So... Yeti 1,8TSI 4x4 DSG ordered

ents

I had confirmation from MTM that my Snowman should have about 158kw (thats 212 bhp). That is more than 40% over original 150 bhp! Not bad from standard. If i'd have 7-speed DSG I'd be worried a little if the gearbox handles it... 6-speed is OK because it takes much more NM-s and bhp-s. And I have dealers warranty for any problems. Could not be happier :rock:

Edited by ents

I had confirmation from MTM that my Snowman should have about 158kw (thats 212 bhp). That is more than 40% over original 150 bhp! Not bad from standard. If i'd have 7-speed DSG I'd be worried a little if the gearbox handles it... 6-speed is OK because it takes much more NM-s and bhp-s. And I have dealers warranty for any problems. Could not be happier :rock:

An interesting idea; but the ML270 auto had more torque than the manual transmission version as M-B reckoned it could take it.

Chris

An interesting idea; but the ML270 auto had more torque than the manual transmission version as M-B reckoned it could take it.

Chris

It is not idea but reality I'm afraid... dry-sump 7-speed DSG can take a lot of less power compaired with "older" wet-sump 6-speed. And this is a main reason 6-speed is used in bigger petrol and also in most diesel engines. In Skoda's case at least.

PS. I actually like 6-speed a lot more. It kind of gives more "feel" than 7-speed.

Edited by ents

It is not idea but reality I'm afraid... dry-sump 7-speed DSG can take a lot of less power compaired with "older" wet-sump 6-speed. And this is a main reason 6-speed is used in bigger petrol and also in most diesel engines. In Skoda's case at least.

PS. I actually like 6-speed a lot more. It kind of gives more "feel" than 7-speed.

Thanks, I understand. M-B obviously had a different gearbox comparison.

Chris

M-B use torque converters as far as I'm aware.. Skoda now uses the DSG from VAG.

I think the 7 speed twin dry clutch is rated to about 250/280Nm & the 6 speed twin wet clutch is rated to about 440Nm.

The manual gearbox possibly has an even higher rating. Can't speak for M-B.

The manual gearbox possibly has an even higher rating.

Yesterday I tried to find out exactly how much torque is that gearbox (02Q if I am not mistaken) designed to digest. Looks like it is one of the VAG's best kept secrets :rofl: