Upgrading Instrument Cluster

An old member called Eddy h change all his instrument cluster to vw ones with blue illumination and they had the display in the middle,think if you search for a thread by him relating to clusters you will find on there that he did a step by step guide i believe

it is a maxidot from an R32..............get in touch with VRSerious as it was previously his car. im sure he will be able to answer any questions you need answering

Was just reading though it and was gonna suggest asking vrserious aswell!! lol

Looked really good in his car

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking at his profile and it looks like he hasn't been online for awhile but pm him and let us know if he gets back to you! I really like this mod!

"I was looking at his profile and it looks like he hasn't been online for awhile" I live on this sodding site, it makes me spend too much money.

The display is a mix of a R32 maxidot (FIS cluster) with the original instrument cluster, you sort-of in not so easy a way, stick the original face on top of the maxidot and move a few things around (this can be a pain in the arse if you do it your self or just pay someone) and then you have to have your clocks etc coded to the car, Ben at shark is your man for that.

Weird maybe in a rush I read it wrong! :D

So simply put I can just cut my current led icon one out and plug the maxidot one into the middle of my current instrument cluster plug it in and should work after some coding?

Is it possible to get a maxidot display from any mkiv based vehicle?

Does it display which door is open or just shows a door is open?

Sorry for all the questions but this has to be one of my favourite mods that I would really like to do, but I was told you need to change the entire instrument cluster and recode all your keys(also make sure the immo is that same) and reset your clocks and all that jazz. If I get what your saying then this could be a lot cheaper than I was quoted at €700

I live on this sodding site, it makes me spend too much money.

The reason this thread exists :p

Edited by Eccentric Toast

Weird maybe in a rush I read it wrong! :D

So simply put I can just cut my current led icon one out and plug the maxidot one into the middle of my current instrument cluster plug it in and should work after some coding?

Is it possible to get a maxidot display from any mkiv based vehicle?

Does it display which door is open or just shows a door is open?

Sorry for all the questions but this has to be one of my favourite mods that I would really like to do, but I was told you need to change the entire instrument cluster and recode all your keys(also make sure the immo is that same) and reset your clocks and all that jazz. If I get what your saying then this could be a lot cheaper than I was quoted at €700

The reason this thread exists :p

Your keys will need re-coding as your immobilizer is built into your cluster.

As far as I'm aware, you can use the maxidot display from a Passat/Golf and a few other VAG models. The answer is Yes,it will show which door is open :thumbup:

I know it cost me £150 to fit and code my maxidot and satnav (that is once the cluster has been assembled)

Remember that all your backlights will be BLUE, I had a climate control from a Passat/Golf so it colour matched.

Its not the cheapest mod but does make your car very different :thumbup:

Alternative is what I call 'mini-dot' from the L&K - this won't show the door open stuff, but it has a half-screen like a lot of the higher end mkiv golfs had. You'd need to find a 1.8T model donor to have a suitable rev counter though, but the lights would be green if you wanted to keep the colour. :thumbup: