fuel computer

hi guys just a quick one, to cut a long story short i've accuratly worked out my fuel computer on my vrs to be showing 22% more mpg that what im actually getting, for example showing 51 mpg and only getting 40 mpg real life, is there any way i can sort this out, thanks guys.....

Hi Nathan

As you suspect car computer ridiculously optimistic. I've been driving same car for about 12k now

and got suspicious about it's figures so I've done a lot of "measured runs", best I can manage ;

mixed (50/50) 39

100% motorway 47 Car claimed 59

This is with reasonably legal / sensible driving.

You could probably get a bit more if you drove incredibly carefully but you didn't get a VRS to do that

did you ?

For a car of it's vintage the mpg figures aren't too bad I suppose but the inaccuracy of the computer really

****es me off, it's a precisely metered injection system for gods sake. I assume it's been frigged deliberately.

Angus

I complained to the dealer when I bought mine - he said there was absolutely nothing they could do about it.

My previous 2004 car was much more accurate...

I tend to use total miles to a full tank...is that not easier???

Sorry - but that's irrelevant to the question which concerns the accuracy of the fuel computer not anything about the range of the car.

Why late model vRSs have such inaccurate computers is a mystery.

I have logged about 20 full tanks on my 56 reg VRS and get an average of 48mpg which I think is pretty decent considering I tend to be one of the faster cars on my drive to work (14 miles, varying from dual carriageway to stop-start town driving).

My VRS computer tells me I'm getting anywhere between 50-65 mpg to/ from work. Reality is 48 mpg so probably around the 22% innacuracy OP is getting.