'That Fabia forum'

xa0sx

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look into other mappers then. A tuned diesel does not need to smoke.

I agree but....

You got to draw a line somewhere between being able to spool the turbo early and eliminate smoke. To the levels seen on the road, smoke usually = extra power though. It's just unhygenic! If you want proper smoke, have a look at many diesel powered dragster vids on youtube.

Plus we've just come off summer, so expect the "smoke" issues to reduce in the next few months to be replaced by MPG woes as winter diesel is brought on tap. ;)

J.

On a completely serious note - if you do go 1.8t, wouldn't you need to do something with the suspension anyway due to the different weights etc?

Would be easy enough too look and see if different kits are used on the Polo GTi/petrol Cupras compared to the Polo GT TDi and TDi Cupras . .

Im intrigued what makes you say there nothing like each other? :o

Seriously? yeah the engines are the same, and many parts are able to be swapped, but looks, inside, outside, you cant say just get one that a 1.8T comes in as standard. If he/we/someone wanted a ibiza/polo they`d have one, since the 130 tdi is available in either. We have fabia`s because we like the cars.

On a completely serious note - if you do go 1.8t, wouldn't you need to do something with the suspension anyway due to the different weights etc?

Would be easy enough too look and see if different kits are used on the Polo GTi/petrol Cupras compared to the Polo GT TDi and TDi Cupras . .

Coilovers are the same from the 1.4 to the tdi`s when I looked

Seriously? yeah the engines are the same, and many parts are able to be swapped, but looks, inside, outside, you cant say just get one that a 1.8T comes in as standard. If he/we/someone wanted a ibiza/polo they`d have one, since the 130 tdi is available in either. We have fabia`s because we like the cars.

I think your missing the point, yes the exterior and the interior are diffrent. But the workings are very very similar in the same engine guise. Im highlighting the fact that seat and VW have gone to the effort of designing the car to accept the 1.8t in the first place, from that, build the car around the engine from the start. Rather than starting with a 1.9TDi car and then making it accept that engine. Would I rather have a car that has had the manufacture spend the time creating the cars in the first place, based on the same floor plan over a retro fitted unit, yes, yes I would. I admire luke for doing it, I really do. Yes we have fabia's because we like them. But the driving experince should dominate all regardless of what the car looks like. And as neither the polo, fabia or ibiza are bad looking cars inside and out. I dont see the problem. Just think with this engine variet in this type of car, it makes more logical sense to buy the counter parts and work on them. Luke has spent alot of time on his fabia, so maybe if he could afford it, keep the skoda and work on another car with that engine varient he wants.

I love my car very much so, I certainly plan on keeping it to.

Look into other mappers then. A tuned diesel does not need to smoke.

I know about 6 hybrid PD130's around my way all of which smoke just as much as mine. The mappers include: Unit 18, Jabba, AmD, R-Tech and Custom Code.

I'm not going to pay £300-500 for another map to find out it smokes just as much. Even my friends standard PD140 A3 smokes under load causing the car to get dirty quickly.

I know about 6 hybrid PD130's around my way all of which smoke just as much as mine. The mappers include: Unit 18, Jabba, AmD, R-Tech and Custom Code.

I'm not going to pay £300-500 for another map to find out it smokes just as much. Even my friends standard PD140 A3 smokes under load causing the car to get dirty quickly.

To get a car smoke free requires time, I know for a fact my car was mapped over a week, constnatly unloading, loading maps to make sure the balance was there.

I'm willing to bet that these guys loaded up a generic map, changed a few settings, done.

Go straight to a mapper instead, not through a company.

(Name drop) I'm going go karting with Mr Washbrook next week...........

My hybrid doesn't give out anything at all, which i'm very very happy about. Shark Map.

When it did smoke, it was down to a boost leak.

I agree with you though Luke, when mine was smoking, keeping the car clean was just impossible, and a pain.

Cant wait to see it running a 1.8T though :)

Guest BigJase88

Mines smoked like a biatch on its first map

Then with a washbrook custom map it gained 10bhp and it didnt smoke!

Strange that!