Paint problems on a 2007 Fabia VRS SE

whyaskoda

I have a low mileage well cared for 2007 Fabia VRS in blue. The laquer on the rear spoiler has all bubbled up and is starting to come off.My local dealer isn't very interested as the car was bought from another dealer. Skoda are not interested because the car is 4 years old. I have had a lot of cars over the years but never seen such bad problem on a 4 year old car, it's like the bad old days of the 70s (Ford Silver Fox). I also own a Honda and get great service from both Honda and Hendy Honda in Winchester. Three questions, are Skoda generally not interested and trading on their VAG image,have I found where Skoda cut corners to get the price down and are Skoda dealers not interested in supporting their owners. At the moment I not impressed at the though of a £350 bill to paint a spoiler on a 4 year old car.Has anyone else had similar problems? Looks like we will end up with two Hondas.

Are you the original owner?

In general I have found Skoda to be the best of the VAG mainstream brands at supporting their customers ie. The person who bought the car from new. They're certainly not trading on VAG's reputation for customer service.

I have this issue with my SE and I've owned it since new. When i first noticed the "frosting" effect on the paint (even before it bubbled) I took it to the local dealer (Claybank). Now I admit I didn't buy the car from them, the dealer I got it off has since gone bump (horners).

Unfortunately they blew me off with the excuse because the paint has failed from the outside in it's not covered under the body protection and as it's 4 years old it's not covered by the paint warranty (which I was told is only 2 years and not the 3 years you get with other parts).

TBH it's a joke how skoda can get away with this. Alot of people have complained about the paint failing on the rear spoiler but nothing has been done. A few lucky people have had the issue resolved by a friendly dealer but it seems these were a few.

• 2 weeks later...

2008 Octavia vrs second hand from Carrs dealership south west,I was told that the spoiler is not covered on paint waranty, but that due to the amount of people reporting this same problem Skoda are looking into it,( cue to hold a deep breath ) but they may in my case repair it as good will,will keep you up to date.

• 3 weeks later...

iv got se as well just had the spoiler done, i tried always to get skoda to take notice but got the same answer over nd over paint work is covered by 5yr warranty excluding the spolier as its an additional part!!!! BUT i screamed am i not correct in sayin that the spoiler is a standard factory fitted part of the vrs model WHICH should mean that its also covered by 5yr warranty???

dont no where is wanting to charge £350 to do it for you but u need to give them a shake like, its just cost me £300 for full service bushes replaced and spoiler done car was away 2days (nearly killed me not having it) but i thought that was fairly good price!! xxx

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have also now become a victim of the dreaded peeling paint on the rear spoiler on My 2007 Fabia vRS SE.

My local dealer normally brilliant are taking the 3 year only warranty on the paintwork tack.

Can I ask for assistance from colleagues on the forum to give me feedback as to how many have been effected as I am going straight to Head Office customer services next week and need some ammunition to back up my complaint. If you've had a similar problem can you let me know.

Is it a particular problem with the Special Editions ??

Thanks for any help.

I have worked at various different main dealers and I've found there stance on defects after the warranty ran out is they have goodwill matrix's but paint and body doesn't really come into it. You have to be loyal to the brand as in full main dealer history, first owner, and depends on age and mileage. Obviously after a certain mileage and age they won't help at all and the older the car the less contribution but there is no given right or law that says they have to help you out. Once you warranty is over its a bonus if they help but if the dont it's just a case of tuff look, try another dealer. Where I work now (Toyota) if Toyota GB contribute 35% percent parts price the dealer has to sell the parts at cost instead of making a profit and lower the labour rate down to a cheaper rate and then give a equal percentage off the labour. Basically the dealer makes peanuts for helping you out so they avoid it! Hope this helps, try another dealer but don't hold your breath

You don't need to claim under the warranty, just use SOGA, it covers for 6 years. But you can only use it against the supplying dealer. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

If the manufacturer are only willing to warrant their paintwork for 3 years, I can't see consumer rights legislation doubling that. It would also be difficult and cost money to prove that the paint is exactly as it left the factory and it has been cared for in line with the manufacturers instructions and with the recommended products.