DSG on hills

curleybar

I have posted this one in here as hopefully it will get a good cross section of views and replies; as although I have an issue with my new Fabia owners of other models may also wish to comment....?

My new (collected Weds) Fabia vRS estate is already driving me nuts !

As we are having some work done at home, for the last 2 days I have parked the car in the road. We live towards the bottom of a hill (it is not as steep as a ski slope but leave the handbrake off and the car will roll to the bottom !) and the car was left facing up hill.

When I came to put it back on the drive at the end of the day, it will not move forward at all ! The car is in D and can only be likened to trying to pull away in a manual in Neutral. Eventually, the car will lurch forward and I am able to return it safely to my driveway.

Skoda Rescue have attended and of course it worked perfectly (could something simply reset..?) but his diagnosis did show a fault,

"Brake light switch implausible signal"...?

My car is going back to the dealer on Monday and after owning three trouble free Octavias in recent years I am already getting a little worried.

So guys, the crux is has anyone ever experienced anything like this..?...a search suggests not and does anyone have any comments or suggestions please...? "Park downhill" ...is not allowed...

Thanks for reading......

Nope... Mine moves away on hills fine (done 20k in it now) if the hill holder is operating, you need to give it a second to release the brakes before giving it gas, but nothing like you describe... Sounds like you have a specific problem, if the brake switch is not working properly, it would mess up it's ability to hill start..

Hope you get it fixed, disappointing fir a new car :(

Mine's an octavia CR DSG and is a total dog when starting from cold, lurching hesitating and a long delay before engaging and moving embarrassing when needing to pull out of my drive sharpish. after a few minutes its fine, wouldn't be without it.

Put it in 'P' with your foot on the brake, while foot still on the brake apply handbrake.

When you want to move off, foot on brake, handbrake off, move lever from 'P' to 'D' and foot off brake to gas.

You may have the hill hold still working the way you do it so try above and see if it lurches or moves off normally. Takes a while to get used to DSG and hill hold if used to a manual for years.

"Brake light switch implausible signal"...?

That is the answer! If the DSG box thinks the brakes are on it will not engage the clutch. It uses the brake light switch as the detector so a faulty brake light switch that shows "brakes on" when they are in fact off will cause the problem you describe.

A faulty brake light switch also means your cruise control won't work as it uses this same signal to switch of the cruise when you use your brakes. On my Audi I've had about seven of these darn things replaced over 110,000 miles. Why on earth VAG don't change the design to something that works I really don't know. At one point I was considering buying two and having a spare one in the car at the rate they were going!

The car is now back with my dealer and I have a very green vRS hatch covered in stickers extolling the virtues of the model & indeed the dealer.

I have to say it feels like a different car ! a few miles on the clock seems to loosen it up nicely.

Although I do look a bit of a tool in it...... :yes:

At least it does not seem to be my DSG incompetence but a switch problem.

Thanks guys...!

Edited by curleybar