Winter Alloys & Winter Tyres

steveo1

Hi folks,

Last December was crazy driving in that snow, so earlier this year I searched round and got myself a set of 15" mrk 4 VW golf "avus" alloys off ebay (got them for a great price and delivery to NI wasn't that expensive either).

Once the alloys arrived I made sure I had done my homework correct and fitted them to the car, yup they fitted perfect.

So I am getting ready to buy some tyres this week - sourcing out some "195 55 R15", but I have been told I can get away with "195 50 R15", is this correct? - just want confirmation b4 I place any orders.

On another note, the tyres that came on the alloys when I got them say they are "all season" (see pix) Would they be good in the snow perhaps? Complete novice here...

Ive never heard of this brand of tyre either (Belshina). The tyres are also too big 195 65 R15

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

So I am getting ready to buy some tyres this week - sourcing out some "195 55 R15", but I have been told I can get away with "195 50 R15", is this correct

Standard tyres are 205/45R16 which come in an 83 load index so you need to check the maximum permitted axle loads to see if a lower index tyre is allowed.

Depending on the wheel width the possible choices appear to be

• 185/60R15 load index 84 (or XL 88) is 2.05% larger, T or H speed ratings
  • 195/55R15 load index 85 is 0.78% larger with a reasonable choice, T, H or V speed ratings
  • 205/50R15 load index 86 is 0.83% smaller, H speed rated, but the choice is quite limited
  • 185/55R15 load index 82 / XL load index 86 is 1.08% smaller, T or H speed ratings
  • 195/50R15 load index 82 / XL load index 86 is 2.52% smaller, T, H or V speed ratings

If choosing based on size I'd probably have an H-rated 195/55R15 tyre, or if deciding based on the specific tyre and price I'd have any but 195/50R15.

the tyres that came on the alloys when I got them say they are "all season" (see pix) Would they be good in the snow perhaps?

I would only choose all season tyres that are from a good manufacturer and carry the 'snowflake over a triple peak mountain' symbol as then there is a reasonable chance they'll be OK on fresh and packed snow.

The Skoda permissible wheel/tyre combination for winter tyres on the Fabia vRS is:

185/55 R15 85H on 6J x 15H2 ET 43 alloy rim

This is from the Skoda ELSA database, stick with this combination and you won't invalidate your insurance. I would notify your insurance company if go off the recommendations.

Saw a recent shoot out review in a car mag of all season tyres against summers and winters and they aren't as good as winters in the cold. If you are running 2 sets of wheels I would go for proper winter tyres on the 15 inch rims.

These are my Winter Tact WT81 on VR6 BBS alloys:

106_0095-1.jpg

Edited by djdazzy

In my experience, "All-Season tyres don't work very well in either summer or winter,.

If you are going to the trouble of running two sets of wheels then you will do best to run dedicated 'Summer' and 'Winter' tyres and avoid compromising with the 'All-Season' tyres which in reality are neither.

Hi everyone, I have just ordered some Kumho KW23 205/45 R16 87H XL not realising there were other Kumhos which were

205/45 R16 83H UHP. Have i made a mistake? Also does anyone know if these tyres are any good?

Thanks. Ferg.

Hi everyone, I have just ordered some Kumho KW23 205/45 R16 87H XL not realising there were other Kumhos which were

205/45 R16 83H UHP. Have i made a mistake? Also does anyone know if these tyres are any good?

Thanks. Ferg.

Hi Ferg, I ordered the the 83H variant, but they (mytyres.co.uk) fitted the 87H. The only difference is the load rating - essentially sidewall stiffness. The vRS should have 83 rating, but I've had some 87 tyres before (Toyo Proxes) and no problems.

I'm not worried about it. As to how good the Kumho KW23 is.... time will tell when the temperature drops!

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread because my opinion has changed ;-) ... and in case anyone searches and find this.

If choosing based on size I'd probably have an H-rated 195/55R15 tyre, or if deciding based on the specific tyre and price I'd have any but 195/50R15.

I've started to think that the vRS might not have a specific setting to allow for the larger overall diameter when compared to other trim level cars, since 205/45R16 is an option for any Mk1 Fabia.

If that's the case, 205/45R16 is already 2.25% larger than the standard wheel size for most of the range, 185/60R14. This would mean 195/55R15 would further increase the inaccuracy of the speedo.

I'm now strongly favouring 185/55R15, being the standard alternate size.

The official Skoda tyre sizes documentation says that 83 is the minimum load index, but this provides a much lower margin than Skoda normally specify, so I'm also thinking that XL tyres in either standard size would be a safer/better option.