Octavia or Mondeo est for towing?

Hi Guys,

First post on here for a good couple of years I'm afraid, what can I say other than my old octavia I SLX TDI (99) has been trundling along with no problems :) (Other than a failed wheel bearing the other week which is the 1st thing to put it off the road since bought new 12 years ago). Its only done 100k so probably one of the lowest mileage octys about of that generation. It tows a 1300 kg (Max for the octy I) boat up and down slipways and several times a week most of the year but really finds the boat a bit heavy in terms of stability and braking on the 16 mile round trip to the water.

I'm looking to replace it soon and was wondering if anyone on here tows anything similar with their octy II (2.0 TDI estate) on a regular basis. I'm a little worried that it is only rated to 1400kgs where as the last generation Mondeo estate is rated to 1800kgs. I can only assume that the newer Octys lower towing weight is due to the relatively short wheelbase for the length of the car.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Mondeo as similar age and mileage examples can be had for £2k less than the Octy.

Mark.

The Mondeo will have a higher towing weight because it is a bigger car and weighs more, I believe a diesel scout is rated for 1800 kgs and has the advantage of 4wd.

Ian

Great advice there that would sound like the best option check some out!

Hi Guys,

First post on here for a good couple of years I'm afraid, what can I say other than my old octavia I SLX TDI (99) has been trundling along with no problems :) (Other than a failed wheel bearing the other week which is the 1st thing to put it off the road since bought new 12 years ago). Its only done 100k so probably one of the lowest mileage octys about of that generation. It tows a 1300 kg (Max for the octy I) boat up and down slipways and several times a week most of the year but really finds the boat a bit heavy in terms of stability and braking on the 16 mile round trip to the water.

I'm looking to replace it soon and was wondering if anyone on here tows anything similar with their octy II (2.0 TDI estate) on a regular basis. I'm a little worried that it is only rated to 1400kgs where as the last generation Mondeo estate is rated to 1800kgs. I can only assume that the newer Octys lower towing weight is due to the relatively short wheelbase for the length of the car.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Mondeo as similar age and mileage examples can be had for £2k less than the Octy.

Mark.

Hi,

I have a TDI Scout and tow a boat (bit lighter than yours - 20ft folding trimaran). Absolutely brilliant on slipways etc and no issues at all on the roads (I have been up and down the country and across to France with it in tow).

Just back from a weekend away towing a caravan with the Octavia and it certainly is a good tow vehicle. However, if I was choosing between the Octavia and a Mondeo (and I was at the begining of this year) then I would have the Mondeo in a heart beat. The only reason I chose the Octavia was down to seating as I have nerve damage in my back and the Mondeo (Titanium Sport 2.2 diesel - was my choice) was too low and the side bolsters too big. The Octavia was a better seating position whilst retaining a spacious boot for a wheelchair.

Having said that, I have no regrets buying the Octavia, it's a great car and does tow very, very well. The best you can do is have a good long test drive of both and pick what suits you best. The stats and figures are only half the story, it's only with a good test drive that you can make an informed choice.

Good luck and happy shopping ! :)

Cheers for all the replies Guys. I've added a quick Piccy of my current Octy with the boat on the back.... :thumbup:Banana2009001.jpg

I'd love a Scout and I did test drive one when they 1st came out back in 2007. At the time I ended up buying another car which I still have and can only want to spend up to about 7.5k Max on the Octys replacement. I'm looking at cars around the 60k mile mark which puts the Scout and 4x4 well out of my price range really. :'(

Maybe I should soldier on for another year and save some more pennies for a scout/4x4! lol.

I've found the old Octy surprisingly capable on the slipway with the EDL soon stopping any wheel spin if the slipway is wet or covered in weed. Its just the way the tail wags the dog on bumpy roads and poor brakeing performance I don't like so much. Would the traction control on the Octy II work in the same manner?

I know day to day I'd prefer the Octy to a Mundano but I'm worried the Octy II won't tow noticeably better (more power aside) than the Octy I. I guess the question I should be asking is who as towed with both Octy I and II!? :rofl:

Mark

Cheers for all the replies Guys. I've added a quick Piccy of my current Octy with the boat on the back.... :thumbup:Banana2009001.jpg

I'd love a Scout and I did test drive one when they 1st came out back in 2007. At the time I ended up buying another car which I still have and can only want to spend up to about 7.5k Max on the Octys replacement. I'm looking at cars around the 60k mile mark which puts the Scout and 4x4 well out of my price range really. :'(

Maybe I should soldier on for another year and save some more pennies for a scout/4x4! lol.

I've found the old Octy surprisingly capable on the slipway with the EDL soon stopping any wheel spin if the slipway is wet or covered in weed. Its just the way the tail wags the dog on bumpy roads and poor brakeing performance I don't like so much. Would the traction control on the Octy II work in the same manner?

I know day to day I'd prefer the Octy to a Mundano but I'm worried the Octy II won't tow noticeably better (more power aside) than the Octy I. I guess the question I should be asking is who as towed with both Octy I and II!? :rofl:

Mark

Oooh, I do like your boat and it looks like a good size outboard. I bet thats fun :yes:

Oooh, I do like your boat and it looks like a good size outboard. I bet thats fun :yes:

Yeah, she is a bit of a beast and alot of fun! Shame it's 5mpg thirst for unleaded means that I can't afford a nice new Scout to tow it with!

Were you looking at the current Mondeo or the pre 2007 model. I drove a 2005 2.0 TDCi one 500 miles in a day a few years ago and it was a lovely car. I was looking a the 2.0 TDCi Zetec or LX to keep the running costs/purchase price as low as possible. My other car is suitably rapid so I want to keep the costs of the towing mule as low as possible.

Mark

Yeah, she is a bit of a beast and alot of fun! Shame it's 5mpg thirst for unleaded means that I can't afford a nice new Scout to tow it with!

Were you looking at the current Mondeo or the pre 2007 model. I drove a 2005 2.0 TDCi one 500 miles in a day a few years ago and it was a lovely car. I was looking a the 2.0 TDCi Zetec or LX to keep the running costs/purchase price as low as possible. My other car is suitably rapid so I want to keep the costs of the towing mule as low as possible.

Mark

Hi Mark, that boat sure rocks ! It was the latest MK4 that I was looking at, although a friend has a MK3 Titanium X diesel and it is a cracking car with a very high spec. If your looking at a diesel in Zetec or LX trim, keep an eye on the engine as there are 2 TDCi versions. The 130bhp and a de-tuned 115bhp. The 130 is obviously the better engine and is easily mapped to 160-170 for not a lot.

The MK3 is a hell of a good car and would certainly give more stability for towing such a large boat. You also will have a large pool of them to choose from, so be fussy and get the best you can.

Again though, the Octavia is a great car too but looking at your picture, it does look a bit small compaired to "the beast" :thumbup: . Have you thought about a Superb ? Might keep you in the family but with a bit more weight for towing ?

Hi Mark, that boat sure rocks ! It was the latest MK4 that I was looking at, although a friend has a MK3 Titanium X diesel and it is a cracking car with a very high spec. If your looking at a diesel in Zetec or LX trim, keep an eye on the engine as there are 2 TDCi versions. The 130bhp and a de-tuned 115bhp. The 130 is obviously the better engine and is easily mapped to 160-170 for not a lot.

The MK3 is a hell of a good car and would certainly give more stability for towing such a large boat. You also will have a large pool of them to choose from, so be fussy and get the best you can.

Again though, the Octavia is a great car too but looking at your picture, it does look a bit small compaired to "the beast" :thumbup: . Have you thought about a Superb ? Might keep you in the family but with a bit more weight for towing ?

Yeah, I would imagine there are a few Mk 3 mondeo's being sold that are 115's pretending to be the 130 too which would be something to check for. There are defo more mondeo's to choose from but looking around Octavia owners seem to take much better care of their cars and whilst there are fewer about it may be easier to find a good one.

If they did the Mk1 Superb as an estate then I would already have one on the drive :thumbup: . I nearly bought a mint 2.5TDI about 2 years ago but pulled out at the last minute due to the hatchback factor. I know it is a big boot but it just lacks the height I need for boat gear and bulky stuff. Reversing the boat is also a doddle in an estate if you open the boot and drop one of the rear seats! Unlike a caravan you can see right under the hull and exactly where the wheels are!

Mark