cat scratches on windscreen

Neighbours cat is never off my car... now noticed several scratches in glass of windscreen...any clues people how to get rid.. the scratches that is... I know what I'd like to do to the cat

Thanks in anticipation

Sorry, don't have the answer but keen to understand the cure.

My passenger window when lowered must have had some grit caught in the seal and has scratched the glass.

Someone told you me you can buy a special 'glass cutting' paste/polish?

Off to have a search...

Didn't take long, sounds like this will do the trick, £15 plus delivery though.

No doubt the local Halfords will stock something similar...

http://www.planetpolish.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4

The simple and inexpensive way to remove light scratches and surface marks from glass. This kit contains full instructions on how to repair your car’s glass at a fraction of the cost of most repair outlets.

• Automotive Glass (All Kinds)

• Also suitable for Domestic Glass and Glass Furniture

This kit includes:

Glass Scratch Repair Polishing Compound

Polishing Backing Plate

2 Felt Polishing Pads

Polishing Cloth. Special Wet & Dry Paper.

Sponge

PLUS Full Step-by-Step Instructions

Safety Information

Glass Scratch Repair contains Cerium Oxide.

Keep out of reach of children. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice.

Instructions.

1. Obtain an electric or cordless drill. Max Speed up to 2000 rpm.

For automotive applications it is advisable to mask off the bulkhead area (this

where the wipers are fixed) also any paintwork that will be in close proximity to

the damaged area during repair. You will require masking tape and paper (not

supplied).

2. Clean the damaged area making sure it is completely dirt and dust free. Fix the

backing plate to the drill and fit a felt polishing pad (fit soft side to Velcro).

Shake bottle vigorously ensuring all slurry has been mixed. Always shake

bottle between applications. Carefully apply some Liquid Glass compound to

the pad and start the drill and place the face of the felt pad to the damaged

area, making sure to move the pad with a rocking motion across the damaged

area. Keep the RPM slow to avoid the pad slipping off the backing plate.

3. When the Liquid Glass Compound dries out you should stop the drill, wet the

pad to reinvigorate the compound or add more compound and continue until

the scratch or marks are completely gone. Note: During summer, high

temperatures can heat the glass and dry the felt polishing pad very quickly.

4. Remember to keep the polishing pad wet and periodically use the sponge to

wipe the area clean to see if the damage is still present. When the damage has

been removed, clean the sponge out, use it wet to remove the residue from the

glass. If any of the Liquid Glass Compound has come into contact with car

paint lift it off with the sponge, making sure the sponge is very wet.

5. The polishing cloth can be used for areas where the drill cannot reach. It can

also be used for domestic glass applications however care should be taken

when applying pressure to windows and glass furniture as there could be a risk

of breaking the glass.

6. Avoid the Liquid Glass Compound coming into contact with the skin and eyes.

If contact does occur wash area with plenty of water. Liquid Glass contains Cerium Oxide.

Warning:

Do not keep pad in contact with the glass for more than 40 seconds at a time or

the glass will get to hot and might crack.

For more information and details of other great products please visit

www.planetpolish.com

Edited by silver1011

My understanding of the matter is that Glass is a very tough surface and as such scratches cant really be easily "Polished out" like they can in paintwork.

I have seen mention of using something called "Jewellers Rouge" in conjunction with a machine polisher, however most articles ive read on the subject just seem to advocate a new windscreen if the scratch is particularly deep or obstructive to vision.

Cheers

You can polish scratches out of glass but may take some elbow grease.

Having been a cat owner for many years I can be quite sure a cat did not damage your glass its claws are not tough enough to do that.

Most likley you had some grit under the wiper blade or someone has caught it whilst wearing a diamond ring.

I agree with ruffday, i have got 8 of the little sh--s and after i have washed the car they are all over it like a rash, had a few scratches on the body work [little bas---ds ] but never on the screen.

You can polish scratches out of glass but may take some elbow grease.

Having been a cat owner for many years I can be quite sure a cat did not damage your glass its claws are not tough enough to do that.

Most likley you had some grit under the wiper blade or someone has caught it whilst wearing a diamond ring.

I can be quite sure that they can. I watched next doors cat do it on my old mk3 golf when i was living with the parents. sliding down the windscreen and i had 2 lines down the windscreen.

Claws may not be tough enough but do the little beggars wash the grit off their feet before scrabbling up your shiney, slippery windscreen?

• 5 years later...

Resurrection of an old thread...

Noticed this evening a large scratch down the centre of my windscreen, probably about 10" long and deep enough to feel. Was not there earlier in the day, would have noticed. Had a good look everywhere trying to figure out what caused it when I noticed 2 sets of 3 marks at the top edge of the bonnet. Culprit identified - a cat. The marks on the bonnet seemed to come off with a vigorous rub, the glass will need to be drill polished to try to reduce the scratch. Even before this, I was thinking how prone the Skoda was to windscreen damage/marks!

As stated previously, cats claws are no match for glass, however gritty/muddy paws slipping across the glass can leave scratches.

If you know the cat is likely to be on your car give the glass a good drizzle of washing up liquid.

Although harmless the cat won't like it on its paws and will learn to desist.

Of course you will use more screenwash until it gets the message.

I spent about an hour on the windscreen with a drill and polish. Reduced the scratch but it's still very visible. In 32 years of driving I've never had a need to polish out glass scratches and yet twice in a year with the Skoda. Apart from the cellophane strength of the glass, the car's a good'un.

On 18/09/2017 at 07:41, Longship said:

In 32 years of driving I've never had a need to polish out glass scratches and yet twice in a year with the Skoda. 

I have had the same experience.....I think it's just modern windscreens that are rubbish. I have a Honda with 22,000 miles on it and I have a fairly bad scratch from grit trapped in the wiper blade. It'll probably polish out with a lot of effort, but how long before the next bad scratch?