£1000 to spend on a Oct vrs

jimmyinrugby

Hi all.

I have never had one of these but one fell into my lap last night...2002 Octavia vrs in silver,one owner 99k ....Cost me £920

So I thought I would have a giggle and throw a grand at it and make it a bit quicker !!..So peeps what would you put on it for a grand??

I looked at a dump valve thingy for £69,don't know what it does really...

K&N I remember from my youth !!! but £110 for a kit when others are cheapier,but any good??

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Cheers

Jimmy

Hi all.

I have never had one of these but one fell into my lap last night...2002 Octavia vrs in silver,one owner 99k ....Cost me £920

So I thought I would have a giggle and throw a grand at it and make it a bit quicker !!..So peeps what would you put on it for a grand??

I looked at a dump valve thingy for £69,don't know what it does really...

K&N I remember from my youth !!! but £110 for a kit when others are cheapier,but any good??

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Cheers

Jimmy

Take a look in the octavia section and see what others have done. You'll quickly see what is done by others and many guides will be in there to help save you time and money :)

Good luck

Stay clear of atmospheric type dump valves, they cause all sorts of running issues on the 20v turbo engines, you need to use a recirc type. Forge motorsport do some nice upgrade ones, but I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

£110 for an air filter kit is obscene in my opinion, christ knows how they actually manage to sell any at that price, if it were me I'd do it the teflontom pikey way and get a £10 universal cone filter and an angled aluminium intercooler elbow the correct size and a few 99p hose clips.. Besides you'll soon be driven mad by the noise and put the standard airbox back on.

My money would go on a decent suspension setup and maybe a basic remap/chip, then maybe a updated intercooler kit but stuff like this tends to get pretty expensive especially if you are paying out for somebody to fit the stuff too... Oh and get a magic tree too, vanillaroma flavour :thumbup:

Stay clear of atmospheric type dump valves, they cause all sorts of running issues on the 20v turbo engines, you need to use a recirc type. Forge motorsport do some nice upgrade ones, but I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

£110 for an air filter kit is obscene in my opinion, christ knows how they actually manage to sell any at that price, if it were me I'd do it the teflontom pikey way and get a £10 universal cone filter and an angled aluminium intercooler elbow the correct size and a few 99p hose clips.. Besides you'll soon be driven mad by the noise and put the standard airbox back on.

My money would go on a decent suspension setup and maybe a basic remap/chip, then maybe a updated intercooler kit but stuff like this tends to get pretty expensive especially if you are paying out for somebody to fit the stuff too... Oh and get a magic tree too, vanillaroma flavour :thumbup:

Hi...

I've just got the magic tree,and yes it is the vanilla one !!

I don't mind spending the money as it will give my mate something to do as he's out of work and I am like a big kid anyway !!

I am waiting for the remap bloke (Ben) from here to get back to me with a price,I think it is £349...

It won't stop at £1k I promise you, once you've started modding cars you never stop.

£350 isn't too bad for a remap to be honest, but do have a look at other brands too.. Like revo or custom code, they all seem to have come down in price recently. I remember getting my polo tdi chipped back in 2002 and that was well over £500!! Crazy money tbh.

Well, an Octy vRS is a "deceptively fast" car to start with, so I would start by checking the brake disc thickness, and then fitting fast road front pads, plus new discs where required and new rear pads if required.

Next I'd buy a rear ARB because the vRS also has a rep for understeering (makes sense because it has a heavier FARB and the same RARB as the other models so the front is too stiff in roll relative to the rear).

Now I've sorted the brakes and chassis enough for road use I'd check my budget and think about a remap.

Well, an Octy vRS is a "deceptively fast" car to start with, so I would start by checking the brake disc thickness, and then fitting fast road front pads, plus new discs where required and new rear pads if required.

Next I'd buy a rear ARB because the vRS also has a rep for understeering (makes sense because it has a heavier FARB and the same RARB as the other models so the front is too stiff in roll relative to the rear).

Now I've sorted the brakes and chassis enough for road use I'd check my budget and think about a remap.

Hi Money isn't an issue,it's just something to turn it in to,but say 5k tops,no more

Hi Money isn't an issue,it's just something to turn it in to,but say 5k tops,no more

If your budget is 5k you could make a very nice Octy...

Modification lists are in priority order for each section (my opinion....)

Chassis:

• Rear anti roll bar (RARB) Whiteline 24mm if you're keeping the OEM 19mm FARB.....or....Neuspeed 28mm is about the best you can buy. LINK

If fitting the 28mm Neuspeed RARB you really should change the FARB to the R32 one, this is 23mm and around £85 from TPS. Replace the drop links too while you're there!

SuperPro poly bush kit. LINK This covers:

• Front wishbones (front & rear set)
  • FARB - state which size, 19mm is standard vRS, or 23mm for the R32.
  • Steering rach bush
  • Lower engine dog bone mount (complete set of bushes)
  • Rear trailing arm (axle) bushes

• Audi S3 lower subframe brace & bolts - around £50 from any dealer.
  • Coliovers. KW Varient 3 are the best you can buy, but are very pricey £1000+. AVOID LIKE A DOSE OF THE $HIT$ KW Varient 2's! KW Varient 1 are very good but have no adjustment other than ride height - if you go for these you may as well have the Weitec Hicon GT's as they're exactly the same only galvanised instead of being stainless like on the KW's. LINK

Brakes:

• New brake fluid! Sounds daft but it makes a massive difference!
  • Good quality fast road pads - Ferodo DS2500 are pricey buy good!
  • OEM discs are as good if not better than most aftermaket jobbies.
  • Goodrich stainless brake hoses.

GOOD TYRES - no budget $h!te, otherwise all of the above will be a complete waste of money!!!!!!!

Engine:

• Good engine service (Oil & fuel filters, 5w/40 fully synthetic oil, belts etc.)
  • Oil catch can (OCC)
  • Piper/Green/K&N panel filter - (fabricate a 3" feed into the airbox)
  • Forge 007p recirculating dump valve
  • Piper/Jetex/Milltek 2.5" cat back stainless system
  • Samco/Forge turbo intake pipe
  • 2.5" downpipe and sports cat (200cel or 100cel - 100cel is better!) You can get 3" downpipes but these are OTT for the standard turbo.
  • Forge Front mount intercooler
  • Stage 2 remap (approx 240bhp)

ENJOY......5k pretty much gone :)

Steve

Hi pal, I'd budget your 1k for maintenance - cambelt could be due soon and you are taking a big risk on not doing it if it was due at 80k

in terms of upgrades i'd say

new filters all round

check brakes upgrade pads

rear arb

remap (rtech or shark)

wishbone and rear beam bushes

the rest won't make any difference, and to spend £600 on suspension is a waste if the above have not been done

p.s. budget £100 per corner for decent rubber too

As others have said....

A car for that initial purchase price unless you have dropped on beyond belief I'd be spending the cash on decent discs, pads, all fluids and filters changed, new brakes all round and new tyres... if it would stretch that far.

Then look to see what you can do from there. I just thing if your going to modify, you want to make sure the basics are solid first.

Then, look at filter, intercooler, exhaust and remap for power.... at 99k the suspension will be tired so decent suspension like KWv3's or Bilstein PSS9's would make a decent improvement... get the bushes sorted at the same time if applicable and then get it all aligned at a proper garage that doesn't settle for 'in spec'

Steevie Wonder....Cheers for that..

I am having a full service tomoz along with..

Both front wishbone arms renewed with tt ones.

New air filter

Dump value on hold as I dont wanna sound like a chav (I am 40!!)so looking into them,or anyone suggest one ?..

I had new black wheels with new tyres put on it on Sunday (so 3 real ones for sale,nudge nudge,I cant post them,I tried and it was removed!!) lol

Having it remapped and the guy said "I WILL GET IT TO 265-275 FOR YA NO WORRIES " !!! ??? Cost is £325 but he know's me and said £225...

And I have my magic tree !!

Having it remapped and the guy said "I WILL GET IT TO 265-275 FOR YA NO WORRIES " !!! ??? Cost is £325 but he know's me and said £225...

I'd be seriously worried if somebody said that to me, in fact as far as I can remember off the top of my head from studying the compressor maps, the standard turbo can't flow enough to make more than about 240bhp.. Maybe Stevie wonder might know the answer to this?

• Like 1

Hi Tom,I know bugger all about cars etc,but the guy has done a couple of my bmw's and seems good,BUT several people have said the same as you.Hopefully Steve may see this and reply,not having it re-mapped untill Wednesday morning at 11....

With 5K, I'd follow Stevie's list, in order of sections posted. I wasn't the one who said 1k though.

No way will you get much past 240bhp with a K03 turbo. In any event, the remap is last thing to do with an engine, induction and exhaust that are having other works done, because a competent mapper (not a bu11$h!tter) will make the map work with the other bits if they're there.

240bhp is about the absolute max a KO3s can kick out. People often claim higher, which may be true, but they are as lumpy as hell and with a massive spike in performance they'll have no puff top end.

As said above the remap is the last thing to be done on the engine, ideally by a reputable company like Shark or Jabba.

Spending 5k on a car like this isn’t as stupid as it sounds. You would struggle to find a car for 6k that would be half as good once all the suspension/engine mods have been completed.

I’ve spent thousands on mine, I’d need to spend over 70k to find a car in this condition and with this power/setup.

Steve

Got the car back at 5 tonight,had it fully serviced with everything just about inc cambelt and water pump (cheap one!!) and also had the 2 bush arm things by the front wheels done (???) Nice sounding air induction kit for £16 !!!! really nice sounding,not too chavey etc !! Taken your advise and cancelled re-map..Don't know what to do next...Think I will leave brakes for now as they are "as new"

Don't know what to do next...Think I will leave brakes for now as they are "as new"

SUSPENSION!!!!

Rear anti roll bar! Get the Neuspeed 28mm bar and put it on its softest setting until you uprate the front anti roll bar. That way you save having to buy a bigger one!

Steve

Went to order the dump valve from that link,directed me to the home page,found it item cmb0966,but it £53.90 plus vat plus p&p,so cheapier on Ebay??

Anti roll bar ordered,£235,seemed cheap...Cheers Steve

Went to order the dump valve from that link,directed me to the home page,found it item cmb0966,but it £53.90 plus vat plus p&p,so cheapier on Ebay??

Anti roll bar ordered,£235,seemed cheap...Cheers Steve

Neuspeed 28mm bar?

You wont be dissapointed! If you like tail out action whack it on the stiff setting otherwise the soft or medium will be better.

Either way it will transform the cars handling!

Steve