Towing a folding camper with a Yeti Greenline

Norbert_Up_Norf

We have a Yeti 1.6 Greenline Diesel, and are considering the purchase of a second-hand folding camper (halfway between a caravan and a trailer tent).

Given I'm a complete novice with towing, and the ins and out of it, I wondered if anyone could help with a few questions?

1) I've done a bit of reading and have entered the murky world of towing weights, and braked v unbraked trailers. Anyone with experience know whether folding campers are typically braked or unbraked (or does it depend completely on the model)?

2) On a more fundamental level (this should probably be Q1!), will I actually be able to physically tow a folding camper with a greenline? They seem to vary between about 600 and 800kg in weight. 2 questions here really - can I legally tow one, and can I practically tow one?

3) Is there anything I should be aware of that anyone can contribute from their own experience?

FYI, the car is a lease car, and we didn't really consider the idea of towing something when we bought it, but the rising prices of holidays with 2 young biys are necessitating a different approach to future summers!

Grateful for any help!

We have a Yeti 1.6 Greenline Diesel, and are considering the purchase of a second-hand folding camper (halfway between a caravan and a trailer tent).

Given I'm a complete novice with towing, and the ins and out of it, I wondered if anyone could help with a few questions?

1) I've done a bit of reading and have entered the murky world of towing weights, and braked v unbraked trailers. Anyone with experience know whether folding campers are typically braked or unbraked (or does it depend completely on the model)?

2) On a more fundamental level (this should probably be Q1!), will I actually be able to physically tow a folding camper with a greenline? They seem to vary between about 600 and 800kg in weight. 2 questions here really - can I legally tow one, and can I practically tow one?

3) Is there anything I should be aware of that anyone can contribute from their own experience?

FYI, the car is a lease car, and we didn't really consider the idea of towing something when we bought it, but the rising prices of holidays with 2 young biys are necessitating a different approach to future summers!

Grateful for any help!

Norbert, I see no reason why you can't tow a folding camper, I have found some info on Whatcar website about your Greenline and what it can and can't tow with regards to weight.

As for the 85% rule, I find this misleading as it was set when cars had drum brakes and cross ply tyres, I happily tow a 1500 kg caravan with our Yeti, before that an A4 and before that a Passat. I find the Yeti the most sure footed of them all.

There may however be one problem, when I was looking to replace the Audi I looked at Passat Blue Motion, BMW 320 E and so on, all in the eco category, BMW and VW refused to fit a tow bar to these cars! They said it is because of tax implications and CO2 emmissions, A call to Skoda will sort this issue anyway.

So make a call, get your tow bar fitted and enjoy.

I have also ordered a Greenline with towbar leased through my work and plan to tow a caravan for the first time next year. I have been told to expect delivery in January but not holding my breath! Fingers crossed I will have it by Easter then the fun begins! :rofl::rofl:

It is only at order time that manufacturers won't allow certain options or combinations as it will push the car over the CO2 limit - eg a sunroof and sparewheel on some borderline Yetis that just fall within a certain tax bracket. But once you've collected it you can chip the engine and make it emit 900g/CO2 a km and it will still only be classed as whatever you bought it as! :giggle: (Hence it is always good to buy a lower spec diesel like a 110 for example and chip it to be a 170 or more as your tax will always be set to 110 levels.)

So there won't be any problems fitting a spare or towbar to your Yeti - or a floor made of lead or solid gold wheels - it is now your car to modify as you like. And since the Yeti's weight is what it is you will definitely be able to tow with it.

It is only at order time that manufacturers won't allow certain options or combinations as it will push the car over the CO2 limit - eg a sunroof and sparewheel on some borderline Yetis that just fall within a certain tax bracket. But once you've collected it you can chip the engine and make it emit 900g/CO2 a km and it will still only be classed as whatever you bought it as! :giggle: (Hence it is always good to buy a lower spec diesel like a 110 for example and chip it to be a 170 or more as your tax will always be set to 110 levels.)

So there won't be any problems fitting a spare or towbar to your Yeti - or a floor made of lead or solid gold wheels - it is now your car to modify as you like. And since the Yeti's weight is what it is you will definitely be able to tow with it.

CO2 will be higher when you need an MOT I would imagine it may fail on this, but you will have three years before that will be a worry

CO2 will be higher when you need an MOT I would imagine it may fail on this, but you will have three years before that will be a worry

The MOT CO2 limits are not the same as the VED limits, so it makes no difference.

The Yeti Greenline did pretty well in the Practical Caravan/Camping and Caravanning Club towcar of the year competition this year ... so I wouldn't anticipate any difficulties towing a folding camper.

Remember too that the diesel emissions are the smoke outputs rather than CO2. If the trailer has a plated weight in excess of 750kg then it will have to be fitted with trailer brakes, usually of the overrun type. Under 750kg then it doesn't have to be. You should have no problem towing a folding camperwith a Yeti. I used to tow a 900 kg caravan, now a 1300kg one with my Octavia and find it has no problem at all coping with it.

What I would recommend is that as you are, by confession, a complete novice to towing I would enrole on a caravan club towing course as it will not only help you get confidence in your towing and reversing ability, but may help you get a discount on insurance.

Ian.

Thanks all - that's been really helpful, and reassuring!

Countryboy, that snippet about the brakes is interesting, but because I'm a novice it prompts another couple of question...

On a braked trailer, what exactly are the brakes and how are they engaged?

Are those rules about the 750kg weight recent? We were looking at an old Conway Cardinal (1989) which was 800kg I think, and there was no mention of it being braked.

Realise these are off-topic, so apologies in advance!

Eccles.......pedant!! :giggle:

Norbert,

(simplistically) trailer brakes are generally drum brakes that are activated by the trailer pushing forward on a bar that is part of the towing cup, thereby making the brakes come on. A bit like the hand brake on a car.

They also have a special cam that allows them to be "come-off" when being pushed backwards by the car.

The 750kg unbraked trailer rule has been around for a while, but I have seen older trailers of slightly heavier weights without. Personally I prefer braked trailers.

Note that the Yeti has specific weights for unbraked trailers, depending on engine and what brakes are fitted, so you need to check.

CO2 (Carbon dioxide) is not part of an MOT at all is it? Just CO (Carbon monoxide).

The MOT CO2 test is a very crude test with a cheap gas analyser. The official CO2 g/km test requires climate controlled labs, expensive (£100K's) exhaust collection systems, trained drivers for the profile and hours to let the vehicles acclimatise before testing. So not something your average spanner monkey MOT test centre can replicate!

Llanigraham - great stuff - thanks.

Pretty sure I saw somewhere the unbraked towing weight for the greenline is 600kg which should cover most campers comfortably - however given we're potentially looking at an older camper, and possibly quite a heavy, hardtopped one (e.g. a late 80's conway cardinal), I'll be checking whether it's braked or not!

Thanks all!

I doubt that you will find a trailer tent or folding camper with a max weight of less than 600kg. Remember that it isn't the unladen weight you are looking at but it's MAXIMUM weight. (Now known as it's MAM, maximum allowed mass)

Norbert, I would type conway cardinal folding camper into your internet search engine, I did and some interesting info was found including an owners club. I also found some old reproduced brochures with pictures that show the chassis with brakes installed. It also said that a Cardinal camper was 660kg exworks with a payload of 190kg making a maximum mass of 850kg which takes you into the braked trailer territory.

Ian

Try this:-

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/conway1/1988fc.pdf

Edited by countryboy

I towed a Conway Crusader camper (800kg) with extra stuff stored inside the camper.

No problems, I did however change the tow hitch to an Alko AKS1300 which has friction pads, this helped a slight shake at speed.

My engine is a 140 tdi.

Jeez, I've now just discovered the costs to get a frickin towbar fitted and read all the threads about them!

Back to the budget calculator methinks!

Ah...... Seeing this thread I had presumed you had already done that bit. :giggle: A Yeti towbar is not for the feint hearted. A Porsche Cayenne electrically disappearing towbar apparently costs £825 factory fitted. My manually detachable Yeti towbar (fitted at a dealer) was £834.... Hmmm.

Skoda have just quoted me north of £800! I've also had a quote from Towbar Express for £244, but that's with 'universal' rather than dedicated wiring.

Given it's a lease car, I think I'd better call them and see what I'm ALLOWED to do!!!

Do not use universal wiring on a Yeti!!!

That is the sort they scotchblock into the system, which then doesn't work! The only way to go is a dedicated wiring harness. I would suggest talking to a good independent fitter, who is a member of the relevant tade organisation, but you are still going to have to shell out a few quid more!

Skoda have just quoted me north of £800! I've also had a quote from Towbar Express for £244, but that's with 'universal' rather than dedicated wiring.

Given it's a lease car, I think I'd better call them and see what I'm ALLOWED to do!!!

Mine is also a lease car and the usual routine is, if you fit a towbar it stays on the vehicle upon return so as no holes or loose wires are left behind, you should be fine.

I would listen to Llanigraham though he is correct on the scotch lock wiring, not good on new cars.