1.4 TSI a good choice?

TeeDeeEye

I'm looking to buy a nearly new Yeti and decided on 1.4TSI with SE Plus spec. I don't want diesel or need four wheel drive and think the 1.4 is the best compromise between performance and economy. Should I be discounting the 1.2 from my list? The 1.8 could be an option but they only seem to be available in SE or Elegance spec. I would go for the Elegance but don't want leather and there isn't enough toys on the SE for me.

Thanks

The 1.4 TSi is a very pleasant unit to live with. I ran a Yeti 1.4 for nearly 6 months and it was extremely well mannered and smooth. Almost diesel like pull from low revs. Round town, (and I'm not the most economical driver, as a lot of my use is stop start in town), around 30 and on a run I got 38/39 at the legal limit. I didn't have a lot of miles on my car ( under 5k), but it was improving a little as the miles went on. If you want a little more oomph from it, I believe Shark can do a remap on these now.

I only drove a 1.2 DSG on a test drive and that was surprisingly good.

If you get a chance, test drive them back to back if possible, that should clear up which works best for you. I was very pleased with my choice, good luck with yours. :thumbup:

I have not driven a 1.4 TSI, but both engines have had good reviews. Both put out 20NM and 20PS above the advertised figure.

Start stop central London traffic is about 30 mpg, on the go at 65 mph is about 50 mpg.

For not much over the 1.2, it definitely work considering the 1.4 TSI. The 1.4 also has a iron cylinder block whilst the alloys on the 1.2, which may suggest it would be better in the snow.

I did a test of both convinced the 1.2 would be no use whatsoever. I returned from the 1.2 test with a big grin and ordered one. as the dealer pointed out it is £800 more for the 1.4 and thhat's better in my pocket than Skoda UK's!

I have a Seat Altea XL 1.4 TSI -125 HP model (2008 model) and since this Monday a Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI. The cars weigh almost the same; the Yeti feels much more nippy and responsive; back to back driving it's very hard to notice the extra torque from the 1.4, but at the top end on the Autobahn (motorway) you no notice it when going uphill; probably partly due the XL's better Cd/aerodynamics? I did not test the 1.4 Yeti, but as the price difference in my case was nearly €4000 and 20 weeks waiting time, it was not an option! My Active Plus Edition was €16k with park sensor, aircon, heated seats etc. etc. and 'drive away' within 3 days for cash; the dealers here were given the option to pre-register the 'Edition Plus' model's from this summer by end Sept for a significant discount - in Freiburg they took 15 and sold all within 2 hours of posting on the internet!

Yeti 1.4TSI is much more responsive on highways, I drove them both on long trips.

In city I cannot tell the much differnce between 1.4 and 1.2

EDIT:

1.4 is quieter than 1.2

Edited by lok

I am sure the 1.4 is a fine choice, but don't rule out the 1.2, try and get a test drive and you might be pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't really considering the 1.2 at all, but when it came to the initial test drive it was all I could try. I ended up buying one!

Just to say how pleased I am with the Yeti 1.4tsi SE plus I bought yesterday. Love everything about the car, can't say too much about the 1.4 yet as she's still running in as only done 800miles. Quality is on par with the A4 i used to have, the only minus is the plastic on the doors is a bit cheap and nasty but hey who is going to buy an Audi if the quality was identical. As I never drove the 1.2 can't compare with 1.4 but very pleased with the refinement, power and torque. Fuel consumption is not great but will hopefully improve as the engine frees up. For the time being my Italian exotica will stay in the garage as I'm enjoying the Yeti so much :rofl:

just completed my first longish trip in the 1.2 - fully laden with 2 adults one child and loads of luggage. Across to Glasgow and down to Stranraer and on to Belfast. I have driven this many times in a series of 1.9 and 2.0 Octavias and the only difference I Noticed this time was that on a long hill overtaking into a (strong) headwind the speed would drop from 70 down to 60 and changing down to fifth was necessary to keep momentum. On the way back I was planning ahead and just built up some speed for the big hill in question. Overall though there wasn't really a massive difference. Other than the steep hills it managed just fine and was very comfortable to boot. The A77 has around a 30 mile stretch with average speed monitoring cameras so you can't go mad anyway, and the rest is twisty and up and down so the yeti actually drove better than the Octy on those parts. I would reckon a 1.4 would be the perfect solution if you do much driving in these sort of conditions but for me it's a trip I make a couple of times a year so the 1.2 is ideal given that most of my driving is local.

The real surprise was the economy: my L&K Octavia used to indicate an average consumption of 48 mpg on this trip, whereas the 1.2 Yeti showed 46 Mpg last night when we got back. I know maxidots can vary but still, I was most impressed by the comparison.

Just to say how pleased I am with the Yeti 1.4tsi SE plus I bought yesterday. Love everything about the car, can't say too much about the 1.4 yet as she's still running in as only done 800miles. Quality is on par with the A4 i used to have, the only minus is the plastic on the doors is a bit cheap and nasty but hey who is going to buy an Audi if the quality was identical. As I never drove the 1.2 can't compare with 1.4 but very pleased with the refinement, power and torque. Fuel consumption is not great but will hopefully improve as the engine frees up. For the time being my Italian exotica will stay in the garage as I'm enjoying the Yeti so much :rofl:

Enjoy the new ride! What I noticed is the fuel consumption changes for the better at around 2500 miles. Agree on the plastic, but the Tiguan also features the same stuff in the rear compartments, and it cost a lot more!

Edited by My_Yeti

In last week's issue of A.E. the VW Jetta featured in the 'Used Car' section. One of the "Buyer Beware" pointers stated, quote " Cracked pistons can affect the 1.4 TSi engine - and this is hard to check before buying" Never heard of that problem before.

I'd not heard of any problems, but does the Jetta not use the 160PS twincharged version as opposed to the tamer 122PS version in the Yeti, which would obviously place it under some more stress.

I'd not heard of any problems, but does the Jetta not use the 160PS twincharged version as opposed to the tamer 122PS version in the Yeti, which would obviously place it under some more stress.

I believe the recently replaced Jetta referred to in the article used TSi's in 138PS and 160PS . The current one utilises the 122PS and the 160 PS twincharger.