I will not be buying an Evoque

Sporky McGuffin

Lady Bertie McHobnobs, my best beloved, thinks this is hokey maths. She may have a point.

Of course it is hokey maths, you are trying to get a car that you REALLY want rather than one you can afford. Therefore you manipulate the figures like a Greek treasury minister to convince everyone, including yourself, that you can justify it. Blokes have been doing this for years and I doff my cap to anyone who can get away with it, especially if you manage to get that XF. Best of luck.

Of course it is hokey maths, you are trying to get a car that you REALLY want rather than one you can afford. Therefore you manipulate the figures like a Greek treasury minister to convince everyone, including yourself, that you can justify it. Blokes have been doing this for years and I doff my cap to anyone who can get away with it, especially if you manage to get that XF. Best of luck.

Yup, pretty much how I persuaded SWMBO that we should buy the Yeti :giggle:

Of course it is hokey maths, you are trying to get a car that you REALLY want rather than one you can afford.

Thing is, though, I can afford it - I get a car allowance from work, plus mileage, and together they've covered buying and running the Yeti, so essentially after 3 years I'll have a 3-year-old Yeti at no personal outlay. Assuming it's worth more than £10k (which seems an entirely reasonable assumption) then a £33k replacement car would still cost me the same amount per month. Then as long as the running costs are roughly similar I'll be no worse off.

Still, if the alternatives aren't worth the extra (in my head) then I'll order another Yeti and make out like a bandit on the car allowance. :D

Hmm. Not impressed with Mercedes so far - they have an online test drive request thing; filled that out on Tuesday and it's taken until today (with repeated hassling from me) for them to bother calling back, at which point they'd (a) forgotten what I'd asked to try, (B) didn't have it available, and © grilled me about how much I had to spend, when I was going to change car and most of my life story.

So I'm trying a C250CDI estate and a C350CDI coupe. Seems a faff when the area manager insisted they'd have the 350 estate.

And even though the nose now has lovely squinty eyes they gave it the longest most rediculously bright LED DRL lights known to man that goe the full length, and up, and over, and back again and look as if the stick about 3 inches PAST the car's nose to the sides............... Goodness.

+1

What on earth were they thinking!?

XF it is - though I shall still greatly enjoy the remaining 18 months with my lovely Yeti.

Compared to the Merc (which I know is a class down and £20k cheaper new) it was comfier, smoother (particularly gear changes), less "clunky" feeling, quicker and rode and handled better. That said the Merc wasn't bad at all; an electronic parking brake and a slicker gear change might well have swung it.

Now to start saving.

But to be fair the yeti looks like awfull next to the evoke, IMO evoke is one of the nicest looking 4x4s out there

It may look great, but what is it like to live with. I drove an Alfa Mito which looks great, but I couldn't live with it. I could not see out the sides or rear. Not sure the Evoke is any better.

But to be fair the yeti looks like awfull next to the evoke, IMO evoke is one of the nicest looking 4x4s out there

I was out with some colleagues in London the other day and we saw one, and we all said what a horrible looking car it was.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Furby 2 looks awful compared to the Furb 1, and Octavia Hatches aren't a patch on the estate but I know others on here will have entirely different views. Choice is good :thumbup:

I was out with some colleagues in London the other day and we saw one, and we all said what a horrible looking car it was.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Furby 2 looks awful compared to the Furb 1, and Octavia Hatches aren't a patch on the estate but I know others on here will have entirely different views. Choice is good :thumbup:

Very true. I totally agree the Furby 2 looks awful compared to Furby 1 (too narrow and too tall). Any estate looks better than a sedan/hatch (especially the hyena backed Superb hatch vs the Superb Estate - yuck).

BUT

The Evoque is gorgeous! Each to their own but that is one smashing looking car in my book. B)

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the evoke is a better car than the yeti, I have not driven either of the cars, just going on looks, which is not a great idea when spending 42k on a range rover!

42k... more like 46-48k by the time you add 4 doors, auto, mag suspension etc. The Yeti and the Evoque are not really comparable, a bit like comparing the Evoque and a Bentley GT as they are both 4x4 and ones twice the price of the other.

Fwiw I had an Evoque for a weekend test, SD4 Dynamic auto it was pretty loaded but £48,995 :o. Certainly looks the part but spending near £50k it should. No way what so ever is it worth that money, having spent this type of money on cars before I certainly wouldn't spend this amount on that car, my Yeti will cost me £22k, big difference.

I made it £40,130 for an SD4 auto with the options I'd like, £25,330 for a Yeti with the options I'd like - the two would be similar but not identical in terms of toys. To me the Evoque wouldn't be worth that extra - for £30k I'd be very tempted but I can understand why they're not that cheap.

Looks-wise I like both; the Yeti has a cheeky tonka-toy sort of look where the Evoque is a kind of good-ugly.

I've often, when car buying, looked at a few options that probably seem very different to other people. The Yeti is by far the cheapest of the options this time but is astounding value and in many ways every bit the equal of the alternatives.

Very true. I totally agree the Furby 2 looks awful compared to Furby 1 (too narrow and too tall). Any estate looks better than a sedan/hatch (especially the hyena backed Superb hatch vs the Superb Estate - yuck).

BUT

The Evoque is gorgeous! Each to their own but that is one smashing looking car in my book. B)

and let's not discuss the roomster. Actually I found one parked next to me the other day and in the vrs Blue it actually looked quite nice. I'll get my coat....

:giggle:

• 3 months later...

I think the Evoque looks amazing, if a bit try-hard. But they really are completely different cars. I don't know anyone that's had a "good" Mercedes experience in the last 15 years, and I have plenty of friends who still buy Merc after Merc thinking the next one will drive better and give them less trouble. I also know of far too many people with terrible experiences in the Land Rover / Jaguar camp. Sure, you might get lucky and get a good one...but I'll stick with VAG and maximise my chances.

Two friends with RR Sports just chopped them in, one for a new Touareg which he has had for about 7 months now and is totally in love with, and one for a new Q5 who is now a convert. My dad got a bargain on a nearly new ML500 and it's been nothing but trouble, he's about to sell up and (hopefully) buy a Touareg.

I used to be able to understand Brits buying badly made / engineered cars out of patriotism, but that really doesn't apply anymore.

My 2c. :)

Saw a filthy dirty Evoque on my way home from work. I thought it was a rusty, grotty old Alfa 146 before I looked closer and realised it was indeed an Evoque. The personalised plate was another give away.

At least the Yeti looks workmanlike when it's grubby!

Seen a few on the road myself; defiantly not keen, looks unbalanced from the rear and sat on from the side. Sort of thing you find on a futuristic movie set that's not really practical in the real world.

Either save your money and buy one Yeti or if you have to spend that sort of cash why not two Yeti's :giggle:

TP

• Like 1

I hired an XF in Germany a coupl eof years ago, and was very impressed with it. Gave it a thorough test on the Autobahn :-) I really wanted one, but sadly I don't get paid enough. One of my neighbours has an Evoque, and I think it looks hiedous. Much prefer the Yeti, which will hopefully be arriving soon.

I hired an XF in Germany a coupl eof years ago, and was very impressed with it. Gave it a thorough test on the Autobahn :-) I really wanted one, but sadly I don't get paid enough. One of my neighbours has an Evoque, and I think it looks hiedous. Much prefer the Yeti, which will hopefully be arriving soon.

Hi and welcome to the forum Chris and I'm sure you will enjoy the new Monster when she arrives.

Regards,

TP

I ordered a 5 door Evoque Prestige last April, but decided a few months later that I couldn't justify the outlay. Instead, I ordered a Yeti 140 4x4 Elegance (which I'm collecting next week) and am sure I'll be just as pleased with it. It will do almost everything that the Evoque can and is almost half the price. As we all know when buying a car - the more you pay, the more you lose!

• Like 1