Vagcom

Have you looked on the VCDS Owners Map?

• Aberdeen = AHarrold= Micro CAN - Last Active:Today, 20:04
  • Aberdeenshire = w.t100 = VCDS - Last Active:Yesterday, 23:55
  • Inverness = orhpos= OBD-II protocols, including CAN - Last Active:Sep 28 2011 20:35 (not sure if his will do your car though?)

There are 3 to be going on with, granted the two in Aberdeen are not exactly local to you but the one downside from living in such a remote part of the country is having to travel further for services.

It really is a sign of the times as cars can be built to a same basic spec and certain items enabled depending on the trim level you choose or the country you live in.

Hmm, wherebouts in Kent are you Pagey? ;)

I am in a wee little village just outside Dover....

@ OP, below is the current list of VCDS owners from the mkvgolfgti forum, I would recommend joining it. :thumbup:

Aberdeenshire -- Ess_Three -- Hex+CAN

Berkshire ( Reading ) -- DomT -- Hex+CAN & REVO Select Plus

Brackley & Tamworth -- dnLcal -- Hex+CAN

Bath/West Wilts -- simonp -- MicroCAN

Birmingham -- stealthwolf -- Hex+CAN

Bridgend S.Wales -- Smithen999 -- REVO Select Plus

Bucks (High Wycombe) -- BigAl -- Hex+CAN

Bury St Edmunds -- KRL -- MicroCAN

Croydon, South London -- Mo -- HEX+CAN

Derby -- neg -- Hex+CAN & REVO Select Plus

Doncaster S.Yorks -- Tfsi_Mike -- Hex+CAN

Dundee -- Golfman -- Hex+CAN

Dunfermline -- freegeek -- Hex+CAN

East Anglia (Norfolk, North Suffolk) -- Teutonic_Tamer -- Hex+CAN & Revo Select Plus

East Anglia -- vwrascal -- Hex+CAN

East Sussex/Surrey/Kent -- NHN -- Hex+CAN

East Yorkshire -- LouCyffer -- MicroCAN

Ennis/Galway, Ireland -- kevinm -- Hex+CAN

Essex & East London -- N13KKF -- Hex+CAN

Guernsey -- Veedub18 -- MicroCAN

Halifax -- MAT ED30 -- Hex+CAN & REVO Select Plus

Hampshire -- vRStu -- Hex+CAN, REVO Select Plus & RNS510 Manager (PIN recovery, ViM etc)

Hampshire (North East) -- Hedge -- Hex+CAN

Hull -- j8ekt -- MicroCAN

Ipswich -- Illyun -- MicroCAN & REVO Select Plus

Ireland (East Coast - between Dublin and Belfast) -- marcquinlivan -- Hex+CAN

Kent (Folkestone) -- Gizmo68 -- Hex+CAN

Leeds -- Mortygttdi -- Hex+CAN

Leeds & West Yorks -- NC35 -- MicroCAN

Leeds & West Yorks -- Nasir -- Hex+CAN

Lincoln -- NotNormal -- Hex+CAN

London(NW) -- richwig83 -- Hex+CAN

London/Paderborn(Germany) -- Dougle_Turbo -- Micro Can

Medway,Kent -- Apollo13 -- Hex+CAN

Norfolk / Suffolk -- Eddie-NL -- Hex+CAN

Northamptonshire -- SteveP -- Hex+CAN & REVO Select Plus

North East -- PDT -- Hex+CAN & REVO Select Plus

North West -- John_O / Top cat. -- Hex+CAN

Nottingham -- 182_blue -- Hex+CAN

Nottingham -- Davo01 -- Hex+CAN

Wakefield -- barratt -- Hex+CAN

Pontypool -- Smudgester -- Hex+CAN

Poole (Dorset) -- alexperkins -- Hex+CAN

Reading -- Nathan -- Hex+CAN & REVO Select Plus

Sheffield -- Hurdy -- MicroCAN & REVO Select Plus

Solihull (South Midlands) -- Greeners -- Hex+CAN

Somerset -- Stokeballoon -- Hex+CAN

South East London -- Poverty -- Hex+CAN & REVO Select Plus

South Wales -- Rob GTI -- MicroCAN & REVO Select Plus

Southampton -- Saint Steve / Sparky Craig -- MicroCAN

Taunton -- StephenED30 -- Hex+CAN

Teeside -- Andy_GTI -- Hex+CAN

Teesside/North Yorks -- Scousus maximus -- Hex+CAN

Thanet/Kent -- James -- MicroCAN

Warrington -- Norbreck21a -- MicroCAN

Welling, South East London -- DanGB - MicroCAN

West Berkshire -- CocoPops -- Hex+CAN

Wiltshire -- vRS Carl -- Hex+CAN & REVO Select Plus

Woking -- Richn83 -- Hex+CAN

Wolverhampton, West Midlands -- Singh123 - MicroCAN + Revo Select Plus

:thumbup:

Living in Kent that may be easy for you , but in rural Scotland it is no so easy.Also the local dealer said it would cost to try, and could not say for sure if the things I wanted were able to be activated.

I have never had a car in my lifetime where any thing hardwired could not be switched off or on by using the manual, to set switches in various positions.Maybe it is a sign of the times!!!.

hey bob i'm thinking of buying one of dem devices for the car, if i buy one soon i will let you know if i do as im just along the road from you. in the mean time i will speak to my friend to see if any her volkswagon owners club friends for this area has one.

Edited by meta55

The BEST is the HEX+CAN as it is the most versatile - it will work on anything (both CAN based, like your MKII Octavia etc and non CAN based like the MKI Octavia, Fabia, MK4 Golf and generally older cars)

BUT for just CANBUS cars only the MicroCAN is perfectly good enough and a bit cheaper, this will not work on the older cars though.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys (and Gals!), just found this on ebay, but not sure if it is correct for my vehicle - Octavia 2011 FL. It lists Octavia 1Z 2004+ but I want to be 100% sure before I commit! I have messaged the seller but not heard anything back yet. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

That one is suitable for your 2011 car but not anything non CANBUS (MKI Octavia, Fabia etc)

Don't forget the licence in non transferable and will cost $99 from Ross-Tech, just bear that in mind if you decide to bid.

It is £208.64 delivered from Gendan (Ross-Tech distributor) compared to £264.95 for the HEX+CAN (which is suitable for ALL VAG cars).

Only you can decide if the more versatile interface is worth an extra £60 to you. You would be able to help people with older non CANBUS cars (if you wished to) and it will always have a higher re-sale price.

$99 is roughly £64 which means that the eBay lead has a maximum value of £140 (+£5 postage and $99 licence fee) BUT being eBay I bet it will go for MUCH more than that :giggle:

Gizmo, many thanks for the advice. I hadn't realised I'd have to pay a licence fee as well! I'll keep an eye on it, but as you say it's likely to go for more than the advised amount you mentioned.

You don't 'have' to pay a licence fee to use it, but when bought new they come with the licence for free, you however do not get any support from Ross-Tech without a licence.

It would be silly to pay more for a s/h cable (once you take the licence costs into consideration) than what you could buy it new.

the eBay lead has a maximum value of £140 (+£5 postage and $99 licence fee) BUT being eBay I bet it will go for MUCH more than that :giggle:

:giggle: and currently on £155 (+ £5 postage) with half an hour to go :giggle: muppets

And sold for £185 (+ £5 postage) :think: :wall:

Edited by Gizmo68

:giggle: and currently on £155 (+ £5 postage) with half an hour to go :giggle: muppets

And sold for £185 (+ £5 postage) :think: :wall:

Indeed. What fools! I always do my research before buying off ebay. Think I shall pay a visit to the Gendan website...

I cant get my VCDS to do very much on my mk2 vRS it wont do any adaptations or display any specified values :-( it works fine on other VAG cars tho.

One for the VCDS forum that, as that shouldn't be the case.

Mine came from them and I've not had any issues talking to any car since purchase. :)

yeah they offer good support I send them the autoscan today. It was working fine on the vRS until I started using 11 11.1 it still works fine on my girlfriends Arosa. See what they have to say.

That one is suitable for your 2011 car but not anything non CANBUS (MKI Octavia, Fabia etc)

Don't forget the licence in non transferable and will cost $99 from Ross-Tech, just bear that in mind if you decide to bid.

It is £208.64 delivered from Gendan (Ross-Tech distributor) compared to £264.95 for the HEX+CAN (which is suitable for ALL VAG cars).

Only you can decide if the more versatile interface is worth an extra £60 to you. You would be able to help people with older non CANBUS cars (if you wished to) and it will always have a higher re-sale price.

$99 is roughly £64 which means that the eBay lead has a maximum value of £140 (+£5 postage and $99 licence fee) BUT being eBay I bet it will go for MUCH more than that :giggle:

That's great info, thanks.

So to clarify, if i want to have VCDS for my own use only (2010 vRS) then I only need to spend 208 quid?

Will this also allow me to do a "reset" like my dealer did the other day after a fault code? I dont' mean just clear the codes, the did something akin to a re-boot or factory reset?

Edited by rob_e

Correct Rob. That cheaper cable only handles one interface, Micro-CAN which it suitable for VAG vehicles running CANBUS. So you'll be fine with that one for your Octy.

With that licensed cable in place you'll then be able to get full access to VCDS, which will allow you to carry out fault code resets, alter coding/configuration etc. In quite a lot of cases, it can perform these tasks more easily than the dealer's VAS diagnostic machine....

Hope this helps.

Correct Rob. That cheaper cable only handles one interface, Micro-CAN which it suitable for VAG vehicles running CANBUS. So you'll be fine with that one for your Octy.

With that licensed cable in place you'll then be able to get full access to VCDS, which will allow you to carry out fault code resets, alter coding/configuration etc. In quite a lot of cases, it can perform these tasks more easily than the dealer's VAS diagnostic machine....

Hope this helps.

Thanks Steve. I'll add this to my wish list.

:yes: