Skoda logo on domed Audi center caps?

I just purchased a set of new winter wheels mounted on seven spoke Audi "Abitos" winter alloys to use on my '07 Octavia.

abitos16.jpg

The original plan was to replace the center caps (Audi "#4B0 601 170") with a Škoda set off eBay (front 60 and rear 55 mm), but when I popped them off at home I discovered the Abitos actually uses the "#4B0 601 170 A" version with a chrome ring around it making it 70 mm wide. Finding a Škoda (or neutral) set with Ø70 mm in front and 55 in the rear seems impossible.

audi4b0601170a.jpg

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do to Å kodafy them? The stick-ons seem to be intended for flat caps (although this seller claims his 70 mm ones would work on the domed Audi caps). I already removed the Audi rings so those can't interfere with the adhesive.

The chrome ring can be removed, but I don't know how to attach them to an other 60 mm set as those won't extend underneath the chrome like the original ones do.

I 'baked' some eBay Skoda badges for 20mins at about 180/200 oC for my Audi BBS Pescara wheels and they moulded into the perfect shape. I got rid of the wheels but the badges always looked OEM and even after jet washing the car they never looked anything but perfect. Below is the worst of the bunch that was never fitted due to the scratches but it does give you an idea of how well the badge bonded once cooked! They were 55mm 3d Skoda logos from eBay if I remember correctly.

6738a441.jpg

Edited by Moley RUFC

I had the same issue, so I stuck some aluminium eBay badges over the Audi cap (once the Audi rings had been removed), but the quality of the badges was pretty poor and the paint didn't last all winter:

DSC09033.jpg

I managed to buckle one badge trying to fit it as they were a VERY tight fit, so I removed the Audi rings, filled the recess with some body filler and painted the cap, which IMO looks better - I just have the other 3 to do now before the winters go back on :giggle:

IMG_0612.jpg

No offence to Moley's efforts but I would not be happy with those :no:

HTH

They smelt nice cooking though

I just might try that.

So exactly how did you go about this?

Did you just place the original caps on a plate and then position the Å koda one on top of those and leave it inside the oven?

I had the same issue, so I stuck some aluminium eBay badges over the Audi cap (once the Audi rings had been removed), but the quality of the badges was pretty poor and the paint didn't last all winter:

I managed to buckle one badge trying to fit it as they were a VERY tight fit, so I removed the Audi rings, filled the recess with some body filler and painted the cap, which IMO looks better - I just have the other 3 to do now before the winters go back on :giggle:

HTH

Looks nice. That would be my backup plan. Maybe I should get a can of the same anthracite grey as the rest of the car?

Why not use the Audi centers? The rims are Audi, so why change that? :)

Because it looks more coherent?

I have a set of Audi 20s to mine and i use the Audi senters. I also have Merc 19s and have the Merc star in the center, because that is what the rims are :) I Think that it looks better oem, than home made "fake" :) but remember, thats my opinion only :)

I'll dispense some sage advice...

Just leave the Audi ones as they are. Wheels with a logo on from a different German marque = critical scene points. You've already got the wheels so you'd be a fool to throw away free points.

I'll dispense some sage advice...

Just leave the Audi ones as they are. Wheels with a logo on from a different German marque = critical scene points. You've already got the wheels so you'd be a fool to throw away free points.

Aren't you afraid people not "in the scene" will think you're trying to make your Å koda into a poor-man's-Audi? Or doesn't "off-scene" people count?

Similar to the 'cooking' method, I used a heat gun (paint stripper type) to warm the sticker and it moulded perfectly to the dome (I bought Golf wheels for winter though, and they required the larger (90mm dia. - I think) centres).

• 2 months later...

I just remembered that I didn't post here about the finished result. I ordered a set of four Skoda resin stickers from www.3dcarstickers.com which turned out to be somewhat bad. If you look at their picture you notice a 3D shine on them which I supposed came from the decal actually being in 3D, but it turned out the schmuck had used a Skoda logo with 3D shading(!) and then covered it with resin. :dull:

Thinking I would at least see how it looked I tried them on and getting them to stick to the domed original cap was no problem just using the sticker's own adhesive. I decided it would work for this winter, but will probably try and find a replacement set later on.

sommarvsvinter.jpgSummer: 17" Skoda Pegasus - Winter: 16" Audi Abitos

Edited by Tiny Turtle

Just to please Gizmo ( ;) ) I snapped a couple of closer shots today.

Since the resin wasn't properly centered ( :dull: ) on the logo on one of the stickers there is a thin grey line visible on the left side of it on the close-up. You'd have to come pretty close to notice it though... :)

winterwheel.jpg

centercap.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality - cell phone camera and not much daylight up here in Sweden at the moment (and even worse when you work nights and sleep half the day).

Just to please Gizmo ( ;) ) I snapped a couple of closer shots today.

They actually look better than I thought they would, I toyed with the idea of resin caps but I wasn't convinced they would stick to the domed OE caps, it will be interesting to know if they survive the winter, if they do then I may look into doing a set of (one of) my spare sets.

(I have also upgraded my old 5 spoke winters to the Audi Abitos's :thumbup: )

They actually look better than I thought they would, I toyed with the idea of resin caps but I wasn't convinced they would stick to the domed OE caps, it will be interesting to know if they survive the winter, if they do then I may look into doing a set of (one of) my spare sets.

(I have also upgraded my old 5 spoke winters to the Audi Abitos's :thumbup: )

I will try and remember to post a picture of the caps come spring to let you know how they survived a Swedish winter. At the moment we're not seeing much of it though - haven't seen temps below zero (Centigrade) yet in the Stockholm area which is *way* warmer than normal.

Those Abitos sure look good - don't they? :thumbup: