Removing the glove box

Has anybody managed to remove the glove box in a Superb II? It should be easy, but I just cannot figure out how to remove the handle, which I think is necessary in order to get to the fifth torx screw, as I am not able to fit a screwdriver or bit in there while the handle is blocking it. It looks to me as if I am supposed to push in the small hook underneath the handle, and then pull the handle out, but it just won't come off. Is there anything else that must be done? Do I even need to do this in order to remove the glove box?

The reason I want to remove the glove box is to look for a rubber grommet behind it, which I can use to pull a cable out to the front of the car. I would like to install a 220V interior heater, drawing power from my garage. These things are rather handy during Scandinavian winters.

This is the problematic handle:

rsfml3.jpg

And this image shows the hook, and also the screw behind:

2d1mr09.jpg

Push that little tab in and slide the handle cover to the side. The handle has a hole in it once.the cover. Is off which will let you undo the screw.

I can't believe I'm having this much trouble with something so seemingly simple. I'm pushing the tab in, but the handle doesn't slide in any direction. I'm trying to force it with screwdrivers, but it is as if it is glued in place.

The cover doesn't slide. Once you push the button underneath in then gently lever the bottom half towards you. There are two catches on the inside (on the top) which will disengage, and then you can gently lever the top half towards yourself as well.

The button will come off with gentle pressure, do not use too much or the catch will break.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay. I'm sure Dustpuppy's method would work, but I couldn't get it to. I ended up buying the L shaped torx, which finally enabled me to get the glove box off.

Unfortunately, I found no rubber grommet, and no way to route a cable out to the front. A large wire harness went off to ahead of the center console, but that was it. If anybody has installed a cable through the firewall in a Superb II, I'd be interested to know how.

When the dealer installed the alarm on my car,they had to route the cable to the front for the horn.They did it on the left side,near the fuse panel,behind the steering wheel,but I wasn't paying attention,so I can't give you more informations .

• 6 years later...

If you want to run wiring at the back of the glove compartment then you will have to remove the compartment  !  It has 5 screws blue dotted.  The 5th screw is behind the push button.  The button it self is a fascia or trim clipped on to the mechanism.  The red dots is where it's clipped on and red arrows is where you want to grip with fingers or use a trim removal tool to pry it towards you . Once the button is off you have access to the 5th screw .

Screenshot_2018-09-12-11-21-11.jpg

Screenshot_2018-09-12-10-59-18.jpg

Edited by 9@zA
To explain differently
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...