shortlisted roomster

999pr

hi all - be glad of owners feedback ,

we currently have as our company car a 57 ford focus 1.6 diesel c max - has been superb and am only changing it because it is 4 years old and forced to change by the lease company,

have shortlisted the current roomster se diesel 105 -love it's quirky looks - space - mpv flexibility and have previously had and been impressed by a skoda (octavia) as company car.

Be be very interested in other uses feedback on realworld economy from this model please.

our c max is - according to the govt test figures - reported as combined economy of 58.9 mpg and in real world we have found that we get average mpg in the mid 50's .

also on our short list (and currently in our driveway courtesy of Ford) is a focus 1.6d 115ps estate - which we have got for a week to try - according to same govt test combined economy is 67.3 but over test use so far (same drivers/useage etc as c max) we are getting low 50's - not a bad figure but much further from govt combined figures than the c max delivers.

according to skoda the govt combined figure for the roomster 105 is 60.1 but unfortunately (rather frustrating) skoda uk fleet department have told us they have NO roomsters available for fleet test drive in the UK - they pointed us to local dealers and thanks to very helpful approach from new skoda dealership in chichester - we were able to go for a brief accompanied testdrive in an unregistered 105 diesel - top marks to the dealer for arranging it and we liked the car but not enough of a test to get any real idea as to what fuel economy we might actually get out of one.

is critical to us as on direct comparison of lease costs v company car tax liability v theoretical cost of fuel (based on our mileage and using quoted combined figures) the roomster will be significantly more expensive to have than the new focus (or current c max) but - if real world economy from roomster is nearer to the combined figure (as our current cmax is) than the far removed from real world figure we are getting from new focus compared to govt figure -could shift the balance (cost wise) towards the roomster

biggest frustration for us is that skoda uk not able to arrange a decent test drive (and I stress no criticism of local dealers) and given this is a 4 year decision the much more helpful fleet test drive approach offered to the lease company my employers use by the other manufacturers we are considering (citreon and ford) puts the roomster at a disadvantage,

hence the question as to real world mpg owners achieving from 1.6 105 d versions please

PS I have looked at honest john site and mpg figures there

Ok... having just changed mine for a Golf, I would make the following points, technically the Roomie if a class below the C-max, so I'd check its got enough space for you... Having said that if you are also looking at the Focus estate you should be ok... I test drove all the small medium estates (Golf/Focus size) and found the best were the Golf and the C'eed, the C'eed being the biggest inside, the Focus was, to my mind, far too blingy inside and didn't drive as well as the other two...

Re MPG, I think its fair to say that the 1.6TDi needs to be run in before giving its best so a test drive of an unregistered car wouldn't tell you a great deal... The main problem with the Roomie is its bulk and at high speed on motorways it suffers, on the autobahns at 80mph I was only getting 42mpg... Hence I've changed for a\ lower car... If most of its work is local roads, A & B roads and town work then its fine... I get around 55mpg from the 1.9TDi on a 20 mile commute of A,B and built up roads...

One thing to add, compared with the conventional estates its much more flexible, that part was the most difficult when changing...

For real world figures, have a look here:

http://www.spritmoni...105&powerunit=2

Just convert km/l to mpg and you are done.

If roomsterTDI CR 105 fuel economy meets your standards, I would also consider the 90hp model, it has enough torque for most uses and you should be able to save something in price and taxes.

Also consider that if flexibility of use and space are main concerns, there is no comparison between a Roomster and traditional estate cars, unless you buy longer and bigger cars. I do not think you can find more in 4.21 mt, today emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Edited by Lorenzo

I have a 1.6 Tdi and have covered nearly 4500 miles now so I can give you a good idea about economy. Round town and local work taking it easy will return around 55 to 60 mpg, heavy traffic sees that drop to low 50s or even 50 mpg. Driving on motorways, if you keep below 70mph then an easy 60mpg is possible but take it up to 80mph and it will drop to around 50mpg or a little more.

I seem to be averaging 53mpg overall, not near the claimed 60mpg from Skoda but I can get those figures but you have to be very steady!

Not sure if it will have enough power for your needs but you could also look at the Greenline spec which is quoted at 67.3mpg combined with only 109g/km CO2 emissions.

In my experience of any diesel it takes at least 10,000 miles to loosen up and doesn't really come into its stride until 20,000 miles are on the clock.

I have a 1.6 Tdi and have covered nearly 4500 miles now so I can give you a good idea about economy. Round town and local work taking it easy will return around 55 to 60 mpg, heavy traffic sees that drop to low 50s or even 50 mpg. Driving on motorways, if you keep below 70mph then an easy 60mpg is possible but take it up to 80mph and it will drop to around 50mpg or a little more.

I seem to be averaging 53mpg overall, not near the claimed 60mpg from Skoda but I can get those figures but you have to be very steady!

I have the same car as lemonvrs and my figures are very similar. It seems to be much better when it settles down on longer trips.

My car has reached 16000 miles and just over a year old and it has been excellent. A recent family trip with luggage and 4 in the car returned over 650 miles from the full tank for that week away. There was a mixture of town/motorway driving and even the slow safari drive around Longleat! I have noticed the mpg is way better around 60mph compared to 70mph.