What's the vRS like in snow?

Hi folks, currently have an Octy vRS MK2 and considering changing the wife's Seat Altea for a Fabia vRS while they're on VAT free. Just wish it came with a manual 'box as I'm unsure about the whole DSG thing. Nothing wrong with the way they drive just slightly doubtful about what happens in snow? Does the DSG have a winter mode or not? I often start off in 2nd and feed the clutch in real slow in the Octy which works fine but obviuosly this is not an option with the DSG, so how did current owners find the last winter and what sort of price are people paying fo rnew ones at the moment?

Thanks in advance for your responses :thumbup:

I live in Sweden and we get proper winters here. I picked my car up in Mars 10 and we had a huge blizzard while I was driving my new car home.

The secret lies in the use of WINTERtires for the winter... if you go for proper tires, there won't be any problems at all.

If you go for summer-tires in the snow... well, stick to walking instead ;).

EDIT : No, it doesn't have any winter-mode but that's not needed really.

Edited by Confide

What ever you do just get rid of the altea, I bought one had it for 8 months, we had a holiday in Majorca and saw it before it was in the uk so on a whim bought one, refremce sport 1.9tdi worst mistake I have ever done, why don't you go for a monte with the diesel innit manual box and looks better than a VRS ( in dealers opinion ;) ) Whatever you do though your on a winner , winter tyre's and traction off you'll be fine in the snow

I never turned off my tractioncontrol... and tbh, S-mode have the smoothest take-off by default.

Used S all winter, great for running in a new engine xD!

Well your the one in the snow more often but leaving traction on, thought the best way on snow was traction off ?

Well your the one in the snow more often but leaving traction on, thought the best way on snow was traction off ?

If your leaving TCS off, all you will do is spin your wheels (depending on how much you floor it).

I've read about people not being able to drive their Fabias with TCS on... but that's because they are using SUMMER-tires in WINTER ;).

No matter how soft they are (no, not even the Federal RS-R 595 will help :p), they won't be close to a proper winter-tire.

I have a set of winter tyres waiting to go back on in November

We really wouldnt be without them

Both our cars were fantastic in ALL conditions last year

Which tyre's did you get I'm near snowdon I may have to get some this year, the prognosis for this year is identical to the snows we had last winter, maybe worse so I may have to I'm a support worker so cannot just not turn in for work

I may only put them on the front

Big, big mistake.

Change them all or none at all. Or you'll go round a corner and the back will overtake the front and the results may not be nice.

Imagine driving in rain with bald tyres on the back. Same effect.

(there are plenty of other sources saying it's crazy)

• 2 weeks later...

Big, big mistake.

Change them all or none at all. Or you'll go round a corner and the back will overtake the front and the results may not be nice.

Imagine driving in rain with bald tyres on the back. Same effect.

(there are plenty of other sources saying it's crazy)

I ran my vRS last winter on the Continental tyres it came with, handled the snow perfectly, no problems for me. Only issue I had was skidding on ice / freezing rain into my managing directors Jaguar.... he was more miffed that he needed a new bumper and all i needed was a new number plate screw.

I ran my vRS last winter on the Continental tyres it came with, handled the snow perfectly, no problems for me. Only issue I had was skidding on ice / freezing rain into my managing directors Jaguar.... he was more miffed that he needed a new bumper and all i needed was a new number plate screw.

Imagine that it would have been at a crossing and a child would have ran out in the road instead... you sure you don't need winter-tires?

Vewdestien Snowtrac3's are the best studless snow tyre I've used upto now. They clear their tread quickly and really bite on corners unlike a few other brands I've driven on.