anyone recommend a good set of led sidelights ?

Thanks guys for the info, have tried 2 different sets of leds, the 1st set kept going on and off, the set i have got in at the moment kept flickering and going on and off, i spoke to the guy who i bought them off and he supplied me with some resistor bulb holders, which has stopped them going on and off, but they still keep flickering. When i get the new set, will i still be able to use the resistor bulb holders or should i plug them directly into the original bulb holders ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140564343534?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I've tried 3 different sets of LED sidelight bulbs, and these are what I'm using now. No errors whatsoever from these, and next day delivery.

I've been so impressed with them that I bought another set, and fitted them into the puddle lights in the mirrors.

Can thoroughly recommend these.

Mike

Same here on my sidelights. :thumbup:

Had a look at how to get the old bulb sidelights out today...you have to remove the whole lamp unit, right?

No problem there - looks to be a case of undoing a plastic nut, pulling up the fuse holder and then releasing the unit...putting it back I assume is simply a reversal of the above - the handbook talks about getting the alignment checked - is that necessary?

If I get DRL activated, I assume it will be the sidelights that illuminate..I haven't got fog lights!

Thanks!

Edited by Hoddhead

It is easier to take the full light out -- just remove the plastic nut, and then pull the hooked release bar at the bottom.

As far as the DRLs go, it depends which mode of DRL you have activated. On the Octavia there are 2 modes of DRL. First is Scandinavian, which is front and rear sidelights and dipped headlights all on whenever the ignition is on, Volvo style. The other mode is North American, which is only dipped headlights, whenever the handbrake is off. As soon as the handbrake is pulled on, the lights go out.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Indeed it does, thank you! I don't have any DRL activated at the mo, as I tried to use the stalk setting method described in the handbook, but nothing happened! Will sort at some point - I'm reluctant to start taking bits off the car, but like the look of the LEDs compared to the 'ordinary' sidelight bulbs.

Don't worry about it -- it's a 30 second job to take the light unit out.

Mike

Having seen how pathetic my sidelights were this morning in town (when I didn't need full headlamps) with their dull yellow glow, I think this will be worth doing!! Did you have to get them realigned afterwards, or do they slot back in exactly as they came out?

Thanks for the helpful information.

Andrew

Having seen how pathetic my sidelights were this morning in town (when I didn't need full headlamps) with their dull yellow glow, I think this will be worth doing!! Did you have to get them realigned afterwards, or do they slot back in exactly as they came out?

Thanks for the helpful information.

Andrew

I appreciate that you didn't "need" headlights.

However sidelights are not designed to give you any kind of useful "lighting of the road" - they are there so other people can see you.

If you need lights to actually "light up the road" then you should be running on headlights.

Personally I cannot see a situation where sidelights are actually of any use.

In any condition where sidelights should be on, then headlights will be a perfectly sensible and better alternative.

I can't think of any situation where sidelights would be an advantage over either no lights or headlights.

I appreciate that you didn't "need" headlights.

However sidelights are not designed to give you any kind of useful "lighting of the road" - they are there so other people can see you.

If you need lights to actually "light up the road" then you should be running on headlights.

Personally I cannot see a situation where sidelights are actually of any use.

In any condition where sidelights should be on, then headlights will be a perfectly sensible and better alternative.

I can't think of any situation where sidelights would be an advantage over either no lights or headlights.

No, you are right, I didn't need any lights tbh at the point where I noticed how poor the sidelights are, having had the headlights on in a bit of mist, and then got into town where it had cleared. I feel that better sidelights are an option for me personally, particularly when I get DRL activated, so there will always be some form of lighting. It wasn't a question of "lighting the road" as you put it, either. I drive around 500 miles a week in a work vehicle, so am well aware of when I do and don't need lights!

If sidelights are as useless as you would appear to believe, why do so many people on here upgrade them? :wonder:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140564343534?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I've tried 3 different sets of LED sidelight bulbs, and these are what I'm using now. No errors whatsoever from these, and next day delivery.

I've been so impressed with them that I bought another set, and fitted them into the puddle lights in the mirrors.

Can thoroughly recommend these.

Mike

delivered, fitted, working ! :thumbup:

no flickering or unwanted dash warning lights, so-far...quite happy ;)

would quite like to change my fog lamps as they now look quite yellow, compared to my hids and led sidelights... :wonder:

also now thinking of drls but dont know how easy these are to fit to a pre-facelift vrs ???

Edited by studmuffin

delivered, fitted, working ! :thumbup:

no flickering or unwanted dash warning lights, so-far...quite happy ;)

would quite like to change my fog lamps as they now look quite yellow, compared to my hids and led sidelights... :wonder:

also now thinking of drls but dont know how easy these are to fit to a pre-facelift vrs ???

Pictures would be nice :yes:

THe fogs, well I´am on the same boat. Have a dealer that has a 5000k H8 but I still don´t know about the life span of them.

Edited by alberg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mikeholroyd, thanks for posting the link, I've bought a set and fitted them to my octy, very nice. I have one question though, I've only just noticed this tonight, whilst in the car I turn on the ignition, without starting the engine and noticed, in a reflection, that both LED side lights flicker. This seems to happen only for a second, but it does happen everytime I switch on the ignition. I was wondering, could this be something to do with the bulb check ?

Hi Mike, sorry I forgot one detail, they flicker when the lights are off and the iginition is on, they are fine when turned on. As you say, probably nothing to worry about, just an observation.

Edited by cj_uk

Guys, are these LED's white or blue?

I know Mike said they are white but they do look very blue in both his and alberg's photo's?

I'd like to try a set but don't want blue, I'd like ice white to match my xenon's...

Check this out for great LED DRL's on the pre-FL vRS.

No one on here as tried it yet but I am sure it will work and look excellent, it'll be the closest look to the FL LED DRL's.

Much better than aftermarket 'stick-on' strips...

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/200817-octavia-pre-fl-led-drls/page__hl__led+drl%26%2339%3Bs+scout

I finally fitted mine yesterday (ones from Mike's Ebay link) - it took me ages to work out how to get the bulb holder out...in the end I just gave it a good pull and out it came! LEDs look good - very slight bluish tinge, but definitely better than the dull yellow glow from the ordinary bulbs. Noticed that one of the 5 LEDs on one bulb was flickering intermittently, so the Ebay seller is sending me another to replace. Can't say fairer than that!