Auto Dimming Mirror Retrofit

Just secured a complete Scirocco auto dimming mirror from a breakers with everything including the mount etc. I'm assuming its a two wire fit (+VE & Earth). Anybody know which is which by chance?

Also need to secure the thing to the widscreen. Whats the best stuff to use? I think I'll have to use a scraper to clear the black "spot" from the windscreen glass.........

Is the mount a different shape to yours then?

The mounts come bonded to the screen then everything else simply slides into place. The black 'spot' on the screen is to give the adhesive something to stick to, so I would leave it on if you can.

I've got a standard mirror which has the small mount. The Auto Dimming one has the light sensor and a much larger mount which would need bonding to the screen (I have the metal "ring" which looks as if it has black adhesive aroind it). I'm also assuming I can use this to retrofit auto lights as well?

I'm assuming I can use a Stanley blade to scrape off the black marking on the glass.

post-47653-0-21875300-1315392336_thumb.jpg

post-47653-0-50604200-1315392399_thumb.jpg

If you are just wanting the auto dimming mirror function, then you simply bond the new units holder on the windscreen, problems start if you want the wipers and lights to be a part of the system.

Yeah I know where it goes it's HOW it goes; what adhesive to use etc.

Also why would problems start if I want lights and wipers?

Yeah I know where it goes it's HOW it goes; what adhesive to use etc.

Also why would problems start if I want lights and wipers?

I'm sure I saw a mirror bonding kit in Halfrauds, or maybe a dealer would have something.....you could always call Gavin from Autoglass! :rofl:

Perhaps 'problems' isn't the right choice of word, it would get more involved (and expensive) with running wires through the headliner, A pillars, then buying new switches, wiper controls etc.

I'm sure I saw a mirror bonding kit in Halfrauds, or maybe a dealer would have something.....you could always call Gavin from Autoglass! :rofl:

Perhaps 'problems' isn't the right choice of word, it would get more involved (and expensive) with running wires through the headliner, A pillars, then buying new switches, wiper controls etc.

I was going to give the guys down the road at RAC widscreens a call or catch one of the guys that comes to our company cars. As for the Auto Lights and Wipers - I'd love them and would actually pay to have them retrofitted. I had them on my last VRS and miss them!

Not a problem running additonal wiring as I'm going to be doing so for the mirror power anyway.

I was going to give the guys down the road at RAC widscreens a call or catch one of the guys that comes to our company cars. As for the Auto Lights and Wipers - I'd love them and would actually pay to have them retrofitted. I had them on my last VRS and miss them!

Not a problem running additonal wiring as I'm going to be doing so for the mirror power anyway.

I didn't realise it was powered from the battery, I had auto an dimming mirror many moons ago on a Peugeot 406 Coupe and that was self contained. :thumbup:

How it all goes well, and get some pictures up when its done. B)

For the other functions you're asking about, a cable is required to run from the sensor for auto wipers to the convenience module. It might also be that you require a different version of that module, it might not be a straight case of just running and connecting up the additional wire. Then for auto lights, you would need an additional wire from the back of the headlight switch to the CAN gateway.