Diagnostics - and what they found with my car :(

- Yours is a Mk I.

- The D2S bulbs are right, however do buy bulbs with a well known good brand. There is a lot of bad quality out there. Same goes for the other items. The number is the color temperature. 4300K is the original bulb temperature. Higher means more blue and lower means more yellow.

Colorchartbulbs.jpg

- Forget these ballasts. They are for aftermarket and does not fit without modifications. Go for the original ones. So wait and see if it can be solved by a new pair of bulbs first.

- If MAF has correct part number, its does not matter whether it is branded VW, AUDI, SEAT or SKODA

- For cuise control, go and buy the original one. Its the best plastic quality and it is something you have to deal with at every turn.

You're so full of 5hite.

Everyone knows cheap MAF's are rubbish Chinese copies and will break within a month. Also, the garage can't possible charge an hour labour for fitting a MAF – it's 10 minutes tops and should be done as a courtesy after forking out £200 for it.

All the parts the OP is looking for should be bought original, but as has already been said on here, I wouldn't trust this garage if they want to charge £120 to fit a MAF.

To the OP – do a through check for the Water Ingress problem. If your convenience module and the wiring loom are fecked then that could cause all of the above problems.

Did you see a read out of the codes?

hi guys ok today i replaced the MAF but guess i wont know if its fixed until i get the engine management light turned off and thats another trip and £48.00 in the dealers

i agree about the price they where going to charge me to do the work i had it changed within 20 minutes with help from you guys so saved myself around £250 on this alone

INC buying the new MAF of ebay. Is there any other way of getting the light out without going to the dealers ?

I also changed the 2 old xenon headlight blubs but still getting the light error on the dash. and also one lightig up and the one off and when i turn the lights off an on again

it does the same only the other way round :(

when i was changing the headlights there was a square box that fitted onto the BULB think this is the igniter

hella_igniter_5DD008319-10_800.jpg

could it be this that is faulty or would it be more likely the ballast ?

hi guys ok today i replaced the MAF but guess i wont know if its fixed until i get the engine management light turned off and thats another trip and £48.00 in the dealers

i agree about the price they where going to charge me to do the work i had it changed within 20 minutes with help from you guys so saved myself around £250 on this alone

INC buying the new MAF of ebay. Is there any other way of getting the light out without going to the dealers ?

I also changed the 2 old xenon headlight blubs but still getting the light error on the dash. and also one lightig up and the one off and when i turn the lights off an on again

it does the same only the other way round :(

when i was changing the headlights there was a square box that fitted onto the BULB think this is the igniter

hella_igniter_5DD008319-10_800.jpg

could it be this that is faulty or would it be more likely the ballast ?

Instead of paying £48 to the dealer to switch the light off why not try one of these? Haven't tried them myself so don't know if anyone else has any feedback about them?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxiscan-Diagnostic-Scanner-Reader-MS300/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_0

Tom

Now Mr Knowledge, do tell me what the EML on a 1.9 PD with the car running fine means?

I'd also like to know the answer to this question seeing as i will now be keeping my Superb throughout the winter.

ok guys back to my 1st post here and this part

""the engine management light which came on but car run fine error on dash was ( emmisions workshop ) was due to a MAF SENSOR GIVES SMALLS SINGAL TO ECU ***** To repair replace MAF SENSOR ** PART NUMBER 074906461B Part Price £231.19 inc fitting £351.83 ""

I replaced the MAF !BYO927wCGk~$(KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZBKgcO0367Q~~_12.JPG

BUT THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT WOULDNT GO OFF

SO I BOUGHT ONE OF THESE 511wAoE-OzL._SS500_.jpg Maxiscan Diagnostic Scanner CAN Code Reader OBD2 EOBD OBDII MS300

AND TURNED OF THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT MYSELF BUT AFTER 5 MINUTES IT HAS COME BACK ON AGAIN WITH THE SAME FAULT CODE 00102

SO EITHER I REPLACED THE MAF FOR NO REASON OR I HAVE SOMETHING ELSE THATS FAULTY ?

ok guys back to my 1st post here and this part

""the engine management light which came on but car run fine error on dash was ( emmisions workshop ) was due to a MAF SENSOR GIVES SMALLS SINGAL TO ECU ***** To repair replace MAF SENSOR ** PART NUMBER 074906461B Part Price £231.19 inc fitting £351.83 ""

I replaced the MAF !BYO927wCGk~$(KGrHgoH-C0EjlLlu15ZBKgcO0367Q~~_12.JPG

BUT THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT WOULDNT GO OFF

SO I BOUGHT ONE OF THESE 511wAoE-OzL._SS500_.jpg Maxiscan Diagnostic Scanner CAN Code Reader OBD2 EOBD OBDII MS300

AND TURNED OF THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT MYSELF BUT AFTER 5 MINUTES IT HAS COME BACK ON AGAIN WITH THE SAME FAULT CODE 00102

SO EITHER I REPLACED THE MAF FOR NO REASON OR I HAVE SOMETHING ELSE THATS FAULTY ?

What does the disc that came with it say the code is?

Cheers

Tom

The Book says this ******* P0102 MAF or VAF A Circuit Low Input

The CD says this ******* Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit - Low input or Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input

Did you buy a decent maf sensor, a friend from work got one for local parts place and after a few weeks car was cutting out. Got one from euro car parts and it was fine, other than that I'm not sure.

Tom

left my car into the belfast dealership today to finaly find out whats wrong with my car as all these small faults are starting to do my head in

they put it on there diagnostic machine and this is what they found

the engine management light which came on but car run fine error on dash was ( emmisions workshop ) was due to a MAF SENSOR GIVES SMALLS SINGAL TO ECU ***** To repair replace MAF SENSOR ** PART NUMBER 074906461B Part Price £231.19 inc fitting £351.83 OUCH

The Passenger door lock that pops up when locked from the inside button ** needs new door lock ** this could also be why my interior light works intermitedley when the passenger door opens * PART NUMBER 3B28370152 part price £99.68 inc fitting £231.22 ** double OUCH

Cruise Control works intermitedley - Needs Cruise Control Switch* PART NUMBER BEA500002 Part Price £52.50 inc fitting £174.60 now its getting expensive

headlights Xeon working on and off when they want- well they tell me they where working fine when i left it in and they couldnt get them to work one off and one on and back again but they suspect it to be a Faulty Ballast to repair ** Replace Ballast PART NUMBER 3U0941641 part price £123.55 inc fitting £259.86 ( havent a clue what a ballast is lol ) woulod i not need TWO of these as both headlights do same fault ?

TOTAL FOR PARTS £608.30 INC LABOUR £1017.51

now the diagnostics didnt pick up that my parking sensors where not working and i forgot to ask about these

or that my car radio signal strength is crap and that i think i need a new aerial or new wire from the radio to the aerial needs replaced

all seems very expensive but anyone know where i could get cheaper parts ?

Here is how i am getting on with all the above faults

I havent been back to Skoda to get any work done and have either done it myself or got a friend to help me to try and save as much money as possible

1) ""the engine management light which came on but car run fine error on dash was ( emmisions workshop ) was due to a MAF SENSOR GIVES SMALLS SINGAL TO ECU ***** To repair replace MAF SENSOR ** PART NUMBER 074906461B Part Price £231.19 inc fitting £351.83 OUCH""

I bought a MAF sensor from ebay for £30.00 inc delivery and fitted it myself took me around 30 mins and saved a fortune all i did was search ebay for MAF 074906461B and couldnt belive how many different cars use the same sensor and this fitted and worked ( at first i thought it didnt work but after rechecking my work i handnt the connecter plug pushed in :( I then bought a little diagnostics reader from amazon for £18.00 and switched off the engine management light saving another £48 for letting skoda do this BUT i must say a BIG thanks to all the guys on here who helped me sort this problem here alone i saved[/ £283.83

2)Door lock still to be fixed

3) ""Cruise Control works intermitedley - Needs Cruise Control Switch* PART NUMBER BEA500002 Part Price £52.50 inc fitting £174.60 now its getting expensive""

I bought a indicator arm / Cruise control arm and had it fitted by a friend BUT still my cruise control still dosent work :( i have also had the brake switch replaced and still no cruise control so if anyone has anymore idea's fire away thanks spent so far £55.00 on this for it not to work :(

4)""headlights Xeon working on and off when they want- well they tell me they where working fine when i left it in and they couldnt get them to work one off and one on and back again but they suspect it to be a Faulty Ballast to repair ** Replace Ballast PART NUMBER 3U0941641 part price £123.55 inc fitting £259.86 ( havent a clue what a ballast is lol ) would i not need TWO of these as both headlights do same fault ?""

I bought a set of HID bulbs on ebay for £15.00 delivered and fitted them and so far so good my lights havent come off and on since BUT i still get a faulty lights warning on my dash ? not sure how i am going to fix this unless i replace both ignitors and or both Ballasts both are very expensive. Spent £30 here but fault NEARLY fixed

so all in all i am getting there although some of the faults are fixed but not completly fixed so if you have any more idea's that would be great but so far these fourms have saved me LOTS of money so thanks :)

Edited by Belfastlad

Just smiling here ...

I guess eventually you will do the right thing, instead of listing to all these stupid suggestions of water ingress and other pocket knowledge.

I am not going to join this thread as far as its subject matter is concerned. A message to our friend in Denmark.

Our B5.5s here are right hand drive - those on mainland Europe left hand drive.

Due to the circumstances of my job, I see a fair few VW branded LHD B5.5s. I don't immediately recall ever seeing a wet one. Remember the UK market has its differences - and the total number of RHD B5.5s made is so small that VAG could not be bothered to modify them - sod the customer.

rotodiesel.

I am not going to join this thread as far as its subject matter is concerned. A message to our friend in Denmark.

Our B5.5s here are right hand drive - those on mainland Europe left hand drive.

Due to the circumstances of my job, I see a fair few VW branded LHD B5.5s. I don't immediately recall ever seeing a wet one. Remember the UK market has its differences - and the total number of RHD B5.5s made is so small that VAG could not be bothered to modify them - sod the customer.

rotodiesel.

Hi, point taken.

Anyhow both the VW Passat B5 and the Super 3U suffers of the water ingress problem: I guess the problem it is the same for LHD and RHD.

But it is for sure not the problem in this case, nevertheless people are pushing the owner in that direction ..

Proper diagnostics is the only way forward.