Upgrade to DAB

As DAB has been out for so long, is there an easy way to upgrade my head unit in my Octy L&K 2010?

I know that there are units that I can charge through the cigarette lighter socket and push through FM, but I was wondering if there was just a simple plug in to the back of the unit.

spend a lot of time on the motorway, and jsut want a better signal.

thanks in advance.

Edited by wantaskoda

Is the DAB reception on a portable radio inside a car actually any better than good old FM received through a properly mounted car aerial? I suppose it is possible but it seems unlikely.

Get a cheap pocket dab radio and run it ob batteries and plug into the audio socket in arm rest. I used to do that, in fact I have my dab radio going if your interested.

+1 on that, although I'd maybe consider running some power there too.

Is the DAB reception on a portable radio inside a car actually any better than good old FM received through a properly mounted car aerial? I suppose it is possible but it seems unlikely.

It's not just about quality, it's the availability of channels. One of the things I miss in the car is Radio 4Extra (7 as was). comedy and drama on a long trip sounds like a good idea ;)

Plus, you can get external aerials for the "add-in" DABs.

Edited by RainbowFore

DAB is doomed - it just hasn't taken off and the BBC has wasted millions of our license fee pushing it.. Sound quality is awful compared to FM and the choice really isn't that good. It's OK for "talk radio" though.......

I'm an audiophile and the whole compressed audio thing - MP3 etc is a scam. What cracks me up is people who say "I can't tell the difference between MP3 and CD then you sit them down in front of a decent rig and play them both and they realise just how much they are actually missing.

I used to do the same trick with friends who reckoned CD was miles better than vinyl..............

Rant over :-)

I'd like integrated DAB in my car but there doesn't seem an easy way to get it and retain the features of the Bolero (Reversing sensors screen, climate control info, bluetooth phone etc)

I've ended up with a personal DAB connected to the 3.5mm socket in the centre console with ok results, it sounds ok and reception is fairly solid in most of Leicestershire. I need my daily fix of 6 Music and until its available on FM then DAB is my only option

I like DAB - I like the choice and am prepared to accept a slight loss in quality. Given the choice of listening to messrs Moyles and Mills in high quality doesn't really appeal compared with something like 6 Music.

As far as I can tell, unless you go fown the aftermarket route (either single DIN HUs that are currently available) or a double DIN with an add on module if required, VW's RCD510 or RCD310 DAB should go in. Unfortunately the illumination is different (red buttons IIRC) but I would hope the functions would work the same. I'd like to put one a 510 in mine so I can use DAB - you've have to add a DAB aerial but I have previously used an Autoleads splitter with good results.

thanks for all the responses.

the main channel I like is talk sport, and on my frequent trip from liverpool to london, it is annoying.

I have tried using my iphone to stream over bluetooth, but I am not sure how much data that uses.

DAB is doomed - it just hasn't taken off and the BBC has wasted millions of our license fee pushing it.. Sound quality is awful compared to FM and the choice really isn't that good. It's OK for "talk radio" though.......

I'm an audiophile and the whole compressed audio thing - MP3 etc is a scam. What cracks me up is people who say "I can't tell the difference between MP3 and CD then you sit them down in front of a decent rig and play them both and they realise just how much they are actually missing.

I used to do the same trick with friends who reckoned CD was miles better than vinyl..............

MP3 is about accessibility and convenience though and people care more about that than sound quality.

thanks for all the responses.

the main channel I like is talk sport, and on my frequent trip from liverpool to london, it is annoying.

I have tried using my iphone to stream over bluetooth, but I am not sure how much data that uses.

If you look through the iPhone menu, there's a usage-o-meter. You could reset that before starting out and check it on arrival. ;)

I suspect that you'll be keeping the iPhone on charge all the way as well.

I think, especially in a car, people just want to hear music, not listen to it. A car isn't the ideal environment for listening in the first place, and that's before you get to actually having a head-unit and speakers ;)

You could probably spend tens of thousands messing around with the car, head unit and speakers, and still not come close to what you'd get at home.

DAB will ultimately prevail, not through any marvelous technical issue, but so the government can sell-off the analogue spectrum (just like digital TV: sound is no better, picture is no better, lots more channels of rubbish packed into a smaller spectrum.) Radio will take longer as there is a higher ratio of radios to people as there are TVs to people.

Sadly, it all comes back down to money, and how much we'll be ripped off. :(

Does anyone know if the DAB we get here is compatable with the european stuff? I have vague recollections of reading that theirs was technically different. And according to my vague memory, superior.

Trying to get it where I live was a total washout, so the much touted advantage of more reliable service is as carp as the programming.

Does anyone know if the DAB we get here is compatable with the european stuff? I have vague recollections of reading that theirs was technically different. And according to my vague memory, superior.

Trying to get it where I live was a total washout, so the much touted advantage of more reliable service is as carp as the programming.

Sadly DAB isn't doomed.

Yes it's based on 80's technology and there are better alternatives out there, DAB+, DVB-T2-lite, LTE EMBMS and a whole host of others but nobody has the political stomach to tell consumers that their (expensive) DAB kit will be replaced.

Unfortunately with such a large legacy population of receivers, DAB is here to stay, the BBC is committed to increasing DAB coverage (by increasing transmitter power) so things should get a bit better.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/oct/18/bbc-rollout-dab-radio

Edited by Lou_O

Does anyone know if the DAB we get here is compatable with the european stuff?

German regulator has recently approved a technical trial/soft launch of DAB+ services.

In other digital radio news there is talk of trying DVB-T2 lite radio service in Denmark.

Most new receivers will be DAB and DAB+ so could be used on both systems.