Attention to all Fabia VRS Owners

Stu vRS

Thats a BP garage isn't it?

Theres a few garages around the country that sell 102RON fuel, about 25-30 I believe.

Those not running 98RON fuel saying the will cope with their misfiring, especially when driving hard... you realise thats detonation... that can cause catastrophic engine failure... right?

Thats a BP garage isn't it?

Theres a few garages around the country that sell 102RON fuel, about 25-30 I believe.

Those not running 98RON fuel saying the will cope with their misfiring, especially when driving hard... you realise thats detonation... that can cause catastrophic engine failure... right?

Shush don't let them start moaning again :doh:

that can cause catastrophic engine failure... right?

yep round about the same time as that blue pig flies over the pink moon

if 98 is soooo much better than 95 then how come a formula one car ran just fine on 98, surely thats a similar position as me running 95 instead of 98 or are the ferrari boffins stupid?

and here starteth the great debate :giggle:

Edited by the mad monk

if 98 is soooo much better than 95 then how come a formula one car ran just fine on 98, surely thats a similar position as me running 95 instead of 98 or are the ferrari boffins stupid?

Easy....... if an engine is made for a "range" of octanes...(most are)...the engines ECU can be fine tuned to make it run perfectly on one particular RON! My AUB engine will run on 95 or 98 as it states in the fuel filler cap...but they run better on the 98RON as it suits the physical build of the engine and the "general" ECU mapping from Skoda! It will also run a higher octane fuel than stated as the mapping will cope with this. However I could go to a tuning company and get the ECU remapped and the parameters really fine tuned so that it runs to it's best just on 98RON or even 104RON!

It is best to go with the best recommended fuel grade by the car manufacturer for the long term health of the engine! B)

Will give the dealer a ring to check this monday - however I mentioned the lumpy idle at cold and they said should wait beofre driving off anyway - I did this anyway but did wonder if its just a quirk.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, mine had the update and so far, seems to be no misfiring on start up.

The occasional high revving, but no juddering so far. Saying that, it has only been a week.

Got the alarm key beep activated as well :)

• 1 month later...
Guest George512

Just thought I'd bump this by saying that mine has just had the ECU update today. I had booked it into the dealers with a misfire thinking it would be something more serious like a coilpack or spark plug, as I had some horrendous misfiring under load (bringing up the EML on several occasions and even throwing the car into limp mode with "Workshop: engine" on the maxidot and the EML and EPC lights on).

The dealer gave it a road test, reproduced the misfire, brought it back, read the faults, updated the ECU, cleared the faults, road tested and the horrible misfire was gone.

So if you're having a problem like that, it's worth booking it in. I thought the update would only fix the "cold stutter" when first starting, but it appears that it fixes misfires generally under load etc as mine seems to be 100% fine now.

Hope this helps anyone who stumbles on it :thumbup:

Will give the dealer a ring to check this monday - however I mentioned the lumpy idle at cold and they said should wait beofre driving off anyway - I did this anyway but did wonder if its just a quirk.

Manual says drive off straight away.

Tony

Well, mine had the update and so far, seems to be no misfiring on start up.

The occasional high revving, but no juddering so far. Saying that, it has only been a week.

Got the alarm key beep activated as well :)

Thanks for the Heads up Stu,

Im due a service next month, I will ask about the update.

Now to continue an OT discussion ;)

Alarm beep...grrrr. A naighbour of mine has a shogun that beaps 3 times, really high pitched and pretty loud, he locks and unlocks it about 4 times in the morning every day, usually at about 5:30-6:30 every single morning.... Very annoying.

I've just had massive problems with a misfire under acceleration. Went as far as getting out skoda assistance and took the car to dealers too. Always filled up with momentum and vpower but seem to have got a bad batch along the way. Perhaps from a rather cheap shell garage.

Dealers checked everything and didn't find a problem and suggested that I used cheap petrol, which I knew I hadn't. Went away and filled up with vpower at a different shell garage and the car is back to its old self. From undriveable at anything other than gentle acceleration to being fast and enjoyable again.

I couldn't live with a misfire like that and if I have to pay a little more to avoid it then I know I will do so happily.

H

Oh and I know the dealers didn't update the ecu as I asked that direct question after reading about the update on here and my misfire continued after being to the dealer for another 30 or so miles before just disappearing after three weeks of misfiring.

H

• 2 years later...