watermeth

s_matt

i am thinking about getting water meth fitted just after xmas, i was wondering a few things and am asking those with it or who have experienced it;

firstly how reliable is it, in regards to engine wear etc

secondly my car will be used as a daily driver so covering 35 miles a day so with that in mind how long does a full bottle last (planning to use the headlight washer bottle as storage)

thirdly can it be mapped so that it doesnt come in unless on full throttle and at certain parts of the rev range say 2.5-3k

lastly how easy/costly is it to get the actual methanol

thanks peoples :thumbup:

Seems to be very reliable. It helps the engine run cooler.

Not a problem for a daily driver, just make sure it's not on all the time. I only switch mine on when needed.

It's adjustable. With a Devils Own kit you can alter when it comes in and how much it sprays, depending on the kit.

For cost, I'd have a look on the Devils Own site here: http://www.methanol-injection.co.uk/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=rce2q6qtmkplk8189pu6200tg7

I also use the windscreen washer bottle as storage, but it's very difficult to say how long it lasts as it depends how much you inject, how you drive and if you have it on all the time.

thanks for the reply, is there a "on off switch" then?

I will do some reading up on their wensite and see what they offer, also what sort of power have people seen from this i was quoted around 30 bhp by browns....

Fro mthe cited company's FAQs:-

"1.How does alcohol/water injection work?

By injecting a fine spray of alcohol/water into the inlet air stream of the engine, the charge air is dramatically cooled and the effective octane of the fuel is raised. Both help to eliminate detonation — the enemy of any engine, especially those using today's lower octane fuel under boost."

Not only does this not increase power in a petrol engine, but diesel fuel doesn't even have an octane rating.

Also, they talk about eliminating detonation; this is only an issue in petrol engines.

You'd do about as much for a Furbie vRS by buying stuff from these guys.

Edited by KenONeill

Fro mthe cited company's FAQs:-

"1.How does alcohol/water injection work?

By injecting a fine spray of alcohol/water into the inlet air stream of the engine, the charge air is dramatically cooled and the effective octane of the fuel is raised. Both help to eliminate detonation — the enemy of any engine, especially those using today's lower octane fuel under boost."

Not only does this not increase power in a petrol engine, but diesel fuel doesn't even have an octane rating.

Also, they talk about eliminating detonation; this is only an issue in petrol engines.

You'd do about as much for a Furbie vRS by buying stuff from these guys.

Thank you for that link, it was hilarious.

I think Bossfox may indeed derive some EGT cooling benefits from the kit which will extend the life of his turbo because his injectors are probably at full duty. Anyone else whose engine is in a lower state of tune will not receive any benefits whatsoever other than of the imaginary/bragging variety.

In answer to your earlier question mine has the control box, but also Jabbasport fitted a kill switch on the power lead under the dash.

So I can switch the whole system off and drive the car without it. But then switch it on for quarter mile runs etc...

I can't see how a more aggressive map would help really.

Unless you have the supporting modifications to get more air in, all more fuel mapped in will do is make more smoke.

If anything the water/meth will actually take the space of a little air, so it'll smoke a little more anyway?

Guest BigJase88

I had aquamist with a custom 5l tank in the boot!

The meths cheap think i paid £25 for a 5 gallon drum!

Lasted about 6 months!

• 2 weeks later...

it cools the intake temps..adds little to performance...buy a gallon from model shop for 7 quid.

Certainly cools inlet temps!

Recently bought a modified Fabia VRS (hybrid turbo) but previous owner had put back on the SMIC!!! when the FMIC got damaged - temps were very high to say the least (just a bit of boost got inlet temps to 55-75 degrees and saw a peak of 93!)

So I had a WMI from my old car, fitted it yesterday and the temps are now down to safer limits (30-40 degrees with a peak of 50).

Still need to get the FMIC refitted ASAP though....