish. In 3 years of only covered 21500 miles so I couldn't justify spending a grand more on the tdi 90. Plus if we keep the car there is no cambelt change which covers the cost of the extra road tax for the tsi.

Hi,

the car tends to spend most of it's time on A & B roads and unclassified lanes around the Yorkshire Wolds, with occasional runs into the local town and trips across the Humber into Lincolnshire.

TP

Thank you for clearing that up. 44 sounds much better than 35. There don't seem to be many going for the tsi 85. I'm one of the stingy ones win wouldn't pay the extra for the 105 lol.

Have driven both and for our needs the 85 has proved more than adequate, so were glad we didn't pay the extra for the 105.

TP

I knew from The test drive that the 85 would suffice but obviously there is no way to judge a cars economy from a ten Mile or so drive. Especially as the car only had 14 miles on the clock when I took it out. It seems I may be driving like a granny now to save fuel lol.

I get around 40-45mpg out of mine and i haven't noticed much oil drinking either. My 16v before used to drink oil which was normal for that engine.

Would you describe yourself as having a "relaxed" driving style or do you hurry about???. Also is that mostly town driving or mixed etc?

Thank you.

Thank you for clearing that up. 44 sounds much better than 35. There don't seem to be many going for the tsi 85. I'm one of the stingy ones win wouldn't pay the extra for the 105 lol.

The big reason for some to go for the 86hp is the fact that it is several insurance groups lower so can make a big diffence to the insurance for the young-uns which is why we might buy the 86 hp Monte Carlo.

Power is about 20% difference but the Torque is only 10% difference so think it feels not massively apart in normal driving.

Hopefully they will put that 86 hp tsi engine in the Octavia when the non Turbos have been discontinued as I prefer the longer service intervals of the Octavia though love the Monte Carlo looks.

I can get 45 mpg (real) out of the Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG, best range show 630 miles, so I am sure it is possible to get 45-50 mpg out of the 1.2/1.4 TSIs, particularly the DSGs with the appropriate driving techniques.

And cylinder 2-3 shut off will be available of some TSI engines next year giving another 2 or 3 mpg.

Suppose I should drive the 105 hp diesel but after recently coming off a Ford/Volvo 1.6D I do not wish to relive that experience!

My fabia 105 dsg7 returns about 53mpg by weekly basis and measured by the pump (volume/distance).

I i'm a relaxed driver, no harsh accelerations, trying to keep a steady speed.

My daily commute is 50km total each way, 30km @ ~130km/h, 10km @ ~ 120km/h and 10km@ ~ 50-70km/h. In the morning this returns around 59mpg. In traffic afternoon creeping through the city it returns 49mpg. The last figures from the mfd. But that seems to give lower mpg figures then i actually gets (normal is the other way around)

No oil usage either. Very pleased with the fabia as i went from a toyota d4d 126hk that returned worse figures for the same commute.

Would the cylinder shut off thing be a manufacture process or something that could be updated during a service? I'd imagine it wouldn't be something that can be retro fitted.

It is an addition of 3 kgs of mechanical trickery and no doubt quite a bit of cost. Would be worth it where fuel is a bit expensive ie most of Europe.

Think they are talking about it for the 122 hp and 140 hp and maybe the 160 hp. No reason why it would not go on the 180/185 hp version too.

So sorry no retrofit and Skoda may not get to 2013 or 2014 in the scheme of things. Depends how well it sells in the Audi and VW brands I suppose.

You are doing exactly what I did last year. I got about 54 from the TDI and about 45 mpg average on the TSI. Mainly short journeys with occasional 40 mile runs.

Like you we couldn't justify the extra for the 105. We are running our Estate as our main family car now and it is great. On a trip from Liverpool to Scotland at a trip computer average of 70mph (if you know what I am getting at) it did 40mpg which I was very surprised about.

Under similarly rapid driving the 1.4 TDI was about the same.

I am pretty sure you will not regret the decision. The 1.4 TDI is a bombproof engine and has a bit of character but it is long past it's sell by date. The TSI is bang up to date and near silent, also pulls very well. Even when fully loaded with roofbox I have never been in a position when I thought I really needed more power and I have owned much more rapid cars in the past.

Thank you black for putting my mind at ease a fair bit. At first I thought you meant a speedo indicated 70 and was disappointed with your returns. I understood properly of the second read lol. The 1.4tdi usually returns 61 ish on 40 mile motorway runs at indicated 70. Don't suppose you have done a run at indicated 70 in your tsi to compare???